What will the 2011/2012 season bring us in the men? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

What will the 2011/2012 season bring us in the men?

janetfan

Match Penalty
^ I think Weir made a press conference earlier this month saying he wont compete this season.

I believe too that he wont let that happen, but I dont mean he plans to get on poor form, what i meant was that before nationals last season I would never bet that Abott and Rippon would be beaten by the other two and would be left out. Maybe Mroz only although he had had a good season by then. In case of a bad night skate Us will leave the OC out?

Yes, a bad skate at Natls from Evan might leave him off the Natl team.
There is some wiggle room but if other US Men show they are clearly skating better at Natls Evan would probably not be selected if he does not finish 1st or 2nd.

Jeremy won a medal at 4CC last season so that could be considered but he did not make the GPF.
He could finish a close third at Natls and be selected but I doubt it. His record at Worlds is nothing to write home about especially compared to Evan.

US Skating is not run by a dictator and all of the skaters know what the deal is.
Natls is the qualifier for Natl team selection.

Last edited:

sigrid

On the Ice
It's gonna be an interesting season in the US field. 5 skaters have already gone to Worlds: Abbott (26), Rippon(21), Mroz(20), Miner(20) and Dornbush (19), and there're a lot of newbies who could make the world team. With just 2 spots, and Evan's comeback (that I will just believe when I see it) it's kind of turning point for most of them. They're young but they know that a lot of amazing skaters will battle them for the future World Teams, so they need to take a step forward this season.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
seniorita, I think that would be the ultimate test of fidelity to the rule of using Nationals strictly as a qualifier. But again, I think they would leave Lysacek off the team if he was in third.

I think Lysacek can beat all of the current U.S. men, except maybe Abbott if Abbott is at his best. I believe Lysacek does a triple Axel and triple Lutz combination in his SOI shows and charity performances, and that he is a workaholic and train-a-holic even while not competing.

Plus, he skates with so much ferocity that seeing him live, you always think he skated better than he actually did.

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
I think that this season was a breakout season for Dornbush, and I expect to see him on GP podiums. He has a fire in him, you can tell.....
Minor....I sorta feel like he will be a Matt Savoie. Really reliable, really awesome to watch, but never really taken seriously by the judges. That being said, I am a HUGE fan so far.
Evan...well see if he shows up.

My predictions for the World team next year is Jeremy and Dornbush.

I m really curious, if the newbies beat the oldies at the Nationals like last year, they would leave Abott and Lysacek home and send them at worlds?

Well, they left Abbott home last year when he was beaten by newbies Dornbush and Minor. Here is my take on it.

Historically the United States Figure Skating Association has bent over backward to avoid even the appearance of playing favorites in the selection process. The idea is that it is not the job of USFS to decide who deserves to go to worlds. Rather, it is their job to prescribe criteria that the skaters must meet, then leave it up to the skaters to decide the matter on the ice.

For instance, the official Statement of Responsibilities of the USFS International Committee says, in full:

The U.S. Figure Skating International Committee is responsible for the approval of criteria used to select and enter athletes to compete in all international competitions, the ISU Championships (World Championships, Four Continents Championships, World Junior Championships) and the Olympic Winter Games.

The current criteria do allow other events than U.S. Nationals to be taken into account. If Internet forums are any guide, there has been some pressure on USFS to mend their ways. So far they haven’t. I don’t think Lysacek is big enough to make them start now. (Michelle, maybe :) )

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think Lysacek can beat all of the current U.S. men, except maybe Abbott if Abbott is at his best. I believe Lysacek does a triple Axel and triple Lutz combination in his SOI shows and charity performances, and that he is a workaholic and train-a-holic even while not competing.

i really didnt mean that he cant beat them, I was probably just thinking loud that there are too many men who have the potential to be in the world team depending on the skate of the day. I m sure Lysacek will get back on form and with a Lori Nichol choreo he will be a sure bet.
that seeing him live, you always think he skated better than he actually did.

