Why I wonder if Angela will get assignment #2 | Golden Skate

Why I wonder if Angela will get assignment #2

Landover

Spectator
From the ISU handbook
Additional skaters/couples will be selected for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating with priority being given to the top 36 skates/couples in each of the 4 categories (Men, Ladies, Pairs, Ice Dancing) on the ISU World Standings list.

Does this mean any female singles in the top 36 who doesn't already have two grand prix assignments will get the spot before Angela? If so it is bad news for her. Her Skate America win only moved her up to 42 in the standings. :cry:

I don't know the answer to your question, but maybe Angela will be able to pull a Michelle and qualify for the Grand Prix Final with only one event!

Mathman

bronxgirl

Medalist
It would seem that if she if available, and so many other skaters either can't or won't do a given Grand Prix Assignment, why not offer it to someone like Angela? She's just won SA - it's still not chopped liver :unsure:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
If Sasha withdraws from her 2nd (or 3rd, non-scoring?) assignment(s), I'd bet Angela would be a shoo-in to replace her. Also, was Michelle assigned a 2nd GP event? Has she been replaced already?

bronxgirl

Medalist
Michelle was assigned to Skate Canada, but I don't know who was named as her replacement (if any)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Landover said:
From the ISU handbook
Additional skaters/couples will be selected for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating with priority being given to the top 36 skates/couples in each of the 4 categories (Men, Ladies, Pairs, Ice Dancing) on the ISU World Standings list.

Does this mean any female singles in the top 36 who doesn't already have two grand prix assignments will get the spot before Angela? If so it is bad news for her. Her Skate America win only moved her up to 42 in the standings. :cry:

I believe how it works is that if a skater from a certain country is scheduled to be at a GP competition and withdraws, then that country can send in anyone they want to replace her. It's rather like, the country wins the slot as opposed to the actual skater. I know there are cases where a slot in a GP is filled by a skater from another country (for example, a skater from Uzbekistan replacing one from Sweden), but I don't know what the circumstances are for that to happen. I'm sure Angela will get another shot, given how many withdrawals we've seen this season already. And remember that Amber Corwin got to go to 2 GPs last year despite (a) never having been to Worlds, and (b) not even being originally scheduled to go to even one of them (if I remember correctly).

What I wonder is, does Alissa Czisny get any GP points for being at Skate America despite not being scheduled for any of them at all??
W

Landover

Spectator
JonnyCoop said:
I believe how it works is that if a skater from a certain country is scheduled to be at a GP competition and withdraws, then that country can send in anyone they want to replace her. It's rather like, the country wins the slot as opposed to the actual skater.

It doesn't work that way. Otherwise the USFSA would have already selected Angela (or another American woman) to replace Kwan at Skate Canada or Kirk at Cup of China. Instead the ISU assigned those empty slots to Nakano for Skate Canada and Pavuk for Cup of China. Both skaters are in the top 36 ISU rankings. Because Nikodinov is 42nd ranked she could be outta luck for a second assignment if the ISU wants to be sticklers about this rule. I was merely wondering if they'd be inclined to overlook this rule in lieu of her recent win?

mzheng

Record Breaker
I'm really happy she won SA.

As for 2nd assignment. I'm not sure if it's totally good for her or not. Since the GPF is so close to the National and is in china. I really want her do well in National and get that world team spot. But may be a GPF medal is more realistic than a world medal for her?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Landover said:
It doesn't work that way. Otherwise the USFSA would have already selected Angela (or another American woman) to replace Kwan at Skate Canada or Kirk at Cup of China. Instead the ISU assigned those empty slots to Nakano for Skate Canada and Pavuk for Cup of China. Both skaters are in the top 36 ISU rankings. Because Nikodinov is 42nd ranked she could be outta luck for a second assignment if the ISU wants to be sticklers about this rule. I was merely wondering if they'd be inclined to overlook this rule in lieu of her recent win?

Really? Interesting. I wonder if they may have changed this, or if it depends on certain factors. I remember a couple of seasons ago Ivan Dinev pulled out of both of his GP's and was replaced by Bulgaria's #2, Hristo Turlakov -- and Turlakov was MUCH further away from the top 36 than Angela is.

