Which skaters would you have liked to have seen at the Olympics? | Golden Skate

Which skaters would you have liked to have seen at the Olympics?

viennaskater

Medalist
I'm so happy that the Games are taking place and congrats to all participant skaters. However, there are some whom I wish had been selected or been able to take part:

Dimitri Aliev - love his style.
Green/Parsons - I love the originality of their FD and wish it was being better rewarded. If only we could have had 4 US teams though, they are all brilliant!
Zahorski/Guereirro - liked them so much better the last two seasons. Illness and COVID has really messed up their season.
Rika Kihira - sadly injured but she is such a beautiful skater.
Metelkina/Parkman (pairs from Georgia) - I am enjoying watching ALL Georgian skaters this season, so the more the merrier!
Reed/Ambrulevicius - love them, great music choices and lyrical dance style.

And so sorry for Vincent Zhou, who made it there and then couldn't.

Any skaters you miss?

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I bet many are going to say Malinin and Yan.

My vote goes to Hurtado/Khaliavin. I enjoy their dancing. I'd love for both Spanish couples to go.

Also, Kihira. And Bradie. And I still regret that Xiaoyu Yu had to retire before these OG.

Definitely feeling sorry for Vincent here, and the German pair, Hase/Seegert.

Idiote

On the Ice
Rika Kihira and Bradie Tennell, I really missed them this entire season and especially here at the Olympics.

I would have loved to see Liza Tuktamysheva, and also Ksenia Sinitsyna who is so exquisite.

Mai Mihara too. I would have loved to see more of Rino Matsuike, her programs are great especially her free, and Yuhana Yokoi as well. I'm glad the three of them managed to shine at 4CCs !

I'm sad for Kolyada. And I do admit I would have loved to see Malinin at these Olympics, though not at the expanse of Jason nor Vincent.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I'm so happy that the Games are taking place and congrats to all participant skaters. However, there are some whom I wish had been selected or been able to take part:

Dimitri Aliev - love his style.
Green/Parsons - I love the originality of their FD and wish it was being better rewarded. If only we could have had 4 US teams though, they are all brilliant!
Zahorski/Guereirro - liked them so much better the last two seasons. Illness and COVID has really messed up their season.
Rika Kihira - sadly injured but she is such a beautiful skater.
Elizaveta Tuktamescheva - I find her so much more artistic and enjoyable to watch than these young jumping machines.
Metelkina/Parkman
(pairs from Georgia) - I am enjoying watching ALL Georgian skaters this season, so the more the merrier!
Reed/Ambrulevicius - love them, great music choices and lyrical dance style.

And so sorry for Vincent Zhou, who made it there and then couldn't.

Any skaters you miss?
Again with the demeaning descrptions. Not surprised anymore, especially from this poster, but still disappointing.
And very telling that no one else you listed was described because you enjoyed them more than [insert nasty description of another skater here]

Now I don't even feel like listing who I wanted to see here, because these type of posts are really wearing me down.

Rudel-chw

On the Ice
Country
Chile
... no one else you listed was described because you enjoyed them more than [insert nasty description of another skater here]

I agree with your sentiment .. on my case, I too missed Liza a lot, as I enjoy watching her ... but no need to be nasty towards the other skaters.

Amei

Record Breaker
Again with the demeaning descrptions. Not surprised anymore, especially from this poster, but still disappointing.
And very telling that no one else you listed was described because you enjoyed them more than [insert nasty description of another skater here]

Now I don't even feel like listing who I wanted to see here, because these type of posts are really wearing me down.

The ironic thing is at least 2 of the 3 skaters here for the Russian ladies are more complete skaters than Tuktamysheva in my opinion, I would describe her as a jumping machine - if the jumps don't work the performance is not that good

lesnar001

Record Breaker
The ironic thing is at least 2 of the 3 skaters here for the Russian ladies are more complete skaters than Tuktamysheva in my opinion, I would describe her as a jumping machine - if the jumps don't work the performance is not that good
It's the constant need to put a certain group of skaters down in demeaning/insulting terms and lump them together as the same thing.
We get it already.
And of course, when "arms over the head" are discussed, the implication is this same group of skaters even if not named.
Nobody mentions that Loena uses this feature on more than a couple of her jumps now,
But of course, I'm sure she does it for purely "artistic" reasons and THOSE skaters are just trying to rack up points and keep from falling an their butts.

skycastles

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I honestly find Tuktamysheva to be quite an artistic skater, just not in the traditional way. The way she can get a crowd excited is pretty rare in figure skating-- her long program from the NHK in 2018 is a really good example of this. I genuinely think she has more than being only jumps, she can exude a lot of confidence on the ice and is evident in her performances.

Anyways, for skaters I miss-- I would have loved to seen Satoko. I know it's a long shot since her base value isn't the highest but she has really come to be one of my favorite skaters.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think the women's field would be better with Rika, Bradie, and Liza (but not necessarily replacing another talented Russian). I wish Ilya could have been a fourth Team USA man because he was so great at Nationals, but I enjoyed Jason's SP a lot more than I thought I would and I'm happy with his selection since he really does bring something unique that makes the competition more interesting.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think the women's field would be better with Rika, Bradie, and Liza (but not necessarily replacing another talented Russian). I wish Ilya could have been a fourth Team USA man because he was so great at Nationals, but I enjoyed Jason's SP a lot more than I thought I would and I'm happy with his selection since he really does bring something unique that makes the competition more interesting.
I agree. For me, it was Vincent who should have been left off the team. I thought that before his positive test and withdrawal. He certainly has scoring potential but, I just don't have confidence in his skating.

ana

On the Ice
Satoko Miyahara, Rika Kihira, Bradie Tennel, Mickhail Kolyada, Green/Parson, Anthony Ponomarenko/Christina Carreira, Conrad Orzel, Vincent Zhou, Allison Reed/Saulius Ambrulevicius.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

What do you mean? I think the poster is nothing but polite in their OP. :scratch2: And perhaps I'm missing something, but I have no idea how Liza got suddenly dragged into this conversation.