When will Johnny be in Stars on Ice? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

When will Johnny be in Stars on Ice?

redhotcoach

On the Ice
As liberal as most figure skating fans may be around the world, the reality is that the bulk of the USA is not. SOI is a commercial enterprise, out to make money, not to provide skating fans with the best talent - but the most entertaining, non-controversial show that draws in crowds. Let's face it - no matter how liberal and accepting fans, coaches, other skaters are of gays in the sport .....no matter how main stream being gay may appear on Will and Grace, or Ellen, or other TV shows ......the majority of Americans are very conservative. How many states allow gay marriage? The most lotus-land of them all - California - home of San Francisco---have rejected gay marriage.. and in some southern states it is still a crime.

SOI isn't Disney - but you can bet they are trying to squeeze the maximum $$$ profits from a recession worn economy - and perhaps Johnny Weir's flamboyent style is not the crowd pleaser SOI wants. Is this fair? Is this equitable? Is this right? Of course not - at least the way we fans that appreciate all athletes for their talent rather than their sexual preferences.

A gay friend of mine said, in response of a question about Johnny's pink outfit at Olympics......pink is only a color. Johnny's costumes are just that --costumes. The fact remains that whether we like his style of skating or not -- he is a master of the technical skill required in the sport - gay or not.

Jhar55

Medalist
HUMM, how is Johnnie not family friendly? Aren't the people who go to SOI the same people who go to compatitions and watch on TV? And so far I've not heard of anyone having been emotionaly damaged from that so what the heck?
Tom Collins's you need to start COI back up!!!!!

janetfan

Match Penalty
I thought I just read that Johnny said he is not going to Worlds because he needs a break in order to rework his technique.
How could Johnny possibly hope to achieve such a major goal while touring with an ice show?

I am not saying Weir intentionally lied to US Skating and his fans - but something in his recent statement seems odd to me.

How could Johnny do the intensive training necessary to rework his technique while touring with SOI, KOI or any other show?

Can't wait to hear the anwers to this question ;)

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I suppose that only those who are specifically interested would go to the SOI, which I think would be pretty selected samples of ppl. I love FS to the extent that I come to the board, but don't go to shows unless I can see someone/something really special. Those who've been interested in FS enough to come to shows would have already seen Johnny countless times. It's just strange that they won't have such a familiar face like his.

tarotx

On the Ice
Rachael is actually doing some dates on SOI this season. I think there all west coast though that was probably her decision. I think except for Micheal Weiss, Mirai and Alissa everybody on tour is either Olympic medalists, world champions or the current US national champions. I wonder how the tour will be this season. I don't want the tour to turn into COI.

Oh well back on topic...

I really doubt Johnny being not family friendly enough for Smuckers is the reason he's not on the tour. I know I would either love or hate spending hours stuck with him depending on if he was ok with me at the time being. As for skating I would pay to see him do a program like his Swan but his Gaga not so much.

Last edited:
Apparently, the topics on SOI and Weir were joined although one was about Soi rejecting him. Probably for the sanctity of family values whatever they are.

I suppose that only those who are specifically interested would go to the SOI, which I think would be pretty selected samples of ppl. I love FS to the extent that I come to the board, but don't go to shows unless I can see someone/something really special. Those who've been interested in FS enough to come to shows would have already seen Johnny countless times. It's just strange that they won't have such a familiar face like his.
First, SOI currently caters to little kids much more than fans so if that's their goal, I suppose being "family friendly" in a very broad sense would have to be a concern of theirs. My contention is that there's nothing family unfriendly about Johnny or his skating. Gaga is the only possibly dubious number and if they don't like it he doesn't have to do it.

Second, where do you get the idea that there are many other opportunities for people to see Johnny? I've only seen him live twice and I'm in a major market (NYC area). One was COI and the other was a one-time special show. I would love to see him again while he is in his prime as a skater. That's why SOI is important.

Those (including Johnny) who think he can just start another tour are delusional. He's not THAT famous. It must be wildly expensive to rent an arena and collect a bunch of elite skaters. He might be able to pull together a few shows in training rinks but only 500 people or so would get to see each one.

janetfan said:
...Alissa...

