Why so many headcases in Figure Skating today? | Golden Skate

Why so many headcases in Figure Skating today?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
This season has been full of disappointments for many skaters, but I'm seeing a growing trend in skater's who struggle with consistency.

Alissa Czisny has always been shaky under pressure, but I thought after what she had gone through four years ago, she would keep it together at nationals and either make or narrowly miss the Olympic team; instead she bombed, and her usually dazzling presence disappeared with the jumps at nationals.

Tomas Verner like Alissa has been known for his inconsistency, but after his 4th place finish at Worlds last year and 2nd place finish at TEB in the fall, I thought he had turned over a new leaf. Since TEB, he's been underwhelming to put it lightly, and at the Olympics he seemed to have lost his spark and charm.

Brian Joubert, with so many Grand Prix, European, and World medals under his belt has never struck me as shaky before, but this season he's been a disappointment. At TEB he was off his mark, withdrew from the GPF, was better but not his best at Europeans, and was heartbreaking to watch at the Olympics. In the SP he looked uncomfortable, and in the LP he looked slow and uninspired, as if he had given up and no longer enjoys skating.

Carolina Kostner redeemed herself at Europeans after the worst bomb I think I've ever witnessed in skating at Worlds last year and then struggling at both her Grand Prix events this season. She's been hot and cold in the past, and no one knows how she will do at the Olympics this year. Can she redeem herself or will she revert back to her old ways?

Jeremy Abbott, another skater known for being hot and cold, but I really thought he had the nerves beat after winning back to back national titles. He pulled into the top 10 at this Olympics, but not convincingly - his SP was a disaster, and his FS was a few mistakes shy of a meltdown. He would have been joining Joubert and Verner in the doghouse were it not for his great overall skating, spins, and artistry.

Caroline Zhang is another lady who has struggled this season. After melting down in the LP at SC, she wasn't able to regain her energy and strength and did poorly again at nationals, where she was in the running to make the Olympic team. Furthermore, she no longer seems to enjoy skating, expressing hardly any emotion on the ice and always looking sad and frustrated in the Kiss and Cry. She just won the bronze at 4CC (in a pretty weak field), which is encouraging, but may mean she's just turning into another inconsistent skater who will dazzle us at some competitions and round out the bottom at others.

Laura Lepisto. She's been doing well all season, but not convincingly. She always seems to have major issues in the LP, oftentimes only landing 1 to 3 triples. I don't know if her tendency to double all her jumps is strength, stamina, or nerves related but it is concerning. Her jumps are nice when she lands them, so why can't she land them more often?

Mao Asada What happened to mighty Mao, the best 14 year old skater ever? Mao never used to get nervous and now it seems like more often than not she makes big mistakes in the SP, and sometimes in the LP too. Both GP events this season were rough for her, and even at Worlds last year where she did well, she failed to medal. I feel as if she has truly lost something from her skating, and it's apparent in her attitude - she always seems upset now, not like the cute, bubbly Mao we all came to know and love. Like Carolina, her performances here in Vancouver are hard to predict.

The Bottom Line Figure skating is a nerve wracking sport, without a doubt. It's just hard to understand why some skaters such as Rachael Flatt, Evan Lysacek, Mirai Nagasu, Nobunai Oda, Miki Ando (after 2006) are capable of never having meltdowns at a competition while for other skaters big meltdowns are a chronic problem. I'm not saying that Rachael, Evan, Mirai, etc never have had shaky performances at competitions before - they have - just not to the point where they fall on/pop three or more jumps and forget that they are performing in front of an audience.

So what's the matter with these skaters we call "headcases"? Are they really just very nervous people, might they suffer from Generalized Anxiety or Panic Disorder, or maybe ADD and have trouble concentrating? Maybe do they just not like skating very much so let programs get away from them? Is it a strength/stamina issue, do they not train hard enough? Is it something about their coaches and they way they train? Can a slight injury like those suffered by Joubert and Caroline be enough to completely mess up a skater's game? Can getting the flu like Verner did this fall really be enough to knock out a skater's entire season? I'd like to hear what people think are the reasons for the faltering of some of the most talented skaters out there right now, and why inconsistency seems to be running rampant recently.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Figure skating is 90% mental. Evan is the best at mental preparation I have ever seen. Flatt is another one that is AWESOME at mental preparation. Nagasu is improving this aspect of her "game"

