Which skating star has the best personality off the ice? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which skating star has the best personality off the ice?

cocovica

On the Ice
Tomas Verner - he is inteligent, charismatic, funny...:rock:
Michelle Kwan - She has charisma and is true atlet! and living legend!
Johnny Weir - I really like this guy! He is really interested in his fans! this is important!

feraina

Record Breaker
I don't know who discoduck thought was rude, but I can tell you that of all the skaters that I have met, the only one rude to fans was Plushenko. And I witnessed it at two competitions in a row (Euro & Worlds), so I don't think that it was a one-time slip.

discoduck

On the Ice
For me it was Evan Lysacek. He was downright rude to not only the fans but to other skaters during Skate America. I've heard that this isn't typical for him but it definitely left a bad impression with me. I will have to say that he was very nice after COI so maybe it was stress..I don't know but I'm still not a fan.

doubleaxel

Rinkside
Yu-na sounds to be a calm, thoughtful young lady. She appears to be more mature than her actual age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6WN8wjBq34

That's what I thought too. I admire how genuinely modest Yuna is in most interviews.

I also love the bubbly personalities of Caroline and Mirai, although Mirai seems a bit more humble and down-to-earth. They both show great promise along with some manners.

feraina said:
I don't know who discoduck thought was rude, but I can tell you that of all the skaters that I have met, the only one rude to fans was Plushenko. And I witnessed it at two competitions in a row (Euro & Worlds), so I don't think that it was a one-time slip.

I am surprised to hear that. In all of the interviews and fluff I've read about/seen, he seems to appreciate spectators who cheer him on (otherwise knows as "fans"). I am curious, how was Plushenko rude, if you don't mind sharing?

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
I've heard other people say they've encountered a nasty Evan Lysacek or some rudeness from his family. I usually dismiss stories like that but, I've heard it from several people now and some of them are my friends. Although they're all hardcore Johnny fans so they might be biased.

seafoam

Rinkside
With the disclaimer that I haven't met any of these people, so these are just impressions from interviews, fan encounters, etc.--

On the ladies side, Kimmie comes across as down to earth, funny, confident but not overly impressed with herself. She seems more of a athlete than an ice princess, which I like.

Of the guys, I love Johnny for his quick wit, his complexity, and judging from many fan encouters, his kindness to and appreciation of his fans. And he adores his mama, which is always a plus with me, lol.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can't think of a skater who's personality I don't like...

Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov are GREAT and a lot of fun to talk to

Kurt Browning made me melt into a puddle and cry when I got back to my hotel room for what he did for my little brother... sweetest guy! :love:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She and Jason walked right by me, but I was too shy to say anything. My mind was racing. The only thing I could think of was, "Ditch this guy and marry me."

No, wait, I could go with, "I was rooting for Surya in 1994, but you were pretty good, too."

No, wait... :laugh:

I am typing up my report on the show now. It was great. :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mathman, we were kind of shy with regard to Yuka way back in July 1997 when we saw "Skating Romance III" in Atlantic City, New Jersey. After the show we walked on the boardwalk, and noticed a cute young lady wheeling what looked like a skatebag. I said to my husband, "I think that might be Yuka." He said, "Go up to her and say hello." I really wanted to, but I was too shy, plus I said that I wasn't 100% sure that it was her. Her hair looked shorter than what I thought it was. It turns out that it must have been Yuka! Anyway, I'm glad we ultimately got to shake hands with her a few years later. :)

Kasey

Medalist
I've heard other people say they've encountered a nasty Evan Lysacek or some rudeness from his family. I usually dismiss stories like that but, I've heard it from several people now and some of them are my friends.

Seen it and heard of other instances as well. Not impressed.

On the flip side, Andrei Griazev is a sweetheart, and actually remembered me a year after he had met me once before, and took time to chat for quite a while until Vodorezova dragged him off to practice.

Michael Coreno and Allie Hann-McCurdy are extremely sweet and take a lot of time to talk to fans, as well as personal little "thank you's" even for signing their site guestbook. Michael is a total doll.