Landover

Spectator
JonnyCoop said:
Really? Interesting. I wonder if they may have changed this, or if it depends on certain factors. I remember a couple of seasons ago Ivan Dinev pulled out of both of his GP's and was replaced by Bulgaria's #2, Hristo Turlakov -- and Turlakov was MUCH further away from the top 36 than Angela is.
It's a relatively new ruling.

cheekers85

Rinkside
In light of that, how did Cziny get into Skate America then?

I hope Angela has enough points if she doesn't manage another assignment too. Another assignment would be really good for her though to go out there and get that mental thing out of the way another time before a really big competition.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Landover said:
Instead the ISU assigned those empty slots to Nakano for Skate Canada and Pavuk for Cup of China. Both skaters are in the top 36 ISU rankings. Because Nikodinov is 42nd ranked she could be outta luck for a second assignment if the ISU wants to be sticklers about this rule. I was merely wondering if they'd be inclined to overlook this rule in lieu of her recent win?
The ISU might be sticklers, but the rules for the initial assignments are that the host federations (USFS for Skate America, Russian Federation for Cup of Russia, etc.) choose the skaters based on the criteria set by the ISU.

Is the rule for replacement skaters different? If not, the host federations invite the replacements, again based on the criteria.

The other question is whether the top 36 skaters have all already been offered a spot and have either withdrawn from both assignments or have turned down an invite.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
!

Landover said:
Re: Nikodinov and Czisny. A host country may invite any of their own skaters.
Landover you seem very knowedgeble of ISU rules. Welcometo GS!

euterpe

Medalist
The Cup of China (11/11-14) roster still shows Viktoria Pavuk and Sasha Cohen. Pavuk has a pretty severe ankle injury, so she won't be there. Sasha has said she might make CoC, but considering that she withdrew from SA the week of 10/18 and said the doctors told her not to work on triple jumps for 4 weeks (which includes the CoC dates), that doesn't seem likely.

So it looks as though there may be 2 empty slots for that event.

The host country has the say as to replacements, with input from the ISU. There are other skaters besides Angela and Alissa who already have one assignment and might welcome another. These include Lina Johansson, Suszanna Babiakova, Yukari Nakano, Galina Maniachenko, Leslie Hawker, Mira Leung and Tatiana Basova. Of course, the skater's federation has to be willing to pay the costs of sending the skater to China.

mzheng

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
Of course, the skater's federation has to be willing to pay the costs of sending the skater to China.

I believe the cost to China is cheaper compare to sending skaters to Japan.

From what I saw in Pittsburgh, if anyone gets a second assignment it should be Alissa Czisny. I first saw her in Atlanta where she was skating rings around all the top ladies skaters in the practice session but then she faltered badly in the competition. She's got all the tricks: I spin; Bielman spin; change edge spirals; and 3x2 combos.

Ignore the falts in the LP and you will see a first rate skater. If they show the SP, you will see the beginning of a great skater.

Joe

Landover

Spectator
Joesitz said:
From what I saw in Pittsburgh, if anyone gets a second assignment it should be Alissa Czisny.
Joe
It would be outrageous to pass over Nikodinov a second assignment for a skater she finished ahead of at Nationals, Skate America and in the ISU rankings. What I hope is both young women are chosen for a second assignment. :agree:

Everyone loves Angela including me but if you saw the LP (which she skated the best in years) right after that triple toe became a triple single, her program went downhill. Not as much as it used to but still, when she makes an error, she loses confidence. I have not strong feelings about her going to another GP but I would like to see Alissa, too.

Joe

Landover

Spectator
Joesitz said:
Everyone loves Angela including me but if you saw the LP (which she skated the best in years) right after that triple toe became a triple single, her program went downhill. Not as much as it used to but still, when she makes an error, she loses confidence. I have not strong feelings about her going to another GP but I would like to see Alissa, too.

Joe

I saw the long program and I disagree it went downhill. It lost momentum but no more so then the other girls programs. I also disagree that Czisny should be considered for a grand prix before Nikodinov for all the compelling reasons I listed already. I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. :)

Last edited: