Your best bet for the Russian Olympic ladies team | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Your best bet for the Russian Olympic ladies team

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Kamila is a lock

I think the battle is between Anna Liza and Sasha IF she’s healthy.
A healthy Sasha with a mistake will easily beat a clean Liza.
Russia wants a sweep. They’ll send the top 3 scoring potentials no matter what.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don’t believe this article is true. There is too much that remains to be seen. Specifically, the GP Finals and Russians Nationals need to take place. I think the reason why this threesome is intriguing to many is because his team will have a little bit of everything.

1) Kamila - The up and comer coming from Juniors
2) Anna - One of 3A, showing that you can be competitive in Seniors for three consecutive seasons
3) Elizaveta - A former World Champion, conveying that a woman in her 20s can still be competitive in this sport

This team seems to have a balance of everything and these three keep proving themselves at every event, so far. So, I can see why Russia has these three as the favourites. However, Trusova, Aliona and Maia are hungry and out for blood in the next two events. So, a lot can happen. Let the best athlete win.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I don’t believe this article is true. There is too much that remains to be seen. Specifically, the GP Finals and Russians Nationals need to take place. I think the reason why this threesome is intriguing to many is because his team will have a little bit of everything.

1) Kamila - The up and comer coming from Juniors
2) Anna - One of 3A, showing that you can be competitive in Seniors for three consecutive seasons
3) Elizaveta - A former World Champion, conveying that a woman in her 20s can still be competitive in this sport

This team seems to have a balance of everything and these three keep proving themselves at every event, so far. So, I can see why Russia has these three as the favourites. However, Trusova, Aliona and Maia are hungry and out for blood in the next two events. So, a lot can happen. Let the best athlete win.
If this is true— and I have no way of knowing—it suggests to me that Trusova’s injury is more serious than was thought, probably season-ending.

May I also say that this Olympics will be almost entirely a TV event (okay—TV and streamed), and that Tuktamysheva makes great TV. For this reason alone, I would absolutely have her on the team even if her competitive results did not justify it. (fortunately, they do—she’s had a great season)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
in Canada (not in figure skating however) some spots are decided ahead of time like this, prior to olympic games. It is aimed to let the athletes prepare for the games instead of preparing on qualification... In case or Russian women, they are so strong if the top 5-6 ladies were allowed to go, they could sweep those top 5-6 spots... so why not pick already based on how the season is going, letting the athletes prepare for the big one... It is done in other sports, why not skating? I find that a big fight at Nationals just a few weeks before the games may be exciting for the fans but not conducive to the best performance at the games. Peaking twice in such a short period of time is very hard to do, even for the steadiest of athletes.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
in Canada (not in figure skating however) some spots are decided ahead of time like this, prior to olympic games. It is aimed to let the athletes prepare for the games instead of preparing on qualification... In case or Russian women, they are so strong if the top 5-6 ladies were allowed to go, they could sweep those top 5-6 spots... so why not pick already based on how the season is going, letting the athletes prepare for the big one... It is done in other sports, why not skating? I find that a big fight at Nationals just a few weeks before the games may be exciting for the fans but not conducive to the best performance at the games. Peaking twice in such a short period of time is very hard to do, even for the steadiest of athletes.
I agree (y) That's why Anna Shcherbakova was brilliant at Nationals, and not equally good at Worlds. Or at least schedule your Nationals two weeks before Olympics/Worlds/biggest competition of the year, to see who is in best form for that competition.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
However, Trusova, Aliona and Maia are hungry and out for blood in the next two events.
At this point, Liza and/or Anna would have to bomb to disrupt the line-up. Alena and Maiia just haven't delivered consistently high scores like the top two Worlds finishers, so it's a lot riskier booting skaters who have earned Olympic medal-worthy scores at every event this season.

Raskolnikov

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Trusova with just one quad got the same score as Tuktamysheva with the three 3As
Is there really a question who should take the third spot :shrug:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I am sure that there is no final decision at this moment. The mentioned skaters are those who showed the best results so far. So it is "captain obvious" to name them as the team. I wonder what this person is going to say if Liza has a meltdown at Rusnats getting the 7th place as it was last time. Yes, I hope that it won't happen.

Valieva is a lock if she is not injured.
Scherbakova is 80% lock. She is the most decorated Russian skater now title wise. She has proven that she is reliable - that's important for the team event. She has the second best result this season. Only unlikely Rusnats meltdown or injury can keep her off the team

The third spot - that's the question.

Liza is the natural choice. But she is imo 50% lock. 30% goes to Sasha if she somehow skates her best at Rusnats, lands all the quads and scores in 250-260s which is off limits to Liza.

Remaining 20% is split equally between Alyona and Maya. To become relevant Alyona needs 3 3As clean as a whistle at Rusnats. And Maya? 2 clean quads won't be enough. Maybe they will prepare something else for Rusnats?

Amei

Record Breaker
I am sure that there is no final decision at this moment. The mentioned skaters are those who showed the best results so far. So it is "captain obvious" to name them as the team. I wonder what this person is going to say if Liza has a meltdown at Rusnats getting the 7th place as it was last time. Yes, I hope that it won't happen.

Valieva is a lock if she is not injured.
Scherbakova is 80% lock. She is the most decorated Russian skater now title wise. She has proven that she is reliable - that's important for the team event. She has the second best result this season. Only unlikely Rusnats meltdown or injury can keep her off the team

The third spot - that's the question.

Liza is the natural choice. But she is imo 50% lock. 30% goes to Sasha if she somehow skates her best at Rusnats, lands all the quads and scores in 250-260s which is off limits to Liza.

