Why I wonder if Angela will get assignment #2 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why I wonder if Angela will get assignment #2

S

SkateFan4Life

Landover said:
From the ISU handbook
Additional skaters/couples will be selected for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating with priority being given to the top 36 skates/couples in each of the 4 categories (Men, Ladies, Pairs, Ice Dancing) on the ISU World Standings list.

Does this mean any female singles in the top 36 who doesn't already have two grand prix assignments will get the spot before Angela? If so it is bad news for her. Her Skate America win only moved her up to 42 in the standings. :cry:

I would think that the USFSA will give Angela at least one more scoring Grand Prix assignment, if not two (the other a non-scoring event, of course). With Michelle Kwan sitting out the Grand Prix series this year, and with Sasha Cohen nursing her recurring back injury, Angela may well be called into the mix. I, for one, hope she takes advantage of this situation and wins herself a spot on the Grand Prix final.

Toller Cranston once said, "Skating well is the best revenge". Frankly, IMHO, the USFSA has never given Angela the support she deserves. It's always been Michelle, Tara, Sasha, etc. Angela has been a forgotten face in the crowd. How I would love to see her medal at the Grand Prix finals, US Nationals, and Worlds. Admittedly, it's a longshot, but upsets do happen, and Angela has the talent to make the podium.

Go for it, Angela! :biggrin:

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Angela assigned to Cup of China!

SkateFan4Life said:
I would think that the USFSA will give Angela at least one more scoring Grand Prix assignment, if not two (the other a non-scoring event, of course). With Michelle Kwan sitting out the Grand Prix series this year, and with Sasha Cohen nursing her recurring back injury, Angela may well be called into the mix. I, for one, hope she takes advantage of this situation and wins herself a spot on the Grand Prix final.
Go for it, Angela! :biggrin:
Angela has gotten a second GP assignment -- to Cup of China in two weeks! Congrats! :rock: BTW, there is no way that she could have gotten 3 GP events -- only the seeded skaters (top 6 from last year's Worlds) can have 3.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
skatingfan5 said:
Angela has gotten a second GP assignment -- to Cup of China in two weeks! Congrats! :rock: BTW, there is no way that she could have gotten 3 GP events -- only the seeded skaters (top 6 from last year's Worlds) can have 3.
Here are the links: http://www.nikodinov.com
http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216 (scroll down to GP China)
It hasn't been updated yet on the ISU website.

Go Angela!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Eeyora

Final Flight
That is great that Angela got a second Grand Prix assignment. Who else besides Sasha is competing at COC. I hope Angela does well.

jesslily

Final Flight
How could be cheaper if USFSA sends skater to Cup of China? The hotel rate and property value are not any lower than US? Unless you let the skaters sleep in a motel where only local farmers stay.

Nice for Angela. I believe she replaces Cohen in that GP. But there was a vacancy also in Skate Canada. No replacement, and it has to be too late now.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
jesslily said:
How could be cheaper if USFSA sends skater to Cup of China? The hotel rate and property value are not any lower than US? Unless you let the skaters sleep in a motel where only local farmers stay.

My impression living cost in china is much lower than US. 1 US $ exchange 8.25 Yuan. While average salary of local worker (goverment, school staffs, etc.), in big city like Shanghai (and Peijing), is a little over 1,000 Yuan a month.

You are right about the property value, it skyrocketed in recent years. But if you compare the similar area, like Shanghai vs Manhaton, Tokyo, HongKong, Sydny, etc. Still cheaper in ShangHai.

Back to the topic.

I read in MKF yesterday. Angela now is listed to compete at CoC. I still reserve my judgement if it's good to her or not. It's too close to National, with all the travles and hassels, she might not get enough time to prepare for National. I really want her get to the world team this year. But may be a medal in GPF is a good enough achievement for her? Only she can decide.

Last edited by a moderator:

jesslily

Final Flight
I have about the same wish for Angela posted in another thread, medal at nationals, and make the world team.
The professionals in the large cities of China make at least 3 times of one thousand yuan a month plus endless bonus. Since food and clothes are a lot cheaper there, many of them live a better quality life than we do.
The westerners travel and live at high end, and the price for a 4 star hotel and the food provided in the hotel isn't much cheaper than US.

euterpe

Medalist
While it was true that Angela tired noticeably towards the end of her SA program, so did many of the other ladies. Ando fell on the attempted 3Z in the second half of her program, and Phaneuf slowed too.

It was the first competition of the season for the majority of these ladies, and they haven't got the conditioning now that they will have later in the season.

It was good enough for me that Angela said she wasn't pleased with her performance. She knows what she has to do and it appears she is determined to do it.

mzheng

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
While it was true that Angela tired noticeably towards the end of her SA program, so did many of the other ladies. Ando fell on the attempted 3Z in the second half of her program, and Phaneuf slowed too.

It was the first competition of the season for the majority of these ladies, and they haven't got the conditioning now that they will have later in the season.

It was good enough for me that Angela said she wasn't pleased with her performance. She knows what she has to do and it appears she is determined to do it.

