Who DO you get? | Golden Skate

Who DO you get?

On the other thread we are listing the famous skaters who, for whatever reason, we just haven't made a personal connection with. What about those not-quite-so-famous skaters that do touch our hearts, for whatever reason, or for none?

To each his own

In dance, my faves are Watanabe and Kido. I don't know why -- they just always seem to be tickled to death to be out there entertaining us.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Is Matt Savoie a beautiful man? He is so smooth and relaxed. He makes me believe that he hasn't got a care in the world, and neither do I.

Different strokes for different folks

Amber Corwin What class! What a sweetheart! She will probably never achieve a competitive result better than her fourth place at U.S. Nationals, but she is a delight even so.

Move your feet
To the Nelidina beat

Move your feet
To the Nelidina beat

Move your feet...

In case you didn't recognize it, that was the different drummer, however measured or far away.

Ludmilla did a triple Axel right in front of me at Skate America. I think she winked at me as she was going up!

Plus, she is dedicated and modest, with a great respect for the sport, for the great champions who have gone on before, and for the skaters that she shares the ice with.

OK, so maybe she has some work to do before we say that she brings the total package. But I hope that she makes the Russian world team next year.

Mathman

PS. If you don't like the people on my list, then you are a mean snarky troll. ;)

(I just thought I would get that out of the way at the beginning :) )

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Mathman, I love Ludmilla, too, but alas, she had a nervous breakdown and quit skating. She was kinda funky to watch, I liked it. (I had sort of secretly hoped TT would take her on, and THEN we could see what kind of miracle worked Mama Tarasova REALLY is. :D)

I also love Matt Savoie and Amber Corwin.

But my most favorite "obscure" skater is Vakthang Murvandizde from Georgia. If you have not had the honor of seeing him live, you simply must make a special trip. (ABC will never show him, alas)

I also "get" Karel Zelenka and Sergei Davydov.

Laura :)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Hmmm...

Inoue & Baldwin: Maybe they aren't quite unknowns, but they do get a lot of flack (probably because they can't manage to skate cleanly). However, I always have a good feeling after watching them skate. They are honest and becoming so polished...they definitely are America's best hope for a solid pairs team. Even with all of the splats at Nationals, I still managed to like the program! It would have been so lovely if they had skated cleanly.

Ryan Jahnke (sp?): I absolutely loved his LP this year! So many other people thought the music was so strange, but I felt it suited him perfectly. He is such an elegant performer with smooth lines...I prefer him to almost all of the other American men.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I really like Kimmie Meisner, although I just want to grab her hands and shake them loose from the little blades she forms with her fingers. I cant wait till she moves up into the Sr ranks so I can watch her on TV. I've only seen her in the low quality clips I've downloaded off of soulseek, and from her exhibition at Nationals.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mathman:

You gave me quite a chuckle!!!!! Great post.

I have to add that as a former figure skater, I have the greatest respect for every skater that steps on to the ice and takes the risk in the competitive world of skating. We talk in general terms here about who we love and who we think is "so,so", but believe me none of those skaters got where they are without hard work, dedication and sacrifices.

Of course, my first love is to be out there myself gliding around, but since I have pretty much "hung up" my skates, I will be thrilled to watch all the skaters who are willing to take the risk and enjoy every moment!!!

PrincessLeppard said:
Mathman, I love Ludmilla, too, but alas, she had a nervous breakdown and quit skating. She was kinda funky to watch, I liked it. (I had sort of secretly hoped TT would take her on, and THEN we could see what kind of miracle worked Mama Tarasova REALLY is. :D)
I am sorry to hear it. Maybe she will recover after some rest. There is so much pressure on these young people. LikeLADskater says, I wish them all the best.
But my most favorite "obscure" skater is Vakthang Murvandizde from Georgia. If you have not had the honor of seeing him live, you simply must make a special trip. (ABC will never show him, alas)
I have had that pleasure. I saw him at Skate America, the same time I saw Nelidina and also Watanabe and Kido. In fact, this was the first and only time I have been to a top level competition (it was in my home town of Spokane, Washington, so I could pretend that I was going there to visit my mother). Anyway, that's pretty much my list of my favorite skaters -- all the folks that I saw live in competion, plus I got to hang out at the hotal hospitality room and meet some of the competitors, like Jenny Kirk:love: and her sister Emily:love:

Also, Kristi was there signing autographs, so my sister-in-law got her to sign her old (and I do mean old -- from the early fifties) skates.

Murvanidze was just fantastic. He came out there like he owned the ice, the arena and the Zamboni, too. He was the ringmaster who was putting on the whole show. I half expected him to rush on to the ice just before Michelle skated to announce, "And now here she is, ladies and gentlemen, just back from performances before the crowned heads of Europe,..."

Mathman

SusanBeth

Final Flight
S&Z There is a unity [not necessarily the same thing as unison] in their skating that appeals to me. By working together, they make themselves better. I seem them as being a true team. That's not a quality I see often and I like it.

