Who is your favorite USA lady and who do you think will come out on top this season?! | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Who is your favorite USA lady and who do you think will come out on top this season?!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Katy Taylor is not listed in the Southwestern Regional Senior Ladies SP starting order so she must have decided not to compete this season -- here's the link to the U.S. Regionals thread with the info: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?p=334712#post334712

Thanks for the info. I must say I'm very disappointed. But if Katy is not competing, I wonder what she IS doing. I mean, if she started college, we certainly would have read about it on one of these message boards.

iceminx

On the Ice
Mirai Nagasu, Caroline Zhang, and Alissa Czisny. I can't choose just one right now.:) All three of them have exquisite artistic ability and charisma that no other us skaters (with sasha gone) have right now. And all three are beautiful.

Some, but not all... Katrina Hacker is old enough (IIRC) and she should have been given the chance before Meissner based on placement

but the USFSA compromised. Katrina went to 4CC to get some international experience and Meissner went to worlds.

ITA. I'm not particularly a fan of Hacker, but there was no basis for being robbed out of a world trip. What happened to the best skaters qualifying??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I must say I'm very disappointed. But if Katy is not competing, I wonder what she IS doing. I mean, if she started college, we certainly would have read about it on one of these message boards.
My friend who did her fan site for her . Katy decided to stop competing for good she retired.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
ITA. I'm not particularly a fan of Hacker, but there was no basis for being robbed out of a world trip. What happened to the best skaters qualifying??

There has never been any rule about the world team being named based on nationals placements. IIRC only the winner was guaranteed a spot on the world team. As we all know, our top lady was too young. After that, USFS is free to pick whoever they like. I absolutely support their decision to send Meissner. With Liang and Wagner both going to worlds for the first time, the team needed someone with experience. And who is to say that Hacker would have scored any better than Meissner? I seriously doubt she could have skated well enough to get three spots for the US, anyway.

My all time Favorite skaters is Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes. Now I root for Kimmie Meissner , and girl whom comes from my old hometown of South Florida Marissa Secundy .

gkelly

Record Breaker
Why do the american skaters retire so soon?

Speaking in general . . .

It takes a lot of money to train to elite levels.

It takes a lot of time to train to elite levels.

Talented skaters (and their families) tend to be willing to invest that time and money while the skater is young and hopeful of achieving more success or at least maintaining the same level of success.

At some point, the skater's body gives out, the money runs out, and/or the field gets deeper and it becomes less and less likely to qualify for Nationals much less for international opportunities (both for skaters who have already achieved that level and for those who could only dream about it).

Adolescents become adults. Adults go to college, take full-time jobs, and/or become parents. All those occupations take a lot more time away from training than high school did; it's a lot harder for young (or not-so-young) adults to train to their peak potential than for teenagers to do so. Except for skaters at the very top who can earn more through prize money at international competitions, grants from sports governing bodies, and fees for appearing in shows, it's not prudent to be spending more than many people earn in a year on training for an expensive hobby, even one in which one has had a fairly high level of success, unless one is independently wealthy.

There are sooo many talented, well-trained female singles skaters in the US that there isn't room on the national or international stage for all who might have the skills to deserve opportunities at those levels. It's a lot easier to work through injuries or bad years due to other reasons for skaters competing in smaller fields, who can still take advantage of some of those opportunities even when skating well below their peak.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Actually I was okay with the compromise. I understood the basis for it. Hacker didn't have the international experience, and the other girls going to worlds didn't have much either. They were hoping that Kimmie could pull it off due to the fact that she wouldn't be a wide eyed newbie. It didn't go horribly, but it didn't go as well as the USFSA hoped either.

could've been worse.

Adolescents become adults.
What a fine and warm-hearted post, GKelly! :agree:

I hope Katy Taylor is tickled to pieces at her outstanding achievements as a figure skater. She won 2006 Four Continents! Finished as high as fourth at U.S. Nationals, won bronze at Junior Worlds, got to travel the world and perform before enthusiastic crowds -- I hope she loved every minute of it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will never forget Katy Taylor's touching performance of "Forrest Gump" at 2006 Four Continents and her happiness when told she had won.

lcd

Match Penalty
I remember seeing her for the first time during a warm up as an intermediate at a Junior Nationals practice.... just when the zamboni was about to head out, I swear she went and ripped off a triple flip... knew right away this springy kid was something special. Will always remember also how happy she was pulling off that short at Nationals in Spokane. All the best to her - she brought a lot of happiness with her skating and represented the USA with a lot of class.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Yes, that short was something special. Then in the long .......... :cry:

Well anyway, I wonder if there will be an official announcement.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I have been a big fan of Mirai since the first sight at her debut at Junior Nationals. She's got everything. Quality jumps, fast, beautiful skating, amazing spins, the presence, beautiful lines, the ability to interpret and express.

But I also appreciate other American ladies very much. There are simply so many now! Currently, Rachel looks very promising. Her jumps are so extremely solid; she's got beautiful positions and lines in everything and interprets and expresses the music so well.

I have no idea who's gonna go to the Worlds. I feel sorry for those who can't make it.