When will Johnny be in Stars on Ice? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

When will Johnny be in Stars on Ice?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't think being "snubbed" has anything to do with his alleged sexual prefences. Johnny's has a big mouth which Rudy Galindo did not have. You never know what he will say or do next and why would any corporation want to deal with that? Of course all the Lady Gaga worship can't help, nor can his history with the fur etc.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: Fur, that's true. One of the few times I've ever been disappointing in something Scott was a part of was when he joined with PETA shortly before the 2002 Olympics. Maybe there is a connection there.

antmanb

Record Breaker
In the United States there is a considerable movement that fears that "toleration of gayness" is undermining the moral fabric of the nation, corrupting its youth, and will lead to the the downfall of the republic. ("Communism" used to enjoy this niche.)

In this view the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, was God's retribution upon us for allowing gays to serve in the U.S. army.

Really? I thought that was just lunatics like the Westboro Baptist Church folks? That's really surprising to me but at the same time i'm not sure how "phobic" that is so much as general hate-mongering.

Ant

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
Really? I thought that was just lunatics like the Westboro Baptist Church folks? That's really surprising to me but at the same time i'm not sure how "phobic" that is so much as general hate-mongering.

Ant

It's not, Ant. Check out Bishop Harry Jackson and his church's fight to stop gay marriage in DC. One of his main arguments is that gay marriage will "undermine the moral fabric." Ironically, Bishop Jackson and his church are both from Maryland.

I agree that Johnny could be easily added to the SoI tour and one of those silly pieces about how fun it is to skate or whatever could be eliminated. Nobody has to be kicked off to make room for him if SoI really wanted him.

And re the gay community getting involved in this, it was only a matter of time before GLAAD got into it. They are the gay media watchdog organization and comment on all issues they perceive as affecting the gay community. Any celebrity not being hired for a tour because their gender expression is not "family friendly" is something GLAAD will jump all over every single time.

layman

On the Ice

I love this part:

The tour said that was "simply not accurate."

"Please be assured that the 'gender identity and sexual orientation' of cast members has never been a consideration in the selection of tour performers," the tour statement said.

"While Stars on Ice wishes it could accommodate many more talented skaters as part of our cast, the fact is we cannot sign every skater," it said, noting that current U.S. champion Jeremy Abbott is skating with the tour.

The tour is saying...we don't discriminate against gays, we just hired Jeremy Abbott...but there isn't room on the tour for Johnny too.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Weir's plan is to stage his own tour, which he promised would be a "crazy, over-the-top fantasy show."

"It could be really incredible and something for everyone really," he said. "I mean, I'm not opposed to anything crazy -- Flying Elephants, Madison Square Garden, lots of glitz and glamour. That's what my show would look like."

:laugh:Yeah, imagine that! It's a circus.:laugh:

I don't think anyone could use discrimination against SOI. SOI skaters are like a family for a month. If anyone likes to act it out and do strange things, or even to get the media's attention negatively, he/she is not going to get along with others well, and it's going to be a pain for organizers.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
:laugh:Yeah, imagine that! It's a circus.:laugh:

I don't think anyone could use discrimination against SOI. SOI skaters are like a family for a month. If anyone likes to act it out and do strange things, or even to get the media's attention negatively, he/she is not going to get along with others well, and it's going to be a pain for organizers.

Maybe Johnny and his fans should also harass "Dancing With The Stars."

Johnny tried to get on that show and can you imagine they turned him down for Evan? :think:

Why do you suppose DWTS chose Evan and rejected Johnny? He should definitely sue them and have a boycott of DWTS for being so "anti-family" :laugh:

Let's not forget Coca Cola who dared to support Evan but not Johnny. Maybe Johnny's fans should also organize a boycott of Coca Cola.

