Will Mao make the Oly team? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Will Mao make the Oly team?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It would be nice if Mao can do lutz in competition.
But even without lutz, Mao's LP base value is the highest among ladies because of 3As.

Very true. It's also cool to see Mao do the 3a. She looks so delicate and then she does these powerful jumps.

mskater93

Record Breaker
You are assuming she actually lands everything (two 3A) in asserting she has the highest BV for her FS. The chances of her getting through a FS without a "<" are very small unless she skates out of her mind. I don't think she's gotten credit for both 3A in a long program outside of Japan.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You are assuming she actually lands everything (two 3A) in asserting she has the highest BV for her FS. The chances of her getting through a FS without a "<" are very small unless she skates out of her mind. I don't think she's gotten credit for both 3A in a long program outside of Japan.

Even in Japan they DGed it in the short, and that was a pretty good 3a attempt too!

mskater93

Record Breaker
I believe she's gotten credit for 2 3A's in the LP once or twice, both times in Japan (this is what I was referencing, not her Nationals skate).

miki88

Medalist
She got credit for 2 3as in the LP at the 2008 Grand Prix Final where she won the gold. I think her victory led her to become so fixated on her 3As.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Even in Japan they DGed it in the short, and that was a pretty good 3a attempt too!

IMHO if she didn't get credit for that attempt in Japan she is doomed. She had everything going for her there (a generous tech caller, a home crowd, a ferderation who really wanted her to skate well and be on the team), and the jump looked pretty darn good to me.

miki88

Medalist
IMHO if she didn't get credit for that attempt in Japan she is doomed. She had everything going for her there (a generous tech caller, a home crowd, a ferderation who really wanted her to skate well and be on the team), and the jump looked pretty darn good to me.

I didn't think that specific tech caller was so generous, because a lot of skaters were getting downgrades that night. Yea, a lot of people were saying that jump looked fine, so I don't know.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
She got credit for 2 3as in the LP at the 2008 Grand Prix Final where she won the gold. I think her victory led her to become so fixated on her 3As.

Yeah, but even there she only beat a Yuna with a number of mistakes by 2 points. If it had been anywhere else except Korea, I'm fairly certain Yuna would have won.

Yuna and Mao both had one triple DGed in the LP but Yuna popped her lutz in the short and long which cost her about 15 points, and Mao with the two 3a still only won by 2 points.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Japan seems to DG more frequently compare to other places. Her 2 3As at last year nationals were both DGed. In the GPF in Korea, no less, both were ratified. I highly doubt a generous tech caller would DG both attempts that otherwise looked clean.

In the 2008 NHK, even the British commentators said her 2nd 3A were just about round upon slow-mo replay and they would give her the 2nd 3A, but it was DGed.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Yeah, but even there she only beat a Yuna with a number of mistakes by 2 points. If it had been anywhere else except Korea, I'm fairly certain Yuna would have won.

Yuna and Mao both had one triple DGed in the LP but Yuna popped her lutz in the short and long which cost her about 15 points, and Mao with the two 3a still only won by 2 points.

If it had been anywhere else, Yuna would be 2nd after the SP.
Mao with the two 3a, but fell on the flip, and the 3loop in the SP wasn't ratified.

You said as if she was clean with 2 3As and only beat YN with all kind of mistakes by 2 points. If Mao was clean, she would have beat her by 20 points.

miki88

Medalist
But it doesn't matter what could have happened if it were not in Korea. Being too pressured in your home country is considered a weakness too; not saying other skaters don't have it either. Anyways, I am just noting when Mao last had both of her 3As ratified. I am not saying it's a smart strategy, but I think Mao believes she has a good chance of winning if she does two 3As like last time. In my opinion, I think Mao believes completing two 3As is more important than winning the gold.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
But it doesn't matter what could have happened if it were not in Korea. Being too pressured in your home country is considered a weakness too; not saying other skaters don't have it either. Anyways, I am just noting when Mao last had both of her 3As ratified. I am not saying it's a smart strategy, but I think Mao believes she has a good chance of winning if she does two 3As like last time. In my opinion, I think Mao believes completing two 3As is more important than winning the gold.

It is kinda cool that she can do them, even if they aren't perfect most of the time.

But just LOOK at this 3lutz! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm33jbjUWRw . Where did it go? I know she's only 15 there but she looks about the same size she is now.

miki88

Medalist
That SP is really great. I think she did grow some inches since 15. But another big difference I see is the amount of energy and confidence she had back then. Now, I feel she is concentrating too much on landing her jumps when she skates.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
That SP is really great. I think she did grow some inches since 15. But another big difference I see is the amount of energy and confidence she had back then. Now, I feel she is concentrating too much on landing her jumps when she skates.

You're probably right. It's hard not to focus on the jumps though, especially since Yuna came out of nowhere. http://www.mkforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9991 apparently at 15 she was 5'2" and 81 pounds, so she's probably grown 2 inches and 15 pounds since, which isn't a lot, but in skating is probably enough to change the way you jump.

miki88

Medalist
You're probably right. It's hard not to focus on the jumps though, especially since Yuna came out of nowhere. http://www.mkforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9991 apparently at 15 she was 5'2" and 81 pounds, so she's probably grown 2 inches and 15 pounds since, which isn't a lot, but in skating is probably enough to change the way you jump.

I guess so. It's just when she is too focused on her jumps, it takes away from her presentation. The gloomy music doesn't help either IMAO. Yuna didn't come out of nowhere; they were rivals since juniors.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I guess so. It's just when she is too focused on her jumps, it takes away from her presentation. The gloomy music doesn't help either IMAO. Yuna didn't come out of nowhere; they were rivals since juniors.

I know but Mao was the one that was better and more talked about in the media and then they switched places.

heyang

Record Breaker
As for Mao, I don't think Japan would begrudge her a spot on the team, it they did, she could probably get a lawsuit and win. Just think, if she were allowed to have gone in 2006 she probably would have won the OGM.

I'm not sure I understand ....what would be the basis of her lawsuit? She did not meet the IOC's age requirements to qualify for 2006 Olympics. It's not Japan's fault. Besides, Japan's ended up with the gold by Shizuka.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm not sure I understand ....what would be the basis of her lawsuit? She did not meet the IOC's age requirements to qualify for 2006 Olympics. It's not Japan's fault. Besides, Japan's ended up with the gold by Shizuka.

I wasn't talking about the 2006 Olympics. I was saying that if she didn't go to the Olympics she could probably get a lawsuit and win because she won Japanese nationals last year (and the 3 years before it) and did better in her GP events than Fumie and Yukari this year, and did better than Fumie at worlds, so if they kept her off the team were she to do poorly at nationals and send Fumie or Yukari instead I think Mao could take the case to court and win because of her superior international performances. But she won nationals anyways so it doesn't matter.

miki88

Medalist
Does anyone think Mao performs better when she competes in Japan than abroad? I am not talking about nationals but even the ISU events held in Japan, she does better. I think she got her highest score at NHK event. Maybe it's just coincidence but it's interesting. In contrary to Yuna, Mao seems to thrive under hometown pressure.