miki88

Medalist
" It's just hard to understand why some skaters such as Rachael Flatt, Evan Lysacek, Mirai Nagasu, Nobunai Oda, Miki Ando (after 2006) are capable of never having meltdowns at a competition while for other skaters big meltdowns are a chronic problem" I think there are a lot of reasons why. With the exception of Evan, the skaters you have mentioned don't have that as much pressure to carry on their shoulders as some others do. It really has to do with mental strength. Miki already has her share of meltdowns before, so she is stronger because of them. Oda has his share of disappointments too so has Mirai. About Mao, she has a lot of things bothering her this season. The olympics are coming up, so the Japanese media is always in her face and TAT is seldom even there. Besides that, I think she's just going through a period of change. She can't stay cute forever and she's trying to find a more mature style of skating for herself. I think she's in an experimental stage. She looks pretty calm to me. Disappointed but calm, considering the criticisms lashed at her all season long.
On a side note, I used to think Rafael was the best coach for her, but not after what I read what really happened between them to cause the break. :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think there are a lot of reasons why. With the exception of Evan, the skaters you have mentioned don't have that as much pressure to carry on their shoulders as some others do. It really has to do with mental strength. Miki already has her share of meltdowns before, so she is stronger because of them. Oda has his share of disappointments too so has Mirai. About Mao, she has a lot of things bothering her this season. The olympics are coming up, so the Japanese media is always in her face and TAT is seldom even there. Besides that, I think she's just going through a period of change. She can't stay cute forever and she's trying to find a more mature style of skating for herself. I think she's in an experimental stage. She looks pretty calm to me. Disappointed but calm, considering the criticisms lashed at her all season long.
On a side note, I used to think Rafael was the best coach for her, but not after what I read what really happened between them to cause the break. :eek:hwell:

Thanks for the insight, you probably are right. It's so sad to see though. What happened between Mao and Rafael? I heard she (or her mom) was just homesick and wanted to go back to Japan.

miki88

Medalist
Someone I know who lives in Japan bought all of Mao's yearly fanbook that contains pictures and interviews she did for each season. In the 2007-2008 edition, Mao's mother explained their side of the situation with Rafael. Apparently, Rafael and Mao made a promise to meet up in Japan to train together before 2008 4CC, but he never showed up. Mao and her family didn't understand why Rafael broke his promise and they lost their trust in him so the relationship was broken and thus we had that strange situation where Mao went coachless at 4CC and Worlds. I was really surprised to read this because I always thought Rafael was so supportive of Mao but it seems like their relationship wasn't as good as it seemed in public. Sigh. :disapp:

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Found this video of Tomas Verner from last year's GP : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_oVpr1jfzU
Same issues that he's been having all season (I thought his inconsistency was a recent development but guess not), nice quad then lots of pops, particularly on the 3a, which he goes into with no speed. The commentators offer their outlook on what his issue is: lack of training, loss of focus. They said at 2008 worlds when he was 4th after the SP then bombed the FS it really scarred him....wonder if it still does now and that's why he can't seem to do a good LP despite all his talent. Really hope he regroups and comes back strong next season, he's not planning on retiring is he? I feel like he should keep going considering that the Czech Republic doesn't have a lot of other great skaters besides Brezina right now (who is awesome btw :agree:). I see how this sport can be really mental...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't think Caroline is a headcase, her problems stem from her terrible technique, not nerves.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think Caroline is a headcase, her problems stem from her terrible technique, not nerves.

Maybe. How do you explain her lack of expression on the ice though? Her LP has been really flat every time I've seen it this season, even when she lands the jumps.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I feel that stricter edge calls and UR calls make skaters more nervous. You also have to be constantly counting in spins and spirals. Not knowing how well you did until scores come up is very difficult to deal with.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Someone I know who lives in Japan bought all of Mao's yearly fanbook that contains pictures and interviews she did for each season. In the 2007-2008 edition, Mao's mother explained their side of the situation with Rafael. Apparently, Rafael and Mao made a promise to meet up in Japan to train together before 2008 4CC, but he never showed up. Mao and her family didn't understand why Rafael broke his promise and they lost their trust in him so the relationship was broken and thus we had that strange situation where Mao went coachless at 4CC and Worlds. I was really surprised to read this because I always thought Rafael was so supportive of Mao but it seems like their relationship wasn't as good as it seemed in public. Sigh. :disapp:

I have heard so many diffrent versions of what happened between them, I really don't think we will ever know the truth. I suspect that it had something to do with Mao's mom.

heyang

Record Breaker
Maybe. How do you explain her lack of expression on the ice though? Her LP has been really flat every time I've seen it this season, even when she lands the jumps.

I think Caroline has had a tough season. She had a growth spurt and injuries. I think she change coaches and then went back to her former coach. Then, there was the pressure of going for 1 of 2 spots, especially since she came in 3rd the previous year. She's also been trying to fix her technique, which is good for the longer term, but not exactly the ideal timing. Part of Caroline's results this year are just bad timing. After this difficult year, it's not surprising that she would be somewhat glum. She's not the 1st skater who will have had bad timing or will have to overcome 'changes'. It's just a matter of how she bounces back. heck - she's only 16; she has a shot at an another Olympics assuming she decides to stick with it.

