Will Sarah be at Nationals? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Sarah be at Nationals?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Maybe she looked at Tara and Michelle and said "I don't want to be doing this in 10 years. There's got to be more to life than another medal, another title." Regardless, the choice is hers to make. She already got the big brass ring. The other titles probably don't have the same cache in her book.

She devoted her childhood and teen years to chasing a dream. Well, it came true. Now she's an adult, and she's decided to chase other dreams. What's so wrong with that? Yes, it would have been wonderful to see her develop her artistry beyond what it was, but, again, that is HER choice, not anyone else's.

I spent 6 years in music school (and that was in addition to my first degree), and now I sell real estate. Does that mean I wasted my time in school? No, I just had different goals once my daughter started school. I bring this up to illustrate that people's goals shift in life--that's just, well, LIFE!
:)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Medical career is far more stable than a FS one. As a skater, one is always susceptible to injuries, the public whimsy, etc. Then, eventually, there comes a point when one can no longer skate -- they have to become coaches, or commentators, or whatever. As a doctor, one is pretty much assured a career, regardless of the economy. I'd say she made a very wise choice.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Getting back to the original question of this thread... ;)

I say "No Way" - have actually read a post somewhere on the net where it was stated from a friend of Sarah's that she will not skate at Nationals, did not bring her skates to Yale, and that the only skating she will be doing is a benefit one at Yale during the month of December. Also, heard from someone that attends Yale that Sarah occasionally uses the rink there and then only recreationally. Makes sense. JMHO of course. :)^)

As regards Sarah & her choice of medicine, I recall reading that when her mother was ill with cancer it affected her so much that she felt compelled toward this field, especially after seeing how great the doctors were with her mother. Who knows, she might even be the ONE to find a cure for cancer ~ wouldn't put it past her.

Peace & Love, Nadine

"He told me that whatever you have or whatever you acquire is worthless, unless you have people to share it with." - Sarah Hughes commenting on her father

:love:GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR STUDIES AT YALE, LITTLE ONE!:love:

heyang

Record Breaker
Personally, I admire Sarah's decision to go to school. She attained one of her skating goals -can't say that she achieved all of them. Now, she's reaching for her 2nd dream and at a time when she will be with others her own age. The college experience is great, but at it's best when living on campus and being able to enjoy all facets of the lifestyle.

Skating and other sports careers are relatively short. If you're single ladies competitor, you're over the hill in your early 20's (based upon discussions for MK, IS and MB). How old was Rudy Galindo when he won Men's Nationals? I know he was the oldest winner of that particular title.....it doesn't seem as though many men skate singles past the age of 30. The body will wear with all the pounding it takes.

Considering all the skaters who stay on the ice in some capacity (coach, choreographer, manager, commentator, ice shows, producing), there aren't that many well paying positions. Maybe Sarah will specialize in sports medicine and become a strong advocate of the hinged boot.

guinevere

Final Flight
heyang said:
How old was Rudy Galindo when he won Men's Nationals? I know he was the oldest winner of that particular title.....it doesn't seem as though many men skate singles past the age of 30.
Rudy was 26 when he won the title. Todd Eldredge was either 29 or 30 when he won the National title in 2002.

guinevere

berthes ghost

Final Flight
How old was Rudy Galindo when he won Men's Nationals? I know he was the oldest winner of that particular title.....

Chris Chiristenson is the oldest US mens champ at 51. I doubt that that record will be broken anytime soon!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Well, speaking as one of those "mere functionaries," I've certainly found this thread interesting. Gee, I wonder how my patients would feel if I just didn't show up one morning because I'm so easily "interchangeable"... :rolleye:

As for the ones who want to go into medicine for the money, I'd suggest they rethink their options. Between the cost of loans, the cuts in medicare and other insurance payments and the malpractice rates exploding all over the country, they will find that their dream of big bucks may be sererely altered, or at least their practice options would be more limited.