While I expected others have stamania problem during LP, I diddn't exactly expect Agela had that problem. Since Agela trained at Lake Arrowhead up the mountain the same rink as Michelle. While Michelle can skate non stop LP without out of breath by the end.

I love Angela's skating in US ladies next to Michelle. Hope the winning SA will inspire her trainning more hard. She got a coach even more strict than Michelle's, but she dose not have Michelle's decipline.

soogar

Record Breaker
Discipline

I don't know Angela so I can't comment on her discipline, however there is something severely lacking in that girl for her to be a top competitor. She just doesn't have the fire that MK has. She seems very disciplined in terms of keeping a fit physique and the folks always say how Angela can do all of her elements in practice, yet she doesn't really have the competitive oomph. I don't really see her doing anything on a World or Olympic level. But then again, I never thought much of Sarah either (always thought she was boring) but boy did Sarah have competitive fire (after reading how she changed her programs and everything for the Olympics).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Angela has it in her... she just hasn't unlocked it yet... I think this season may be what she needs...

I think with the COP she realizes that while she pops a jump it doesn't mean they can drop her down to last place with a measly little number... and so it's not a hopeless cause...

Angela for Olympic Gold in 2006!!! WOOT WOOT!!!

jesslily

Final Flight
Angela does have the drive and discipline otherwise she wouldn't keep skating and training for so many years. Many younger skaters took the opportunity, won the major titles, and left the elegible arena. It's Angela without any major titles still competing. Besides the drive and discipline, Michelle also has very good health. Strong body helps her confidence significantly. Her healthy body enable her to train hard for so many years and never had major injuries.

Linny

Final Flight
Angela

I'll agree that Angela has drive. Still, methinks that Angela still needs work with a sport psychologist. It seems like she defeats herself.

In the interview with Peter after her SA win, she was really focussed on the fact that this was not her best performance. I understand humility, and I understand good sportsmanship in not jumping around patting herself on the back, and I understand that she knows that her SA performance might not stand up to the most elite of the skaters... but, still, could she at least celebrate just a tiny bit? Could she be happy for a moment? She was the best of that day. Giving herself a little credit would be nice.

In my own sport, I often compete in a class of one. I, too, suffer a bit from lack of confidence (and lack of money - it's an expensive sport) so I choose smaller venues where I can enjoy what I'm doing.

Obviously, when I compete in a class of one, I get to win... and I don't run around pounding my chest telling everyone who will listen that I'm the best of the best. Plus, like Angela, I know that my performance may not stand up to the elite in my sport and that I still have a lot of work to do.

But I still give myself a little credit (and my horse). I still enjoy having done just a bit better this time than last time. And I know that I did better than all those out there who for a myriad of reasons, decided not to go to the trouble of competing. I put what I have out there in front of the judges.

Don't you think that is healthier than to have this "oh, I'm not very good" attitude that Angela seems to display?

Linny

gkelly

Record Breaker
Linny said:
Could she be happy for a moment? She was the best of that day. Giving herself a little credit would be nice.

Actually, Nikodinov was the best over two days, which is why she won the event, but Susanna Poykio deservedly won the free skate.

Not that you would know she even existed if your only source of information was ABC.

skatingfan5

On the Ice
My Poykio lament

gkelly said:
Actually, Nikodinov was the best over two days, which is why she won the event, but Susanna Poykio deservedly won the free skate.

Not that you would know she even existed if your only source of information was ABC.
Or the USFS's web pages, which managed to not even mention Susanna's winning free skate in any of their write ups -- or even post a picture of her. So I'm forced to try and glean a little from reading reports on the web from those who were there in Pittsburgh, who have said her "Romeo and Juliet" was "a lovely, lyrical program, seamlessly integrating choreography and music" and that Susanna had "a fabulous elegance and flow" coming from "fluid and controlled" gestures and "pure and simple, classic skating" that caused one international dance judge to mouth 'that was beautiful'. A pox on ABC!

Oh yeah, I might as well post this picture of Susanna from her SA free skate here because it the most that anyone in North America is likely to see.
http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/images/sk8usa 2004 poykio_fs.jpg

BTW, I think Angela may well have "what it takes" -- but she doesn't know it. She has self-doubt about her ability to "come out fighting" in competition, not about her ability as a skater.

As much as I like Angela and how pleased I was to see her skate so well, the evening really went to Susanna Poykio. She won the LP and deserved to. As to her SP, it was better than the grades she got. I was there and I approve this message :)

Joe

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
As much as I like Angela and how pleased I was to see her skate so well, the evening really went to Susanna Poykio. She won the LP and deserved to. As to her SP, it was better than the grades she got. I was there and I approve this message :) Joe
If it's true that she got lower marks for her SP than deserved while skating last at SA, I certainly hope she skates clean at Skate Canada, because she drew 1st in the SP (as did Ryan Jahnke).

icer

Rinkside
I just read on another board that Angela has been invited to Cup of China and has accepted.