Now, compare to Mirai who won the National title 2 years ago. Last year, she had her growth spurt and the pressure of defending her title. It was obviously a very emotional struggle for her last year. This year, she had adjusted to her growth and didn't have a National title to defend; also, changing coaches to Frank has been good for her, too.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Caroline has had a tough season. She had a growth spurt and injuries. I think she change coaches and then went back to her former coach. Then, there was the pressure of going for 1 of 2 spots, especially since she came in 3rd the previous year. She's also been trying to fix her technique, which is good for the longer term, but not exactly the ideal timing. Part of Caroline's results this year are just bad timing. After this difficult year, it's not surprising that she would be somewhat glum. She's not the 1st skater who will have had bad timing or will have to overcome 'changes'. It's just a matter of how she bounces back. heck - she's only 16; she has a shot at an another Olympics assuming she decides to stick with it.

Now, compare to Mirai who won the National title 2 years ago. Last year, she had her growth spurt and the pressure of defending her title. It was obviously a very emotional struggle for her last year. This year, she had adjusted to her growth and didn't have a National title to defend; also, changing coaches to Frank has been good for her, too.

You make a good point, Caroline might be having the same struggles that Mirai went through, just a year later. We've seen in Mirai what a big difference a year makes, so maybe for Caroline it will be the same. Mirai does not have severe technique or speed issues like Caroline though so Caroline might have a harder battle to fight.

heyang

Record Breaker
Just want to note that some people are just more naturally competitive than others. For some, it hinders their performance since it becomes the overwhelming reason for winning. For others, it's just the right level to put them 'in the zone'. Then, there are a lot of people with great skating skills who don't have the competitive drive to win and don't care.

Kristi Yamaguchi had the drive to get results. Her coach Christy Ness has said that Kristi was not a natural jumper. It took her a lot of effort to learn her jumps. However, Kristi's drive helped her overcome this lack of ease and her inate shyness to allow her to become an Olympic gold medalist and national spokesperson. Then, you have skaters like Chris Bowman and Nicole Bobek who are natural athletes and are natural performers; yet, they 'blow' their talents with lack of self-discipline.

sidwich

Rinkside
I think there have always been "headcases," but at least one factor that's changed is the elimination of figures. In the old days, figures went a long way towards determining a skater's placement, and smoothed away a lot of the ups and downs of the short and free skate. It also removed quite a bit of stress for people who were good at them because some skaters who would have been heavy threats like Janet Lynn and Denise Biellman were usually buried way down in the standings before the free skating part of the competition even started. If you remember Scott Hamilton's free skate from 1984, it's actually not very good at all but he was so far ahead that there was no way that Brian Orser could catch him even with a brilliant free skate (which he had).

With women, the elimination of figures has also unleashed a bunch of brilliant pre-pubescents who then unfortunately get to experience puberty in the middle of high-profile competition instead of in the privacy of early morning patch sessions. I think the growth spurts these girls go through while competing on the international stage really scar some of them, and it's really unfortunate because I don't think that many of them are ready for the scrutiny. I think Mao is experiencing some of this as well as a rather hardcore skating mom who makes me wonder if she could go toe-to-toe with such classic skating moms like Mrs. Fleming and Mrs. Chin.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
To answer your rather long post with a short answer - Liz Manley said during her commentation on the men's program that "Evan does complete run throughs of his program at every practice session." She says "he comes prepared and lays down his program." I guess the other guys must be resting on their laurels....

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
It's not about headcase, it's about ability. How on earth do you expect a skater to do a clean program if she or he barely does one in practice run-through?

Most, if not many skaters splat and pop jump after jump in a warm-up or pre-competiton practice, there is absolutely no way they can do a clean 7-8 triples program.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I think the problem is the system. a) Skaters can't let themselves loose on the ice, all they can do is calculate. b) They are so terrified of making a tiny mistake that can cost them loads of points that they're even more stressed then they would have been under the old system.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It's not about headcase, it's about ability. How on earth do you expect a skater to do a clean program if she or he barely does one in practice run-through?

Most, if not many skaters splat and pop jump after jump in a warm-up or pre-competiton practice, there is absolutely no way they can do a clean 7-8 triples program.

Ability? If it was about ability I think Tomas Verner, Jeremy Abbott, and Carolina Kostner would all be world champions by now instead of being plauged by inconsistency. It's just so frustrating: like Jeremy has an amazing 3lz-3t-2lo and Carolina a great 3f-3t and Tomas a 4t-3t that got the highest amount of points for a 2 jump combination ever when he got 15.80 points for it at the GPF. All this talent and ability so what's the deal?

For some skaters, they always mess up the same things so you know it must be a training or technique issue, like how Alissa always struggles with flip, loop, and her second lutz and Caroline has issues with her flip. But Tomas this season has not done well, but the things he messes up on are always different. So he was good in the SP and LP at TEB, then did a bad SP and good LP at SA and Czech Nationals, popped his triples at the GPF where his quad and 3a were great, had quad trouble at Euros but did great 3a s, and then had 3a trouble (and footwork issues) at the Olympics but landed the quad. At any given competition he messes up different jumps, and I feel the same is true of Jeremy and Carolina. So frustrating to see these great talents struggle.