Which skating star has the best personality off the ice? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which skating star has the best personality off the ice?

Mafke

Medalist
My definition of 'best personality' is maybe a little different than most people's and runs along the lines of "Who would be the most interesting/fun to have dinner and drinks with?"

By that metric, Johnny Weir is the runaway leader.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
It's been several years since I spoke personally with any skaters but surprisingly my choice would have been Michael Weiss. He was very friendly & outgoing with fans (including me). I haven't met any of the current skaters.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Emily- I used to think she was really nice- she seems to be but lately I have gotten some of that "princess" attitude from her. It may be completely superficial but I just get that from her. Same with Katy Taylor- but she comes across as even more of a princess IMO.

"Princess" more aptly describes how Katy's fans feel about her than how she seems to perceive herself. Though all things considered, there really are no severe prima donnas in skating right now among the ladies.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Funny how a thread of "likes" gets turned into "dislikes" so quickly. I guess there are some that only want people to know what they don't like.

"Princess" more aptly describes how Katy's fans feel about her than how she seems to perceive herself. Though all things considered, there really are no severe prima donnas in skating right now among the ladies.

Funny, I don't get the princess vibe from Katy at all. :)

I like Kimmie the best, for reasons already stated here -- the down-to-earthness and genuineness. She seems real.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
For me I consider someone having a great personality that first off has one. I don't think many of the US stars actually have much of a personality?

I always found Sasha to have a great personality because even though she was never rude she didn't allow the commentators to talk down to her. I feel sometimes like Kimmie and Emily let them talk down to them like they're children which I find really obnoxious. I always got the feeling that Sasha would gladly tell you to stick it if she wanted to. Whereas when I watch Kimmie and Emily it's like they're robots or 7 years old. And of course Johnny has loads of personality; that's pretty much a given. I think he's definitely the most 'real' of them all.

For me as a teenager that's what I respect more. Not that you do a lot of charity work or whatever because anyone can do that but, that you're real and true to yourself. Charity work isn't hard and its fun. But, being yourself and not allowing others to define you is difficult.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Hmmm....

From my dealings I'd say the nicest and most down-to-earth of the ladies are Shae-Lynn Bourne and Albena Denkova. Of the ladies singles, Michelle Kwan.

Men - that's a toughie. So many good ones to choose from:

Johnny Weir is the most sparkling, upbeat, fun and genuinely caring. He is that guy that will run down to Starbucks to get you your Chai tea.

Brian Joubert is The Gentleman. Actually Vahktang Murvanidze also.

Overall class and sophistication, coupled with manners: Evgeny Platov and Peter Tchernyshev. Kurt Browning is in there too.

Most talkative: Alexander Abt

Smart, streetwise, and total survivor: Alexander Zhulin

Overall someone you can count on: Alexei Yagudin

nubka

Final Flight
Yu-Na Kim seems like a really nice, down-to-earth, girl. Kimmie, too.

morninglight

On the Ice
Among male skaters, I like Jeff a lot! He is just so adorable and cute! He looks so fresh and positive. I really like his big, happy smiles.

He also seems to be known as a very friendly person. He looks just an ordinary nice guy who may be hanging out around the college campus.

He is going to appear at Kimmie's Angel ice show. Good for him :) I wish I could go.

I saw a little clip of Mao and Yu-na. They look so cute together.

Yu-na sounds to be a calm, thoughtful young lady. She appears to be more mature than her actual age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6WN8wjBq34

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Matt Savoie has always been wonderful to talk to - smart, humble, down to earth.

Kimmie's "um's and uh's" really bother me along with the giggling. You've been in front of the media since US Figure Skating started pushing you when you won the Novice National title, and you still can't speak to the media!? Argh!

Fumie was so quiet when I met her, she hardly said two words she was so shy.

Debbie Thomas has a great personality. She went to med school with one of my friends from undergrad.

Among current skaters, Alissa is very sweet and polished.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kimmie's "um's and uh's" really bother me along with the giggling. You've been in front of the media since US Figure Skating started pushing you when you won the Novice National title, and you still can't speak to the media!? Argh!

This is where we differ in opinion. I think it's nice to see some of "the real her" in interviews. Better than the average yeah, so what look.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Alexei Yagudin-he's quirky lol

Anton S.

Kurt...

Kristi's a sweetheart

Scott Hamilton

Paul Wylie is also a sweetie pie

Angela Nikodinov...who hasn't she befriended??? lol

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's been several years since I spoke personally with any skaters but surprisingly my choice would have been Michael Weiss. He was very friendly & outgoing with fans (including me).

Miike is very personable. It was a pleasure to talk to him at his foundation shows. :agree:

Mathman, so did you get to talk to lovely Yuka? :) How was the show? We were lucky enough to shake her hand at 2004 SOI, together with Paul Wylie :bow: (yay for on ice seats). :biggrin:

Mathman, so did you get to talk to lovely Yuka? :) How was the show?
She and Jason walked right by me, but I was too shy to say anything. My mind was racing. The only thing I could think of was, "Ditch this guy and marry me."

No, wait, I could go with, "I was rooting for Surya in 1994, but you were pretty good, too."

No, wait... :laugh:

I am typing up my report on the show now. It was great. :)

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I'd vote for Michelle Kwan, Kimmie Meissner, and Kristi Yamaguchi. Michelle seems so warm, kind, gentle, and very appreciative of her fans. Kimmie comes across as just a nice kid, very simple, energetic, polite, and nice. And I've always thought Kristi was one of the classiest skaters in the business--always charming, pleasant, professional, and nice. Plus, her devotion to her charity work says a lot about her character.

discoduck

On the Ice
I have to say that when I have spoken with Kurt Browning, he has been very nice and took extra time to actually have a conversation. I was very impressed that at Ice Wars last year, he stayed while the crew was breaking down the set to make sure that he spoke to every fan who had stuck around.

Johnny Weir, too, was very nice after COI when we talked to him. He seemed genuinely touched when we praised his performance. I also love the fact that in interviews he has a no holds barred attitude. :rock:

Actually of the skaters I've been lucky enough to encounter I've only ever seen one who was downright rude to fans.