Ms Family Values herself! Pretty as a princess, every time she skates I expect Prince Charming to rush out onto the ice and marry her and live happily ever after. I think children will love her on tour. :love:

Jhar55 said:
HUMM, how is Johnnie not family friendly?

Indeed! Has Johnny ever said anything against the concept of family? Does Johnny not cherish his family?

Spun Silver said:
Gaga is the only possibly dubious number.

I don't see anything dubious or unfriendly to families about Poker Face. It has a good beat and it's fun to dance to. I doubt that children or teenagers think Lady Gaga is a bad person. They think she's cool!

Last edited:
The bigger question is Scott Hamilton implying that family values are what SOI is all about, and Johnny does not fit in?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Those (including Johnny) who think he can just start another tour are delusional. He's not THAT famous. It must be wildly expensive to rent an arena and collect a bunch of elite skaters. He might be able to pull together a few shows in training rinks but only 500 people or so would get to see each one.

Scott Hamilton didn't have half the wealth/value he does now. He got his agents/agency to back him up. There's nothing stopping from Johnny doing the same.

Everyone wants Scott to do it all for him, maybe Scott is. Johnny could get just as 'self-righteous' as Scott did in the 80s after being 'fired' from Ice Capades. Johnny could have his own show if he was passionate enough about it to start banging on doors before finally finding one that he can kick down. But does Johnny want that responsibility?

Re: Tom Collins bringing COI back - he can't. He'd have to start a whole new show with a new name. SOI bought out COI after COI went under. Wasn't exactly the smartest move, IMO, as it's pretty much been financial suicide.

It's only been since Scott Hamilton, Jef Bilings (is he a bigot too? :unsure:), and Chris Dean (though not recently) took over the directing/creative decisions that SOI has gone more 'family friendly'. Though the show did start out that way, during it's peak years it was very 'adult' in tone. The Rolling Stones medly. Just about all of Kurt's sexy number, etc. I mean it wasn't a "Sex Bomb" routine by Plushy or Candelloro (who did it first and was even more disgusting, IMO), but a lot of routines left a ton to be desired. I haven't watched the TV version since 2003 because I just can't get into the show. Sandra Besic's leaving (on her own accord because she was 'disgusted' with teh sport for like half a day) was the worst move... then the furnature on ice obsession Chris Dean had really killed the momentum. SOI is becoming what Scott was trying to break away from in the 80s and early 90s.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
First, SOI currently caters to little kids much more than fans so if that's their goal, I suppose being "family friendly" in a very broad sense would have to be a concern of theirs. My contention is that there's nothing family unfriendly about Johnny or his skating. Gaga is the only possibly dubious number and if they don't like it he doesn't have to do it.

Second, where do you get the idea that there are many other opportunities for people to see Johnny? I've only seen him live twice and I'm in a major market (NYC area). One was COI and the other was a one-time special show. I would love to see him again while he is in his prime as a skater. That's why SOI is important.

Oh, thanks for letting me know that the tour is often for little kids. No, I didn't mean seeing Johnny countless times in person, but seeing him countless times on TV.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Just thought I would mention what's happening. After signing out from checking my email, I find that MSN is offering a Bing Searches link that prominently features a photo of Johnny with "Stars on Ice vs. Johnny Weir?". I saw it earlier today, and I notice that the number of news organs running the story is increasing. It now includes some very prominent news sources, with links to their versions of the stories.

http://www.msn.com/?ocid=hmlogout

That is the page with the Bing searches link on it.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Johnny+Weir+rejected+for+Stars+on+Ice&go=&form=msnhal

That is the page to which the link takes you to the various news source links on this topic.

nubka

Final Flight
Ms Family Values herself! Pretty as a princess, every time she skates I expect Prince Charming to rush out onto the ice and marry her and live happily ever after. I think children will love her on tour. :love:

Indeed! Has Johnny ever said anything against the concept of family? Does Johnny not cherish his family?

