Your favorite "choreographic slide" in Free Dance? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Your favorite "choreographic slide" in Free Dance?

rain

Record Breaker
Fear and Gibson, Gilles and Poirier have the two best for me, though I go against the grain this year and really dislike the rest of Fear/Gibson's program. I know a lot of people love it, but it ready totally old-fashioned, in a bad way, to me. Ugh. But the slide is awesome.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Until I watched P & C at the last GP and they list all the technical elements on the box, I had no idea "choreographic slide" was an actual move that gets counted and not some sort of flourish that gets added to transitions, choreography, interpretation and performance.

Then again, ID confuses me.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I think people do have a basis for saying that the new BV differences between levels are too small. As an example, the difference between a level 1 and level 4 step sequence is only 1.5 points but there is a huge difference in the amount of intricacy, variety of turns and holds, and perfection in execution needed to achieve level 4
If you look on paper the difference is maybe small. But keep in mind that skaters rarely get points only on a BV. In a competition skaters who achieve those levels will get a GOE too, so the difference between for example Level 4 + GOE (% of Level 4 BV) and Level 3 + GOE (% of Level 3 BV) will be bigger. The difference between base values is smaller because you multiple those difference with higher GOE percentage now and you can get to a bigger difference. With the same logic they were lowering the BV of quads (because how the GOE works now, you can score much more in the end).

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
If you look on paper the difference is maybe small. But keep in mind that skaters rarely get points only on a BV. In a competition skaters who achieve those levels will get a GOE too, so the difference between for example Level 4 + GOE (% of Level 4 BV) and Level 3 + GOE (% of Level 3 BV) will be bigger. The difference between base values is smaller because you multiple those difference with higher GOE percentage now and you can get to a bigger difference. With the same logic they were lowering the BV of quads (because how the GOE works now, you can score much more in the end).

Unlike in the other disciplines, the GOE is not a percentage scale of the BVs of the elements in ice dance. For a Style B step sequence (page 10) for example, the GOE scale is fixed for levels 1 to 4 and only differs for level B. The same goes for all the other leveled rhythm and free dance elements.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Unlike in the other disciplines, the GOE is not a percentage scale of the BVs of the elements in ice dance. For a Style B step sequence (page 10) for example, the GOE scale is fixed for levels 1 to 4 and only differs for level B. The same goes for all the other leveled rhythm and free dance elements.

OH Yes, you are right, thanks! I was looking at some protocols only, without calculating. So if you look in protocols from IDF you can see that for example P/C got more points for their Level 4 steps comparing to S/K Level 3 steps (difference is thanks to GOE more than 0.5) who again got more points than the other teams who got Level 2 steps. Level 4 steps mostly got 4 GOE, Level 3 mostly 3 GOE, and Level 2 mostly 2 or 1 GOE. But then again, that is not the rule. Maybe Ice Dance comittee think that difference between Level 2 and Level 3 steps indeed is not a big deal :)