Ironically, when I picked up my Klingbeil's at the factory last year, I was told by the office manager that I should come up there some time and talk to Sarah H. about becoming a doctor. I told them I'd be a lousy source for her--I'd probably try to convince her to get an MBA instead!!! I still enjoy what I'm doing, but the thought of getting out of clinical and into the educational end more is entering my thick head. Between cutbacks, technlogist and nursing shortages and other issues, I'm getting just as burned out as every other doc. This is no longer a field for those seeking glamour and glory and money--its plain hard work and a lot of frustration. I admire Sarah for actually still being dedicated to doing it. I wonder if that will last.

Dr. Yaz

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
skatepixie said:
How....stupid of her. All she would have had to do would be to fix some problems with her skating and she could have had soooo much in this sport. Or, she could have turned pro and made $ touring. Instead, she wants to be a doctor? Sorry, but that seems crazy to me. Id do anything for what she had. Its hard for me to believe that shed throw it away.

I think it's stupid that other skaters don't even TRY to go to college... (Tara has nothing else to do with her injury, she could take classes... as a role model it wouldn't hurt her to show school is good for ya! ;))

yeah, Sarah is so totally screwing up her life to become a doctor :rolleye:

guess I must be screwing my life up pretty bad going to college myself... should just sit around on teh streets and be a bum for living... that's so much better than going to college

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I agree TARA should go to college. She can't skate any more, and she sure can't act. There must be something useful for which she has talent that she could do with her life. Someday soon she will find that life on the red carpet isn't any fun if you don't get to be in the movies and win an Oscar.

Sarah has the right idea. Last year couldn't have been any fun for her, with everyone expecting her to be super skater when she'd really rather hang out with her friends and be a high school kid. Now she can be a college student and do whatever she wants instead of spending 20-40 hours a week in a cold rink.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
skatepixie said:
How....stupid of her. .... Instead, she wants to be a doctor? Sorry, but that seems crazy to me. Id do anything for what she had. Its hard for me to believe that shed throw it away.
I'd like to see you say that to Dr. Debi Thomas and Dr. Tenley Albright. I wish I could skate but I also wish I had the drive and determination to be a doctor.

Sarah's parents instilled in her the importance of an education and Sarah realizes there is more to life than just skating. I'm glad that she has decided to go to school. Maybe she will come back to skating, or maybe not. Maybe she'll become a lawyer instead of a doctor. But that is her decision to make. Good luck at Yale. If you decide to return to skating, good luck in that. No matter what she decides, she is not stupid nor is it a stupid decision.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

A lot of great comments on this thread. Hearing from Dr. Yaz and people who have been put in the position of having to depend on doctors is invaluable to me. But as regards Sarah's choice, I say Amen to Spirit's quote:
Spirit said:
Sarah chose the life she wanted. Regarding her career, that is the only fact that matters. All others are completely irrelevant.

And thanks to Nadine for addressing the original question.

Finally, Skatepixie, even though I disagree with you, of course you're entitled to your opinion. You just might want to reconsider your wording next time, even though that advice is coming from one with much experience in choosing the wrong words:)
Rgirl

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Sarah can always skate - maybe not for our pleasure, but for her own - which is what skating is about anyway. Becoming a dr. is quite an undertaking, I doubt Sarah will have time to train for Nationals. I am sure she has given this plenty of thought and has decided to take the path that is best for her. All the best to her. Thanks Sarah for one of the most thrilling Olympic moments ever.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Okay, I'm going to play the "devil's advocate" here just to mix things up a bit. I have a feeling that if Sarah had picked up a National or World title last year, or had been close, she would still be skating. Just a thought. She gave one more year a shot after the Oly's and it didn't pan out (I give her an A plus for trying). I think she wanted at least a National or World title to validate her Olympic win (some would say she didn't need it, but I think she thought she did). I too feel that her academic ambitions are note worthy, however (here come the flying bananas) gaining an education can happen at any age (I know medical school is a long haul), but, a skater can't count on still being able to skate 10 or 20 years from now, but you can still go to school. I know a gent that went back to school, after retiring from the medical profession at 58, got his teaching credential, and is high school teacher and loves it............42

SusanBeth

Final Flight
She isn't going to just any school. She's an extremely intelligent girl, but it's going to take some work to excel at Yale. Also, the competition for medical school is fierce. Maybe, she didn't want to risk falling behind academically. It's very difficult going back to school after taking years off.

