Who is your favorite USA lady and who do you think will come out on top this season?! | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Who is your favorite USA lady and who do you think will come out on top this season?!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
couldn't have said it better myself. If the ubers are wondering why some don't share their rosy opinion of their skater, perhaps they should look at themselves and realize they might be part of the reason.

There are a lot of reasons I could list why I don't like a certain skater but never in my criticism of a skater have I blamed uber fans or excessive gushing as a reason for not liking a certain skater. It is not the skater's fault that they have fans that are annoying. Hey but that is just me.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
There are a lot of reasons I could list why I don't like a certain skater but never in my criticism of a skater have I blamed uber fans or excessive gushing as a reason for not liking a certain skater. It is not the skater's fault that they have fans that are annoying. Hey but that is just me.

I totally agree. I can understand how you can hate the fans, but they have nothing to do with how a skater skates and shouldn't play a role in liking or disliking a skater.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I totally agree. I can understand how you can hate the fans, but they have nothing to do with how a skater skates and shouldn't play a role in liking or disliking a skater.

No, but you also may not want to be included in a group that contains such rabid people such as some of Zhang's freaky fans, or the Cohen ubers. If I already like a skater, wacky fans aren't going to turn me off, but if I already am not particularly fond of a skater, then their more psychotic fans don't really help in making me want to like that skater.

R.D.

Record Breaker

I was going to say something similar to AI: If you already like a skater, I can't see how uber-fans would turn you away from that skater. If you don't like a skater, the uber-fans in themselves wouldn't really bother you, either. BUT, if they started to get on your case because you don't share the same "love" for that skater, you might get a bit irritated after a while. Look, we all have differences of opinion on many issues, and no one is "wrong" and no one is "right" on anything. I come on here and see stuff like "why does CZ bore some people?" which is fine in itself, a question that many CZ fans would have, understandably. But what happened is that this mentality developed that if you do happen to find her boring, somehow you are "wrong." I won't speak for these people, but I know I don't like that feeling. If you like her skating, fine. If you don't, fine. No need for yet another fan war. We don't need another Kwanfan/Cohenfan bashfest. That one was nasty, apparently acknowledged even by some skaters (!), and I sure as heck hope a similar battle between fans doesn't develop.

My original statement was implying that a person ALREADY didn't really care for that skater. I should have made that clear. If you already like that skater, you wouldn't care about the ubers-heck, you might even agree with them.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I was going to say something similar to AI: If you already like a skater, I can't see how uber-fans would turn you away from that skater. If you don't like a skater, the uber-fans in themselves wouldn't really bother you, either. BUT, if they started to get on your case because you don't share the same "love" for that skater, you might get a bit irritated after a while. Look, we all have differences of opinion on many issues, and no one is "wrong" and no one is "right" on anything. I come on here and see stuff like "why does CZ bore some people?" which is fine in itself, a question that many CZ fans would have, understandably. But what happened is that this mentality developed that if you do happen to find her boring, somehow you are "wrong." I won't speak for these people, but I know I don't like that feeling. If you like her skating, fine. If you don't, fine. No need for yet another fan war. We don't need another Kwanfan/Cohenfan bashfest. I sure as heck hope a similar battle between fans doesn't develop.

My original statement was implying that a person ALREADY didn't really care for that skater. I should have made that clear. If you already like that skater, you wouldn't care about the ubers-heck, you might even agree with them.

Gotcha RD. Good post.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
you know what i wrote and said. it just made you mad . it is possible true what i said. as far as capital letters and puncatition. unless i have time to really write , which i usually dont.
i don't blame you. alot of what is being said on this forum is upsetting. not one of it is objective. it can't be. why because we are human and figure skating is an objective sport not a math sport or time sport. unfortunately that is why there is always cheating.
they cheated for micheal phelps. how--micheal being associated with omega which did the timing for swimming and they deepend the pool dept to help with the speed, and speedo made the suits so they could swim faster.
heck they cheat in all sports. unfortunately they didn't cheat for michelle and not going to cheat for caroline zhang becuase of their heritage.
why you guys was all up in arms about the chinese gymnast ages, but never once complained about other countries, or us ages in earlier olmpics being underage or the us figure skaters when they (grandfathered) them in which was supposed to. so yes, let us don't do what we demand from other countries.
let us cheat for us only and make other countries abide by the rules. if the U.S. don't like it tough.
what this got to do with favorite U.S. girl. Everything- it is how the U.S. is going to cheat for one U.S. girl over the other including politics.

Cheated for Phelps? I think all those swimmers swam under the same conditions. Oh wait, not everyone had to swim multiple races in one day . Phelps is super amazing and shame on you for insinuating that his 8 gold medals were somehow fixed.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
My apologies for getting back on topic - but I still hope that Katy Taylor gets her act together and makes a splash at Nationals.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
My apologies for getting back on topic - but I still hope that Katy Taylor gets her act together and makes a splash at Nationals.

I'm not really up to date on who is competing at regionals. Is Katy registered to compete at Regionals this year?

lmarie086

Medalist
I posted awhile back but forgot to mention Alissa Czisny. She's been doing so well lately but I'm afraid to vest any hope in her. She skates beautifully but isn't known for holding it together in a competition. Like I said about Katrina Hacker, if Alissa had the jumps (and the consistency for that matter) then I'd definitely be rooting for her big time. I'm just afraid to hope.

As to who I hope will come out on top this season, it's not a US lady. Yu-Na Kim is my fave internationally and I really hope she stays healthy the entire season so that she can reach Worlds fully trained and prepared to fight for the world title. IMO, it would be a crime for her to never win at Worlds, so I just hope she stays healthy.