:X I missed the note then! :think:

Thats the most kind I can be in one day!:)

When the tumult and the shouting dies, it was Evan who got the 3 spots for the USFS due to his Gold Worlds 2009. However, the USFS wants a showcase for its selection of a Worlds/Olmpic Team. For 2011, It was nice to see Bradley Rise to the occasion, and Dornbuh and Miner, but were they the best Team? No other Federation will rely on a showcase to select their Teams.

It's all water under the bridge now, 2 places will be decided for World 2012 by the showcase method. The US Nats will decide the two. Meantime check out the GPs and see what the US has this season.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Miner....I sorta feel like he will be a Matt Savoie. Really reliable, really awesome to watch, but never really taken seriously by the judges. That being said, I am a HUGE fan so far.

Sadly, I feel this is what will happen as well. Miner's skating has more intricacy and more affinity to the music than Dornbush's, but it's not as "macho" and thus he scores less.

Although, really, the U.S. Men's title is completely up for grabs this year. If any of the guys are able to get the Quad consistent, and nobody else can, they will be U.S. Champ (assuming that the rest of their skating is consistent and considered at a high enough level to draw in the PCS).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Aren' t Jason Brown and Joshua Farris still skating juniors internationally, but seniors nationally?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I can't see Lysacek as the OGM being left off the world team even if he's not his best at nationals, unless he totally tanks. I know Jeremy was left off the team last year, but Jeremy isn't an OGM or even a Worlds medalist. I think the world team will probably be Lysacek and Abbott or Lysacek and Dornbush.

^ I hate to be so dogmatic about this, and one day I will turn out to be wrong...but...

Evan's reward for winning the Oympic gold medal was the Olympic gold medal. He won't be going to 2012 Worlds unless he finishes #1n or #2 at 2012 Nationals. ;)

(Just my opinion, of course. :) )

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott at his best, as in 2010 Nationals, is the best of all US Men in many years. It was so brilliant and became an expectation. But his inconsistency is obvious if one looks at his record. As his fan, I have to accept that while hoping to see him show us again how he can dazzle us.

OTOH, looking up Evan Lysacek's record, I have to appreciate his impressive winning consistency. Since 2005, he was off the podium only twice, being very respectable at 4th at 2006 Olympics and 5th at 2007 worlds.

As for 2011-12, Jeremy, having solved his skate problems of last season, may yet bring his best . So I hope. Evan, OTOH, didn't compete for a whole year and from the description of how hard the recent return to training was on him physically, may not be fully ready or close to being back to his peak of 2009-10. These days, even his previous peak is likely not good enough for him to podium without a consistent quad. If he can do a dependable quad, he will be a dangerous threat given his proven competitiveness.

Last edited:

sigrid

On the Ice
Evan's reward for winning the Oympic gold medal was the Olympic gold medal. He won't be going to 2012 Worlds unless he finishes #1n or #2 at 2012 Nationals. ;)
I totally agree, and the USFSA would be really hypocrite if let's say... Evan finishes 3rd at Nats and goes to Worlds instead of the silver medalist.

I can't see Lysacek as the OGM being left off the world team even if he's not his best at nationals, unless he totally tanks. I know Jeremy was left off the team last year, but Jeremy isn't an OGM or even a Worlds medalist. I think the world team will probably be Lysacek and Abbott or Lysacek and Dornbush.
I believe the USFS is set in its ways for selecting the World Team, and I believe Evan will have to skate US Nats and place lst or 2nd to become part of the Team for 2012 and onwards. Didn't they do that to Sasha Cohen despite her podium Oly?

I began noticing Evan at 2005 Worlds in Moscow where he snared a bronze medal way from some top skaters. He doesn't have the fan base of a Weir, Lambiel, or Joubert but he does his thing and CoP awards him without reference to personal tastes. The more flashy skaters presently competing for the USFS would be a good test for one GP and see how well he compares for the US Nats.

Then again I don't think any of us are aware of his practicing for US Nats. He may be practicing to keep in shape for exhibition purposes. It's his livelihood.

(With 2 SPs and 2 LPs during the GP series, a fan should be able to notice how well a skater is holding up for the new season.)