lavender

Record Breaker
I think Sarah knows what to expect in the skating world. Lets face it, Sarah wasn't going to win unless another situation like the Olympics happened. Maybe if she skipped last year she would still give it a try but I think eventually she would have decided very soon to focus on school. However I think Sarah will be a great doctor. I think she is doing the right thing.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's be realistic here. Sarah competed last year, but it was obvious that her whole heart wasn't in it. She was somewhat out of shape at the Crest and Hallmark competitions, which could be attributed to her injury early in the season. But she was more out of shape a month later, at Nationals, and by Worlds, she was 'way out of shape. Apparently, she was training only intermittently and never put in enough practice to be truly competitive with the other top skaters.

Sarah always had some minuses along with her pluses. Her flutz was noticeably bad, she tended to underrotate her jumps, and her posture wasn't great. Without intensive training, the flutz became outrageously bad, and most of her jumps at Nationals and Worlds were underrotated.

Sarah really didn't have the motivation to continue. She already had the OGM, and though Nationals and Worlds titles would have been nice to have, she obviously didn't want them badly enough to put aside her other interests as she had for the Olympics.

Sarah has said she wouldn't be competing this season. But let's face it: if she lets this year go by, next year she will be even less motivated to get back on the training treadmill. She has other interests now.

skatepixie

On the Ice
Cactus said:
Almost all doctors are mere functionaries. Highly-trained ones, to be sure, but what they do is interchangeable. Most of them are not superior to skaters by virtue of what they do. Elite level skaters, especially ones like Sarah Hughes who can draw huge crowds, generate revenue that support the livelihoods of many people involved in skating, and bring pleasure to millions. Lionizing doctors over skaters is silly.

That said, Sarah probably made the wiser of choices. Her skating fell drastically below the level of an reigning Olympic champion. She's quitting while she's ahead. Well, ok, she's quitting while she's had a year to fall behind from being ahead.

Thank you for putting it in a more easily understood way!

dizzydi

On the Ice
Will Sarah be at Nationals? I would be shocked if she did appear for many of the reasons that were already mentioned.

Regarding her decision to attend Yale and pursue her dream of becoming a doctor. I find this totally impressive that Sarah has such a goal at her young age. Of course, there is time for her to change her mind but at least she is pursing an education.

I agree with Dr. Yaz regarding "big bucks" as someone described it in seeking a medical career. Those days are gone. Doctors, although well paid, do not earn the incredible salaries that were available decades ago. The truth is that Sarah could probably make more money in figureskating and endorsements had she stayed and remained competitive.

There again, as much as I admire and enjoy Sarah's skating (and this is my opinion so don't get riled up), I can't help but think that Sarah Hughes had "Lady Luck" on her side in SLC. Never before had she skated so well. Michelle/Irina/Sasha, did not skate up to their capabilities. Sarah took advantage of a situation. She won fairly but so many factors had to be in place for that to happen. Sarah knows this. She is a very intelligent young woman. Sarah could have easily postponed her entry to college for another year. I believe she made the right choice. Quit while you're ahead. I really believe it's as simple as that!

As far as criticism goes......Sarah Hughes have every right to choose what she wants for her future. She has no obligation to defend her decision.

Dizzy

sk8m8

Final Flight
Just a postscript to all that has been written...

Debbi Thomas made the decision to stay eligible and delay her studies. She has said in interviews, that though she enjoyed her last eligible and short pro career years, it really hampered her when it came time to get back to work on her pre-med studies.

Perhaps Sarah gave up so much of a "normal" life to achieve what she did that she was ready to live life as a "normal" college co-ed. We will never really know since no one I know has recieved a personal letter from Sarah explaining her decision.

I have ALWAYS been impressed with Sarah as a person, whether she skated well or not at the time. I have faith that she gave a LOT of thought to her decisions and did not make them lightly. That's pleanty good enough for me.

Johar

Medalist
I remember during the 80s reading about several skaters and gymnasts who had no goals or ambitions beyond the Olympics, then when their careers were cut short they ended up floating around with no aim or direction, often dabbing into drugs and alcohol abuse. With no education, they could only muster lower paying jobs. Quite sad, honestly.

So Sarah should be applauded for what she is doing.