Weir- He is still developing, but it certainly looks like he is building solid. I love the seeming ease of his movements. The stretch and finished quality of his positions are beautiful. I hope he can avoid injury and keep building on this. He could be one of the greats.

Cohen- I see the flaws. However, even in her worst skates, there have been moments of sheer beauty. That impresses me a great deal. Since jump mania has taken over figure skating, beauty has been harder to find.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, this is a no brainer for me - Todd!

I do not mind that he has done a lot of movie soundtracks. I feel he skates with lots of passion & conviction (particularly in masterpeice programs like "Il Mare Calmo Della Sera" and "The Glory"). He draws me into the music just about every time (so much so that I've bought so much of the music he has skated to - my CD collection thanks you, Todd). His spins are incredibly fast & centered. He times his jumps to the musical crescendos, and I love when he does his Russian Split jumps! He just moves me emotionally.

As for those who claim he only skates to movie soundtracks & Broadway , he continues to branch out as a pro, skating to "Channel One Suite" (in last season's SOI), and to this season's "Flamenco," not to mention his funny side in the SOI ensemble pieces (yes, he does have a sense of humor too).

When I watch Todd skate, I never get the sense that he is phoning in his performances. He gives it everything he's got! And boy, does he deserve all those standing ovations! :love:

sheilagh

Rinkside
There are a few skaters who I think epitomize "artistry on ice" while simultaneously displaying the high level of athletic skills one expects in a top flight, elite skater.

Jeffrey Buttle ...
Johnny Wier ...
Shawn Sawyer ...

These three are an absolute pleasure to watch ... though Sawyer needs more experience and who hopefully will majorly benefit from his new coaching change.

-- sheilagh

ITA with Jeffrey Buttle! It was a shame he didn't make the Canadian world team last year. Do the Canadian men get three spots next year?

MM

floskate

On the Ice
sheilagh said:
There are a few skaters who I think epitomize "artistry on ice" while simultaneously displaying the high level of athletic skills one expects in a top flight, elite skater.

Jeffrey Buttle ...
Johnny Wier ...
Shawn Sawyer ...

These three are an absolute pleasure to watch ... though Sawyer needs more experience and who hopefully will majorly benefit from his new coaching change.

You just listed my 3 favourite current mens skaters! I love them all and once Shawn and Jeff get consistent like Johnny, mens skating is going to be something to behold!

Yup these three I DO get!!!:love:

BrokenAnkle

Rinkside
The skaters I get are Elvis, Jennifer Robinson, Punsalen and Swallow (I miss them) and Ilia Klimkin. I've liked almost every program they have ever done, to me they just seem to work with music naturally

BA

Rachael

On the Ice
S/Z. Probably (IMO) the best team to come around in a long time. They are simply amazing.

Tim Goebel. Great jumps. great spins. Improving all around.

aliaschick

Rinkside
Relatively unknowns/ people that aren't at the top of the skating world that I "get" would include Chris Mabee, Shawn Sawyer, Annie Bellemare, Dube/Davison, Kimmie Meissner, and I guess these two teams are pretty well known but, Hoffman/Elek, Kerr/Kerr.
Of course there are tons of others, more "famous" I guess that I completely "get" but I don't feel like listing them

Kateri

On the Ice
Watanabe /Kido, yeah! They were great. And Hoffman/Elek.

I like skaters who are really giving it everything, not necessarily the ones who have the most "polish".

So I loved Viktoria Pavuk too.
And Fumie (can't call her unpolished!)

And all the Chinese pairs! S/Z most, then the Zhangs, then Pang/Tong ( they lose a couple of points cause I'm scared of her legs. No, really!) But I love them all.

Lambiiiieel!!
And Klimkin - I say this because I will make myself like him as much as Lambiel, since they are both similarly good, and otherwise I will have to admit to myself that I prefer L because he's *pretty*. And I'm trying to avoid that....honestly!:D

In my defense on this point, I say that I still like Matt Savoie, even though he's cut his hair (*fume*....:cry: )

kat...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Matt Savoie, Kevin Van Der Perren, Langlois & Archetto, Scott and Dulebohn, Gregory and Petukhov, Angela Nikodinov

shine

Record Breaker
I love Matt and I can watch him skate to Gershwin all day :love: and I have to admit that I find the long hair extremely sexy :D

lulu

Final Flight
shine said:
I love Matt and I can watch him skate to Gershwin all day :love: and I have to admit that I find the long hair extremely sexy :D

Me too! I'm probably the only person who liked Anton Sikharulidze's long hair and was :cry: when he cut it.;)

Kateri

On the Ice
lulu said:
Me too! I'm probably the only person who liked Anton Sikharulidze's long hair and was :cry: when he cut it.;)

not the only one!

k, campaigner for Long Hair On Men!