This is a prediction thread, and from watching these kinds of threads, it is basicly a prediction hope thread.

I have no favorites, but based on what I've seen so far which includes the skates in Gothenborg, I would say Mao, YuNa, and open for a bronze.

For the US Nats which should be a humdinger for the podium, I would say, in no particular order: Meissner, Flatt and Zhang. That is so changeable after I see the GPs.

I would be interested in reading about others who do not have a favorite.

Lilbit

Rinkside
Who is your favorite USA lady and who do you think will come out on top this season?!

My favorite USA lady: Alissa, next Kimmie.

Who (USA lady) do I think will come out on top? Caroline, next Rachael.

LB :yes:

fairly4

Medalist
First of all, I want to thank you people for your input. It is refreshing to know you have feelings and not a robotic response or a correct political response.

Second of all, I noticed if the fans in generally don't like the response. The person wants to ignore the answer or state the person is very vocal (in other words a downcast on the person). The persons reponse or opinion doesn't matter and the other person who wrote vocally doesn't care or want to know maybe the other answer has a hint of truth.

Third of all, In response to Tara's underage bit. It was cheating. May I remind people that their was an age limit in effect. The ISU didn't know the "grandfather rule" was still in effect. The USFSA had to go digging through the rules to find something to get Tara in so she would qualify (otherwise she wouldn't make the worlds because Tara didn't finish in the Top 3 at Junior Worlds. At that time it was the only way , the underage skater could qualify). The USFSA found the rule buried and forgotten about. Unfortunately, the USFSA didn't tell Tara she didn't qualify outright. They helped her through. At that time , the media, USFSA, and others wanted another youngster and Sonya Henie.. Most of the public thought they had it with Michelle,but the USFSA and other skaters in the U.S. stated no, they wanted Tara. So political they USFSA sent a message to the other federations not to hold up Michelle but got toward Tara.
As far as racism, the only reason they held Michelle up is because of the outcry after 1998 Olympics. The judges know some of the people thought MIchelle got gyped and they thought artistry would win out, but no. Tara did with little jumps, underrotated jumps and awkard artistry and NO pressure on her (Tara).
Also racism played a part in Michelle not getting a medal at the 1995 worlds, they stated she was to young.( yet Tara who was white) won at a young age. also at the 2004 worlds when they stated Michelle went over time limit. However when Evgengy did it and Irina did it . Nothing was taken off. The judges stated IT WAS A Rule when in fact it was an optional rule. Granted the USFSA did protest, but did they protest to find out she didn't score correctly or change her medal. no--they let it go. The ISU did think the scores wasn't affected by it, but come to find out in June they was affected by the time limit =(in other words to much was taken off). Also in 2005 did they take off for Caroline Kostners bad jumps no- they let it go so she would get to bronze Medal. Also how come MIchelle in 2002 was considered a fall whereas Kristis in 1992 wasn't- Sashas wasn't. Racism nowadays isn't as out in the open-- it is more underneath.
I am afraid that they will continue doing it why. Because people are human and the sport is objective . Whether I like or not each federation judge will favor their federation skaters over the other.
Also it is know that while skating fast they overlook mistakes (which to my belief constitutes cheating.) Make no mistake the USFSA will cheat for Sasha if she comes back, their is no reason not to. Look at the guidlines for the envelopes -when Michelle was in the Top junior skaters got in the A envelop.
The reason the judges don't change the scores is so they won't have to admit they make a mistake. Why it takes guts and humility which most atheletes and people in sports don't have anymore. They want the money from winning-Sportmanship doesn't exist.
As I stated before , cheating will continue in figure skating and with the skater the USFSA wants up there. More likely, Kimmie (look how they favor with the guidelines, Sasha by bringing in the Olympic medal, yet in 2006 People was saying she had to go through qualifying even though she was the present olympic medalist. Now Sasha doesn't please favoritism. Rachel by not noticing all her flaws, Ashley, by overlooking hers, Mirai by giving her title and overlooking her flaws. Caroline Zhang by NOTICING everyone of her mistakes

goldenpleasures

On the Ice
entire post

Yawn, yawn, yawn. What have Tara, Michelle, Sasha and so-called cheating in the 1990s got to do with the battle between the ladies this year? Try reading the thread title - or start a new thread of your own if you really want to continue rehashing the same tired and erroneous old arguments.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Third of all, In response to Tara's underage bit. It was cheating. May I remind people that their was an age limit in effect. The ISU didn't know the "grandfather rule" was still in effect. The USFSA had to go digging through the rules to find something to get Tara in so she would qualify (otherwise she wouldn't make the worlds because Tara didn't finish in the Top 3 at Junior Worlds. At that time it was the only way , the underage skater could qualify). The USFSA found the rule buried and forgotten about.

What you write is completely nonsensical - how can it be cheating if there was a rule allowing the action? It doesn't matter whether it was "dead and buried" (and i disagree with you on that statement in any event). If there was a rule saying that the action can be carried out then it is not cheating. Perhaps that is you exhibiting racism towards Lipinski? :biggrin:

I really have no desire to look up what actually happened but what i remember was that the age limits came into effect after Tara had competed at the 1996 world championships. Having already competed once it seemed ridiculous that a skater should have to sit out a season just because of the new rule - hence the grandfathering in.

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
We can rehash all of the stupid fan wars all we want, but it's not going to change anything, nor should it. It's a skating competition, it happens every year and another champion is crowned.

it's funny that if Michelle loses, it's racism, and if she wins, it's racism... maybe Michelle didn't skate her best when she lost, and maybe she did when she won. there's only one person that is diminishing her career this way...