Remaining 20% is split equally between Alyona and Maya. To become relevant Alyona needs 3 3As clean as a whistle at Rusnats. And Maya? 2 clean quads won't be enough. Maybe they will prepare something else for Rusnats?

Agree the article is really a 'stating the obvious' article but they are pretending its set in stone for click-bait.

Regarding Kostornaia and Khromykh, I think they would need their 'new' elements by the GPF as well to prove that Nationals isn't a fluke; Kostornaia 3 triple axels and Khromykh either a triple axel or a quad (wasn't she attempting a quad salchow last year?)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Trusova with just one quad got the same score as Tuktamysheva with the three 3As
Is there really a question who should take the third spot :shrug:
Sasha with one quad also scored 16 points higher than when she tried five at the US Classic. Liza hasn't dipped in the 210s this season like Sasha has, which is problematic when you consider that a lot of skaters can beat that kind of score.

Raskolnikov

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Sasha with one quad also scored 16 points higher than when she tried five at the US Classic. Liza hasn't dipped in the 210s this season like Sasha has, which is problematic when you consider that a lot of skaters can beat that kind of score.
Sasha dropped in 210s when she tried a very ambitious layout at the very beginning of the season.
When she was tasked with winning the GP event she easily did that by adjusting the difficulty.
Anna lost to Maiia in Budapest. Does it mean anything? No. She raised her game and took over both of her GP events.
Tuktik is capable of losing to a number of foreign skaters and there is nothing she can do about that. She already is at her maximum.

And if the whole idea is about selling stories. Then Russian Rocket has a very good case too. The girl who pushed the female sport forward to unimaginable heights.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Sasha dropped in 210s when she tried a very ambitious layout at the very beginning of the season.
When she was tasked with winning the GP event she easily did that by adjusting the difficulty.
Anna lost to Maiia in Budapest. Does it mean anything? No. She raised her game and took over both of her GP events.
Tuktik is capable of losing to a number of foreign skaters and there is nothing she can do about that. She already is at her maximum.

And if the whole idea is about selling stories. Then Russian Rocket has a very good case too. The girl who pushed the female sport forward to unimaginable heights.

Trusova is like Danton in FS. Tutberidze here is like Robespierre.
The end of the [Quads] Revolution is bad for revolutionaries but good for the humankind. Like always.

Artemisa

Final Flight
By this point of view... Kostronaia didn't have less than 210 either and that without any c- element ...

macy

Record Breaker
I get so annoyed when people put Liza ahead of Anna 🙄

Liza has been great the season and I love her. However, people need to really look at the results over the past year and I don’t even see one real reason justifying how Liza can even be justified as solidying a stronger position ahead Anna, leading to GP finals and Russian Nationals. How is Anna the third pick?

Anna has won Russian Nationals for three years in a row. She even beat Kamila last year 😳; Liza was 7th by the way…. 😟
Anna won Worlds, despite struggling in practice. She won over Liza and Sasha and is the World Champion! This means she was the best last season. Number 1. Does this mean anything?
Anna won WTT over Kaori; Liza was great, but, finished in 3rd. Anna completed an undefeated season. Shouldn’t that count for something?

This year, Anna won gold medals in both of her Senior GP events.
Her best score this season is higher than Liza.

How is Liza in a better position than Anna, at this point of the year? I’m really curious to know how someone can justify this point of view and how they can be serious, think of this, and then post it in a chat thread. My mind is sometimes shocked 😮 at the thought process of some people on this board.
number one, it's not that serious. it's figure skating.

number two, i think a lot of my thought had to do with the generous pushing and overscoring of Liza this season and it means only one thing- they want her at the olympics. she has been very consistent this season with her 3As and there was question surrounding Anna towards the beginning of the season with her injury and not having her quads back, however for some reason i was thinking Liza had been scoring higher than her and she hasn't, so yes Anna should be spot number two. personally i would like to see Anna at the olympics over Liza, as for me Liza leaves much to be desired with her skating.

however that being said Liza is still making a solid case for herself.

Amei

Record Breaker
I get so annoyed when people put Liza ahead of Anna 🙄

Liza has been great the season and I love her. However, people need to really look at the results over the past year and I don’t even see one real reason justifying how Liza can even be justified as solidying a stronger position ahead Anna, leading to GP finals and Russian Nationals. How is Anna the third pick?

Anna has won Russian Nationals for three years in a row. She even beat Kamila last year 😳; Liza was 7th by the way…. 😟
Anna won Worlds, despite struggling in practice. She won over Liza and Sasha and is the World Champion! This means she was the best last season. Number 1. Does this mean anything?
Anna won WTT over Kaori; Liza was great, but, finished in 3rd. Anna completed an undefeated season. Shouldn’t that count for something?

This year, Anna won gold medals in both of her Senior GP events.
Her best score this season is higher than Liza.

How is Liza in a better position than Anna, at this point of the year? I’m really curious to know how someone can justify this point of view and how they can be serious, think of this, and then post it in a chat thread. My mind is sometimes shocked 😮 at the thought process of some people on this board.

I think a lot of people want to see Tuktamysheva who is in her 20s at the Olympics and their importance on that is influencing the "rankings" that are happening.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I think a lot of people want to see Tuktamysheva who is in her 20s at the Olympics and their importance on that is influencing the "rankings" that are happening.
I agree... she is being push to much .. I like liza and I think she deserves to go in the olympics ... she is one of that skaters that for some reason or another miss the other two olympics .. was never her time ... she has a true shot this time but the problem is that there are other skaters who deserves the spot to .. and if for some reason she doesn't deliver the 3A she won't get the bronze in the olympics .. in the other hand a Kostornaia even without the 3A probably can get it.. or sasha even if she only jumps to 2-3 quads