Your favorite ladies Olympic competition | Golden Skate

Your favorite ladies Olympic competition

skateluvr

Record Breaker
What would it be?

I nominate a few going back 20 years.

In chronological order...

1994 Olympics. The sheer excitement of the Tonya Nancy showdown. Who would rise above and skate well? Nancy had the skate of her life- a miraculous skate give the assault. stunning in the best dress ever. Return of Witt skating for Sarajevo and parents. And the surprise world champion from 93 who had the most amazing balletic sp and the other skaters were slac jawed. What a final. Such Drama.

1998. The battle of the teens. World Champion Kwan against world Champion Lipinski.
Drama of the favorite beloved Kwan skating what many say was the perfect program for her Lyra. Would Michelle be able to do the jumps after broken toe and time off? Lu Chen had so much Drama and was the reigning bronze medalist. So much drama with her jumps and struggle, at 25 her fed was trying to keep the reins on this exotic Chinese beauty. Would she hold it together? Well u saw how close it was and is still debated today. Lulu did show up and the elegance and maturely skated program was so lovely. Her dress was one I never forget.

2002IH Arguably the best ladies threesome we sent to an Olympics. Before scrupulous replays tracked every ur every edge call thisOlympics was the last of the top 6.0 trained skaters. It was a cliff hangar. All 4 top ladies skated well but Sarah flew and made history. Kwan and Irina were tight not top of game but the four top skaters were impressive and 3 Americans on us soil. Very exciting nail biter esp for kwanites who wanted it bad for her. Whew wow. Sarah and her coach collapse on floor when they realize.

2010. Yuna with huge momentum. Mao with three triple axels and a great effort at those Tarasova programs. Then the death of the expected bronze medalist mother joannie Rocette on home turf. Heroic impossible skates and she gets third when some feel Nagasu had won the medal for two incredible skates. The Mao Yuna fight on the ice with the pressure hugely on both -4 year rivalry. Japan Korea historic backdrop to the sport. People were split about the Joanie performances that made the world sob. What a feeling in that building I can only imagine as Canadians screamed their support fo Rochette.

2014 Sochi is close in our memory. the Russian girls skating to partisan crowds and Yunas amazing comeback. Maos courageous amazing freeskate albeit too late was moving and the woman who won my vote Caro kostner. Podium was reversed for me. Again great great skating and worthy of three way tie. Each very different and the teen again makes off with the medal with a huge upset over the reigning gold medalist.

Of these or other Olympics ladies finals what would you spend your money to see? Which final was most compelling and why.?

There were others not on podium that may have impressed you deeply. If I could see just one what Oly ladies comp. would I go to? I still cannot decide amongst these above I remember!!!!

Time travelers please chime in!

Last edited:
I would go with 2010. Jaw-dropping perfection from Yuna Kim, excitiong competition between her and Mao. Joannie Rochette a worthy bronze under great duress.

1998 and 2002 were too heartbreaking for me, although I have to give Tara and Sarah their props.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What would it be?

I nominate a few going back 20 years.

In chronological order...

1994 Olympics. The sheer excitement of the Tonya Nancy showdown. Who would rise above and skate well? Nancy had the skate of her life- a miraculous skate give the assault. stunning in the best dress ever. Return of Witt skating for Sarajevo and parents. And the surprise world champion from 93 who had the most amazing balletic sp and the other skaters were slac jawed. What a final. Such Drama.

1998. The battle of the teens. World Champion Kwan against world Champion Lipinski.
Drama of the favorite beloved Kwan skating what many say was the perfect program for her Lyra. Would Michelle be able to do the jumps after broken toe and time off? Lu Chen had so much Drama and was the reigning bronze medalist. So much drama with her jumps and struggle, at 25 her fed was trying to keep the reins on this exotic Chinese beauty. Would she hold it together? Well u saw how close it was and is still debated today. Lulu did show up and the elegance and maturely skated program was so lovely. Her dress was one I never forget.

2002IH Arguably the best ladies threesome we sent to an Olympics. Before scrupulous replays tracked every ur every edge call thisOlympics was the last of the top 6.0 trained skaters. It was a cliff hangar. All 4 top ladies skated well but Sarah flew and made history. Kwan and Irina were tight not top of game but the four top skaters were impressive and 3 Americans on us soil. Very exciting nail biter esp for kwanites who wanted it bad for her. Whew wow. Sarah and her coach collapse on floor when they realize.

2010. Yuna with huge momentum. Mao with three triple axels and a great effort at those Tarasova programs. Then the death of the expected bronze medalist mother joannie Rocette on home turf. Heroic impossible skates and she gets third when some feel Nagasu had won the medal for two incredible skates. The Mao Yuna fight on the ice with the pressure hugely on both -4 year rivalry. Japan Korea historic backdrop to the sport. People were split about the Joanie performances that made the world sob. What a feeling in that building I can only imagine as Canadians screamed their support fo Rochette.

2014 Sochi is close in our memory. the Russian girls skating to partisan crowds and Yunas amazing comeback. Maos courageous amazing freeskate albeit too late was moving and the woman who won my vote Caro kostner. Podium was reversed for me. Again great great skating and worthy of three way tie. Each very different and the teen again makes off with the medal with a huge upset over the reigning gold medalist.