I don't see anything dubious or unfriendly to families about Poker Face. It has a good beat and it's fun to dance to. I doubt that children or teenagers think Lady Gaga is a bad person. They think she's cool!

Maybe the crotch-grabbing part ? :think:

elinmand

Rinkside
I find Johnny Weir to be interesting and entertaining in a way that most figure skaters are not. Great as she was, did Michelle Kwan ever utter anything but the most predictable platitudes? Does Evan Lysachek have a sense of humor? (The last COI program I saw Evan do was almost insultingly sloppy. The most interesting skater at that stop was Rohene Ward, whose competitive history is less than stellar, but is one of the best show skaters in the business and will never get hired because he lacks the hardware.) Do we know or care what Jeremy has to say about anything? I'd rather have coffee with Johnny than all the rest put together. I know we'd have lots to talk about.

I'm also a big fan of one of Lady G's dancers, so I can appreciate Johnny's homage to her.

I haven't been to SOI since Kurt Browning stopped touring with them, and i probably won't unless they bring in someone equally appealing.

I find Johnny Weir to be interesting and entertaining in a way that most figure skaters are not. Great as she was, did Michelle Kwan ever utter anything but the most predictable platitudes? Does Evan Lysachek have a sense of humor? (The last COI program I saw Evan do was almost insultingly sloppy. The most interesting skater at that stop was Rohene Ward, whose competitive history is less than stellar, but is one of the best show skaters in the business and will never get hired because he lacks the hardware.) Do we know or care what Jeremy has to say about anything? I'd rather have coffee with Johnny than all the rest put together. I know we'd have lots to talk about.

I'm also a big fan of one of Lady G's dancers, so I can appreciate Johnny's homage to her.

I haven't been to SOI since Kurt Browning stopped touring with them, and i probably won't unless they bring in someone equally appealing.
Can you imagine Johnny and Rohene skating together? WOW.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Do we know or care what Jeremy has to say about anything? I'd rather have coffee with Johnny than all the rest put together.
That's just YOU and what you are.
You can HAVE your own taste but by speaking it publicly in this way, you just insulted Jeremy and a lot of people who like his skating and his genuine personality.
And what does SOI have to do with your having coffee with Johnny? Absurd.

It's a well known fact that this tour does discriminate against gays and has done for many years.
Jeremy has been National Champion for two years. Why is he only now at the last second being invited? It's clearly for cover...a token to deflect attention from the lack of others (Johnny?) on the tour. I don't buy the notion that the tour boat will sink if you add a second gay to the cast.
Let's call it what it is. It's just ugly, bald bigotry and discrimination.
What do YOU really know?:disapp:

Last edited:
i would say the management question is one reason he'll probably never skate with soi. Another is his .... Style. The two contribute to each other and aren't mutually exclusive.

Plainly put, he doesn't fit the image of male skaters as straight sex maniacs that soi so carefully cultivates. a few years ago the show might have been described as ssssoi (stars simulate straight sex on ice)

:rofl:

Yes, we need rugged outdoor skaters like Skate Boarders.

silverling

Rinkside
I thought I just read that Johnny said he is not going to Worlds because he needs a break in order to rework his technique.
How could Johnny possibly hope to achieve such a major goal while touring with an ice show?

I am not saying Weir intentionally lied to US Skating and his fans - but something in his recent statement seems odd to me.

How could Johnny do the intensive training necessary to rework his technique while touring with SOI, KOI or any other show?

Can't wait to hear the anwers to this question ;)

To rework his technique, He needs money.
He said it takes more than 90000 dollars a year to keep skating. and most of figure skaters take this amount of money a year to keep skating. - It's no secrect. and it's really LOT'S of money.
Does he have anywhere else to make money other than doing ice show? If he doesn't do this ice shows than how can he buy the foods that he need to survive? how can he pay his rant and water bills and etc? His parents don't have money. and he is an adult.
Prize money don't even come cloze the money he need to keep skating.
How can he rework his techniques without doing the shows? Does the money falls down from the sky? Does he have any sponser? (except Rindell who gives only skates not money). Your post is just ridiculous. What is wrong with you??

Last edited: