Worst Skating Outfits | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Worst Skating Outfits

Vash01

Medalist
JonnyCoop said:
Glad I'm not the only one who saw Jahnke's costume last year and wondered if Beatrice Arthur was missing a blouse......

As for my own personal list, well, so many I have blocked out -- but does anyone remember Shishkova & Naumov's lime green numbers from the Albertville short program??? And really, anything ever put on by Ukrainian (except for Liashenko) is usually good for a mortified shriek or two.

Shishkova-Naumov wore the lime green for their LP. Their SP costume was a very sober black & white, when they skated to Take five.

Vash01

Medalist
Oksana Baiul wore a cape for one of her pro routines and later took it off, I think. The makeup was hideous and the costume was awful.

Irina's exhibition costume at 2005 worlds was awful.

B&S had their share of weird costumes during the 1998-1999 season. At the Japan open when they skated to Concert for coloratura, they wore what I call Dalmatian (spotted) costumes. During the same season they wore bright yellow/orange and a few other colors for their Happy Valley SP. I am glad that they found better costumes for worlds.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
My favorite Costume!

shizuka.jpg

Definitely my favourite costume of all time!

(Yes, that's off my photobucket account, so no one is bandwidth leeching LOL)

Germanice

On the Ice
Julie O said:
I believe it was from the Exhibition when he won his first European title, back in 1997. (Please don't shoot if I'm wrong lol, I don't have time this minute to go back and check). Incredibly, the number, titled "One Banana" lol, made it to US tv. Yeah, really!

Julie
It was from the Gala at Worlds 1997 in Geneve, when he became 3rd. He became European Champion for the first time one year later, in Milano.
And no, I won't shoot you! :) ;)

Anke

PS: Let's see if Google provides me some costume-images of Dmitry Dmitrenko ... :biggrin:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
PeeWee Herman's Big Adventure

You wouldn't think anyone would skate to it...and surely not in these outfits. Skate Canada balked, but Petr and Janoschak decided to go with this crazed costumes in 1991.

I have heard about these; Doris, thanks for sharing because I always wondered what they looked like. (YEEEEEPPP!!) Toller Cranston designed them (which explains a lot), and he also choreographed their free dance. They were told not to wear them at Canadians (and they didn't), but they did wear them at Worlds.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Hi JonnyCoop!

They certainly were memorable outfits though. I even remembered the name of the otherwise lackluster couple that wore them.

The choreo was humorous, but P&J were not able to carry it off, unfortunately. Poor Toller.

Julie O

Rinkside
Thanks, Anke! :clap: Did you actually remember this (you have a fantastic memory if so!) or did you look it up? I have been thinking about a good way to be able to quickly reference and search for things like this in my DVD and VHS skating collections. I do have a contact/data base program that might work, but it all takes a lot of time, and I'm not finished converting to DVD yet. :eek:hwell:

Julie

PS, this is a funny thread....:agree:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
S

SkateFan4Life

Maria Butraskaya had some major costume issues, IMHO. Her costume designer seemed to forget the fact that the skater's fanny is supposed to be covered up and not be exposed when the skater wears the costume. So many times Maria's posterior stuck out, and, well, I spent more time watching this spectacle then I did watching her actually skate her program.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
As a friend of mine once said about Surya Bonaly.... "Does she really have to keep wearing those French-cut things? I really don't need to see that....." Beyond that, it was amazing she could even jump at all, given that most of her costumes looked like they weighed 45 pounds each. Wouldn't a nice little Mardi Gras float be a little easier to wear??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
Maria Butraskaya had some major costume issues, IMHO. Her costume designer seemed to forget the fact that the skater's fanny is supposed to be covered up and not be exposed when the skater wears the costume. So many times Maria's posterior stuck out, and, well, I spent more time watching this spectacle then I did watching her actually skate her program.

L:laugh: L Skatefan. The problem with Maria Butyrskaya was that she designed ALL of her costumes LOL. The one that got to me wasn't really a costume issue for her, but a choreography issue. In her 2002 Olympic short program, she had this soft, pretty music that she interpreted OK...she wore pretty much this off-white nightgown while skating...and at the very end, the music ends softly, then she does something strange...she puts her left hand at the bottom of her skirt, and lifts it up a bit! I always thought whenever I saw this program that she was a nun becoming a prostitute at the very end.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Aren't rinks a bit cold for that sort of thing? Didn't she have enough major health problems without setting herself up for pneumonia??:laugh: