White boots or Beige boots? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

White boots or Beige boots?

Lotta

On the Ice
BLACK BOOTS! BLACK BOOTS ROCK! They should let girls wear black boots. :p

But I really like white boots. It looks more cooler and cleaner. Having tights over your skate makes you look barefoot with a blade on the sole. Ouch! :[

ritymeez

Rinkside
I actually don't look at the "skates" per say (I mostly look at the skater's carriage over the ice) so I really don't know. I guess white. :p

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
We ladies have Sonja Henie to thank for the introduction of white boots to figure skating. Actually, ladies of early days of figure skating wore black boots, just like the men!! Horrors - picture Sasha Cohen wearing a pair of men's boots!!! Sonja made the white boot pretty much a permanent part of women's skating. Flesh tone or beige boots became popular later.

I always wore white boots. However, I like both.

http://www.icesk8.com/clipart/boot2.gif

http://www.icesk8.com/clipart/skates2.gif

megsk8z

On the Ice
Count me as old, I guess. In my day, ladies wore white boots, unless they were professional, then they got beige boots. I still like the white boot/silver blades combination best, although I can see the sense in beige boots for synchro teams. My daughter wants gold blades, but I told her that she can't have them until she can land an axel. So I'm safe on having to buy any of those, probably forever. And I loathe over the boot tights, I think they make a person look like Herman Munster on skates.
I am in total agreement with whoever said *Clean* white boots. And clean laces, too.

katherine2001

On the Ice
RealtorGirl, I'm with you. I don't like the tights over the boots either--it looks as strange to me as going out with your socks over your shoes! :biggrin:

I prefer the white boots to the beige. If however, you wear the tights over the boots, why not get the beige boots and wear your tights inside the boots?

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
ROCK ON to those who said over the boot tights are awful. I really don't care what color your boots are as long as we can see the boots. Over the boot tights make it look like the skater has an enormous lump on the end of her leg. Extends the leg line? Not.

ceg15

On the Ice
I prefer white boots(I have white boots) but I don't mind beige. i know alot of people who have beige....some of my coahes have beige. :)

S

SkateFan4Life

I rewatched my videotape of Kristi Yamaguchi's "Salute to American Music" TV special. One of the numbers featured Kristi (white boots) and Rosalyn Sumners (beige boots) and Caryn Kadavy (beige boots). The color of the boots worked well for all of them. It's just their personal preference, I suppose.

I still like to see the beige boots, but that's just my own preference.

Tonya Harding had a pair of white boots with golden blades during the infamous 1994 Olympic season. They looked great on her, IMHO. I think that color-wise, golden blades look better with beige boots and that silver blades look best with white boots.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I prefer silver blades. Gold blades always remind me of Tonya Harding and I don't want to be reminded! ;)

katherine2001

On the Ice
They should only remind you of Tonya Harding if the person doesn't make sure they are screwed on tightly! That season that she had a blade loose, a broken lace (and she had not brought any extras with her and they had to be extra long since she did the TA), and the costume malfunction was something else!

IDLERACER

Medalist
Just for the record, when one types the words "Figure Skates" into a Google image search, not a single pair of beige skates emerges. Just lots of black and white ones. I don't even think you can purchase them off the rack that way. They have to be custom ordered.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Question: Aren't most rental skate boots beige? If so, it seems a little unusual that they are so expensive when boughten. :scratch:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
purplecat said:
Question: Aren't most rental skate boots beige? If so, it seems a little unusual that they are so expensive when boughten. :scratch:

Yes, that is true. However, most rental boots are the low-end, very flimsy boots that are never replaced. The boots that...for example, Katarina Witt wears, are of the higher-end...

it also had something to do with the dye in the boot. my rink pro once told me this. i forgot it all, but i do remember beige being more expensive than white, or black.

mpal2

Final Flight
We have some of those blue plastic nasty ones in the US too. That was motivation to buy my own, then they tore out the rink so no skating for me anymore. :cry:

Peggy

On the Ice
I like both white and beige skates but I think I like the look the beige color best because they look like an extension of the legs. I don't think I would like black skates on the lady skaters unless they had black tights on.
Peggy