Please feel free to add any organizations that have ever chosen anyone for anything over Johnny. These organizations need to be taught a lesson and since Johnny won't be at Worlds this would give his millions of fans something "positive" to do. :rolleye:

Sk8ingFan

Rinkside
SOI skaters are like a family for a month. If anyone likes to act it out and do strange things, or even to get the media's attention negatively, he/she is not going to get along with others well, and it's going to be a pain for organizers.

One season skaters on the Champions on Ice tour were together for 57 shows spread out over 3 months. I went to 3 of them in different cities. While I'm sure after such a long time together - riding on a bus and living out of suitcases - everyone was tired and homesick, I never read anything about Johnny not getting along with others or not doing exactly what the tour organizers wanted him to. That included wearing ill-fitting costumes and performing in multiple group numbers. So I think your speculation here is way off base.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The tour is saying...we don't discriminate against gays, we just hired Jeremy Abbott...but there isn't room on the tour for Johnny too.

That is not what SOI said! They mention Abbott as the current US Champion (which Weir is not and neither has he any major international titles or medals currently and only one WC bronze medal from the past). With the exception of the current US champion Abbott, all other men on SOI tour have more international titles or medals than Weir.

"While Stars on Ice wishes it could accommodate many more talented skaters as part of our cast, the fact is we cannot sign every skater," it said, noting that current U.S. champion Jeremy Abbott is skating with the tour.

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
I hope Johnny does get his own tour. I would love to see what he would do with it. It would be great to be able to go to two completely different ice shows.

layman

On the Ice
That is not what SOI said! They mention Abbott as the current US Champion (which Weir is not and neither has he any major international titles or medals currently and only one WC bronze medal from the past). With the exception of the current US champion Abbott, all other men on SOI tour have more international titles or medals than Weir.

Who are your trying to kid?

It's a well known fact that this tour does discriminate against gays and has done for many years.

Jeremy has been National Champion for two years. Why is he only now at the last second being invited? It's clearly for cover...a token to deflect attention from the lack of others (Johnny?) on the tour. I don't buy the notion that the tour boat will sink if you add a second gay to the cast.

Let's call it what it is. It's just ugly, bald bigotry and discrimination.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It's a well known fact that this tour does discriminate against gays and has done for many years.

Since it is "a well known fact", could you share with us the info, please, who are those gay skaters against which SOI has discriminated during many years? Personally I don´t even know which skaters of today are gay and which not (and could not care less...). The only gay skater that I know from past is Brian Orser and he skated in SOI, as far as I have understood?

Actually I believe that Abbott was invited to appear on the tour much earlier than this Weir petition fiasco even started. Besides being the current National champion, I believe that also the fact that Yuka Sato is his coach, had something to do with the invitation.

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
I'm hoping this boils up into a big old tacky diva feud between Weir and Hamilton. Big, tacky feuds are great for building and maintaining public interest.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm hoping this boils up into a big old tacky diva feud between Weir and Hamilton. Big, tacky feuds are great for building and maintaining public interest.

Kind of sad but very true.
And let's not forget what a publicity hound Johnny has always been. ;)

Now I am wondering why Rachael was passed over for Alissa and Mirai? Afterall Rachael is the current US Ladies champion.......

What possible reasons could SOI have for picking Alissa and Mirai but not Rachael?

And why is Ryan Bradly left out? He has many fans and seems a natural born entertainer?

Shouldn't everybodies favorite skater be part of SOI? :laugh:

And let's not forget Michelle! How dare she pursue her Master's degree at a time when skating misses her presence?

Maybe SOI should think about a petiton against Michelle so she will think twice before deciding to snub SOI and all of her fans just to go to college ;)

Now I am wondering why Rachael was passed over for Alissa and Mirai? Afterall Rachael is the current US Ladies champion.......

What possible reasons could SOI have for picking Alissa and Mirai but not Rachael?

And why is Ryan Bradly left out? He has many fans and seems a natural born entertainer?

Shouldn't everybodies favorite skater be part of SOI?
:laugh:
Um, only if SOI wants to sell tickets.