What will the 2011/2012 season bring us in the men? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

What will the 2011/2012 season bring us in the men?

Neda

Rinkside
Peter Liebers suffers serious injury. He has been rehearsing with a new choreographer in Toronto (Canada) and broke his sacrum. He needs costly surgery and likely skips this season. :scowl:

Peter Liebers suffers serious injury. He has been rehearsing with a new choreographer in Toronto (Canada) and broke his sacrum. He needs costly surgery and likely skips this season. :scowl:
Very sad to hear that. He was coming a long fine the past season and I thought he might become a podium contender.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

Omg, that sucks. I thought he could really improve next season too.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here's the GP lineup

Skate America
van der Perren
Brezina
Amodio
Peter Liebers
Contesti
Kozuka
Daisuke Murakami
Dornbush
Lysacek
TBD USA

Skate Canada
Chan
Rogozine
TBD Canada
Preaubert
Takahashi
Denis Ten
Fernandez
Majorov
Miner
Rippon

Cup of China
Guan
Wu
TBD China
Joubert
Hanyu
Oda
Gachinski
Abbott
Dornbush

NHK
Verner
Contesti
Kozuka
Takahashi
TBD Japan
Menshov
Schultheiss
Mahbanoozadeh
Miner
Mroz

TEB
Chan
Reynolds
Nan Song
Brezina
Amodio
Joubert
TBD France
Oda
Lysacek
Rippon

Cup of Russia
Rogozine
Brezina
Verner
Hanyu
Gachinski
Voronov
TBD Russia
Fernandez
Abbott
Mroz

Here's the GP lineup

Skate America
van der Perren
Brezina
Amodio
Peter Liebers
Contesti
Kozuka
Daisuke Murakami
Dornbush
Lysacek
TBD USA

Skate Canada
Chan
Rogozine
TBD Canada
Preaubert
Takahashi
Denis Ten
Fernandez
Majorov
Miner
Rippon

Cup of China
Guan
Wu
TBD China
Joubert
Hanyu
Oda
Gachinski
Abbott
Dornbush

NHK
Verner
Contesti
Kozuka
Takahashi
TBD Japan
Menshov
Schultheiss
Mahbanoozadeh
Miner
Mroz

TEB
Chan
Reynolds
Nan Song
Brezina
Amodio
Joubert
TBD France
Oda
Lysacek
Rippon

Cup of Russia
Rogozine
Brezina
Verner
Hanyu
Gachinski
Voronov
TBD Russia
Fernandez
Abbott
Mroz
Doris - How did you get this list? I believe I read that the full GPs would be published later. Anyway, for the Men, it looks like nailbiting in each venue. There are TBDs in each GP. I presume that is left for the for the respective Fed to name another skater. There doesn't seem to be any vacancies for an elite skater to have 3 goes at it. Maybe, like Liebers, or other WDs the ISU will assign a skater already with two comps to skate a third. I believe the previous ways was to assign the next in line from ISU total scores.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes-I checked the entry lists, and they were updated!

TEB will be amazing in the men's!

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
What are the odds of Armin grabbing the other spot at Skate America?

I think if he competes this summer & lands a quad his chance will be good. If no quad then I believe that spot will go to either Keegan Messing (who almost landed a quad at Nationals) or to Max Aaron, our current Jr. National champion.

^ The bar for Armin would then be higher than the bar for Evan. But it's true -- now is the time for Armin to surge forward... or not. Go, Armin!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Some thoughts.....

For me, the one to watch is not TEB, which is definitely stacked, but CoC. A number of narratives we saw from this season will play out there.

1. Can Reynolds right the ship? There's only two spots available, and Balde, Rogozine and Lam are all going to chase it with him. It's easy to blame injuries, and he did have one, but I think his issues started well before that.

2. Hanyu vs Oda.... How close do they score especially if both are clean? Both have quads, and both seem to be angling for that third spot. You've gotta think Oda is in a little more precarious position due to the stacked field at TEB (it's very likely that one of the Japanese men will earn their spot on the World team at the GPF, and these past two seasons, that's been Oda)

3. Abbott vs Dornbush. Speaking of righting the ship.... Abbott missing the World team was perhaps the biggest surprise of the season. If Evan does come back, the competition for those two spots became a little stiffer, and Dornbush had a beauty of a season last year. Can he get some real momentum going?

4. Speaking of momentum, what about Gachinski? He displayed nerves of steel in Moscow, but now people have even more expectations of him.

5. Once more, unto the breach for Brian Joubert. Is he going to clutch that brass ring (aka, be the first single skater to win all six GP events + GPF) or is it merely chasing at windmills? There's no one here he hasn't beat (except Hanyu - they haven't met in head to head competition).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm interested in Hanyu vs Gachinski, both up and comers but Gachinski got the opportunity to go to Worlds 2011 while Hanyu was left at home due to the deep Japanese Men's field.

Eta Skate Canada has great line-ups too.

The bar for Armin would then be higher than the bar for Evan.

As per ISU rules.

Evan is guaranteed two events as a "come-back" skater. Someone who previously finished in the top six at worlds, but took one or more years off from competition.

seniorita

Record Breaker
3. Abbott vs Dornbush. Speaking of righting the ship.... Abbott missing the World team was perhaps the biggest surprise of the season. If Evan does come back, the competition for those two spots became a little stiffer, and Dornbush had a beauty of a season last year. Can he get some real momentum going?

I m really curious, if the newbies beat the oldies at the Nationals like last year, they would leave Abott and Lysacek home and send them at worlds?

I m really curious, if the newbies beat the oldies at the Nationals like last year, they would leave Abott and Lysacek home and send them at worlds?
One thing about "newbies" is that they are fearless. They are not expected to do well, therefore the nerves are quiet. Dornbush and Miner are no longer "newbies" because both had a taste of Worlds, and were seen by the elite fans. They will be expected to do better this season and hence the nerves will not be as quiet as before. Among the US Men to watch for improvements this season will be Dornbush and Miner but also Brown, Farris, and the two who did well in juniors last season. They are aiming for Sochi.

Those who are going for the "Last Hurrah" will be Jeremy, Adam, maybe Brandon. Their rosd to Sochi is not as clear, imo.

I don't know where Lysacek fits in or Weir for that matter.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

I would wager so, but I doubt Lysacek would let that happen - if it turns out he can't beat them hands down, he won't compete. It's one thing to be out of the running for a medal at Worlds. It's another to be competing to leave your own country.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ I think Weir made a press conference earlier this month saying he wont compete this season.

I would wager so, but I doubt Lysacek would let that happen - if it turns out he can't beat them hands down, he won't compete. It's one thing to be out of the running for a medal at Worlds. It's another to be competing to leave your own country.
I believe too that he wont let that happen, but I dont mean he plans to get on poor form, what i meant was that before nationals last season I would never bet that Abott and Rippon would be beaten by the other two and would be left out. Maybe Mroz only although he had had a good season by then. In case of a bad night skate Us will leave the OC out?