Jamal Othman (aside from teasing me last year at Skate Canada because my stuffies weren't making it onto the ice) is also quite adorable, and even sent a personal email after I had made a guestbook comment on his site....that alone was nice, but along with it, he actually remembered the stuffie-throwing incident and commented on it! (Months after the fact)

My only experience with Mike Weiss showed him to be a delightful person, very pleasant and polite.

Davis/White, again from Skate Canada last year, were very polite and pleasant with fans, as well as very respectful of other skaters (were sitting behind me during part of the competition, "ooohing and aahhhing" over the other teams).

Scott Davis, sitting with Vaughn Chipeur behind me at Skate Canada during pairs SP last year, very amusing running commentary between them and another person, and asking opinions of some of the fans watching about the programs. Talking to him later about his coaching, he was very funny, very approachable, and appreciative of fan recognition and comments.

I've seen and heard Emanuel Sandhu have great interactions with fans. I commented on a "bulletin" he had posted on "Myspace", and he wrote back a message....we went back and forth a couple of times on the subject, and he even mentioned something from one of my blogs. Quite cool.

There have been a lot more very brief interactions with various skaters, and I can't think of any that have been negative at all.

feraina

Record Breaker
I am surprised to hear that. In all of the interviews and fluff I've read about/seen, he seems to appreciate spectators who cheer him on (otherwise knows as "fans"). I am curious, how was Plushenko rude, if you don't mind sharing?

At Euros ('03 I think?), fans were lining up at the changing room exit to get autographs, and almost of the skaters came out smiling and friendly and signed the autographs and some stayed to chat, but Plushy came out without one smile, one autograph, even one eye contact. He just walked straight by with an arrogant look. I remember Worlds less well, but it was something similiar. He won both events, so it's not like he was really upset about something.

I seem to remember seeing him on TV saying how much he appreciated fans, etc, and I was really surprised -- because he sure didn't show it in person.

But is Lysacek rude and contemptous, or is he being honest, true to himself and interesting? Maybe "screw you" really is what he is thinking, and he doesn't want to come off as a phony. :biggrin:

Angelluv

Rinkside
I've met Johnny quite a few times, and he has always been more than nice. :) Melissa Gregory lights up when one talks to her. And i've seen Drew Meekins talk to fans, and he seems very personable.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
... don't know but I'm still not a fan.

I'm bound and determined to change that :laugh:

as for his family - I only met his cousin, and he was more into watching a football game on the ABC monitors than the skating competition... but he was funny and nice and gave us info on Evan's knee (?) injury... back in 05.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Kimmie seems really genuine and down to earth. My ex-boyfriend finds her totally adorable.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
And i've seen Drew Meekins talk to fans, and he seems very personable.
For the sake of my self esteem I refuse to believe someone that looks like they've just wondered out of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalogue is nice. ;)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
The nicest ones I've met have been the ones who are still making the ranks (probably because I've never met the ones who've made it! LOL)

Andrew Poje
Charlie White
The Potty brothers (known as the Pottengers)
Spencer Barnes
Rachael Flatt
Fedor Andreev
Jenny Kirk

All sweethearts!

discoduck

On the Ice
I'm bound and determined to change that :laugh:

as for his family - I only met his cousin, and he was more into watching a football game on the ABC monitors than the skating competition... but he was funny and nice and gave us info on Evan's knee (?) injury... back in 05.

Oh yeah! I do remember that. He was great..he had illegaly videotaped Espani Cani. :laugh: I kept hearing the music and I thought I was having a nightmare.

Teenes

On the Ice
I'm rather biased b/c I've interacted with Kurt the most, while I'm too shy in general to have real conversations or interactions with the rest of the skaters, but based on my experiences, I'd definitely have to say Kurt Browning. Not only b/c he's nice, friendly, funny, polite, and good to his fans, but because he's so openly admiring and generous about the people he works with, and gives credit freely where it's due, which I think is a good example for others. I've watched him interact with fans, other skaters, and crew members, and he's great to everybody.

Most every skater I've met has been nice and polite but the ones that stand out... John Zimmerman (extremely sweet and polite), Victor Kraatz, Yuka Sato (and Jason Dungjen), Emanuel Sandhu ...I need to stop listing b/c I know I'll leave someone out...