Of these or other Olympics ladies finals what would you spend your money to see? Which final was most compelling and why.?

There were others not on podium that may have impressed you deeply. If I could see just one what Oly ladies comp. would I go to? I still cannot decide amongst these above I remember!!!!

Time travelers please chime in!
Thanks you for your perspective. Ah such memories. I never knew so much about Lu Chen but she was an exquisite skater that is for sure. I agree for the most part :) Though in 2002 I think there were a lot of amazing skaters/skates maybe more than 4. And I don't think too many would suggest there was anything really controversial about Joannie Rochette winning bronze in 2010. In fact ifyou look at the skating skills and transitions Joannie believe it or not may have been better than Yuna and Mao but never given such credit. She had amazing in-betweens, flow and edges and like Carolina (though Joannie had more content generally) that should have held her up over Mirai - who remember while skated the skate o her life also did not capture Carmen but rather was more of a Miss Smiling America type skater through her Carmen. What I am saying is Joannie should have had enough pcs to win over Mirai - moreover, technically her jumps were more powerful and had amplitude other than the tiny errors - still with Goe's on the other j umps she should have beaten Mirai.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'd choose 2014 because of the huge amount of clean or close-to-clean performances and because I would like to be able to say "I was there and I can state for sure that xxxxx had better speed/jumps/spins than yyyyy". Most of all, however, I would have liked to witness Caro's best programs ever and Yu-Na's magical Send In the Clowns :love:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
2014. And not because of the controversy, but because of the skating. Despite the stellar performances from the top 3 we had Mao's redeeming FS. I doesn't get any better than that. And I was proven wrong, I always thought that no one could beat a clean Carolina with all her triples (but I didn't trust her to give two clean performances ..). Well, I was wrong. But I wasn't the only one dissapointed with the result. ;)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle & Tara - 1998 Lulu's comeback & bronze medal performance!

Midori Ito - 1988, Liz Manley's surprise silver medal

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
2002. Very exciting. 2014, mainly for Mao-Yuna-Caro. They saved the ladies competition there despite the final result.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Definitely 2010. So many skaters performed well. Even the non-medalists were great. Mirai, Rachael, and Akiko Suzuki didn't medal but were all great. Tessa and Scott, Charlie, Meryl and Charlie were both great. Yuna, Mao, and Joanie made the Ladies event one of, if not the best in History.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
2010... cause well, i was there ;) but didn't get the chance to attend the FS... tickets were impossible to get.... We all expected Kim and she did deliver.... We were hoping as Canadians that Joannie would do well... she was coming from a great showing at the previous WC (silver right?) and over the last couple years, her skating skills had improved tremendously. But then, hearing the news put everything in perspective.... it brought me back a long long time ago when synchronized swimmer Sylvie Fréchette's boyfriend committed suicide before the Olympics games.... and she went on to swim... a judge made a computing mistake which prevented her from winning, and she was awarded her gold medal later on..... but yeah... I am mentioning this side-story as this is what the Olympics are for me.... we do have the favourites, but there are the tragedies, the cinderella stories... etc.... Joannie was a top contender, she suffered incredible pressure at home, had just lost her mother who had traveled to the games, and became the darling of the games.... because of her composure, her emotional and brilliant performance. She delivered.... Some people even thought she deserved silver... We were all ecstatic, Chanadians :) and I think other people from other nationalities also were. So yeah... 2010....
I guess the other one for me would be 1988.... the Carmen battle... which ended up being the Liz Manley show ;) and also the beginning of ITO!!!!!!!!! if it weren't for figures, Canada would have won its first ever gold medal at home ;)

Last edited:

RABID

Final Flight
I would go with 2010. Jaw-dropping perfection from Yuna Kim, excitiong competition between her and Mao. Joannie Rochette a worthy bronze under great duress.

1998 and 2002 were too heartbreaking for me, although I have to give Tara and Sarah their props.

Sarah Hughes in 2002 was kind kind of magical to me (I LIKED Slutskya and didn't LOVE Kwan); almost like a Hollywood ending. And Then Joannie in 2010 was similarly magical. The bonus for me is that I am Canadian and a Yuna fan and I don't think I have ever been as invested in one skater's success as I was for her. However if I wasn't a Canadian or a BIG Yuna fan those two Olympics would still be my favorites. I could have included Dorothy Hamill and the 1976 Olympics as well but if memory serves me I think it was more about her being just so gorgeous to a very young man.

begin

Medalist
OP left out the 2006 Olympics (though I don't if there's much to say about that one).

The 90's had way too much drama and heartbreak for me (Michelle</3), and recency bias has me picking between the last two events.

2010 was a very good year just because everything worked out well on the podium. The favored champion delivered for an unquestionable win and a lot of great skaters had their personal victories--Mao with 3 triple axels, Joannie persevering amidst tragedy, GREAT performances from Suzuki, Lepisto, Nagasu, etc. According to some people it was 'boring' but I assume that's because they had no horses in the race. I'm inclined to go with Vancouver.

2014 was technically excellent. A LOT of ladies laid their cases which was a relief given the mess that was the men's competition. History was made with Mao's 8 triple program and Russia's first gold medalist. Legends were established with Caro finally performing well and Yuna cementing her Olympic legacy with two more clean programs. More over, we witnessed the dawn of the young Russian dominance. It was an exciting night of women vs. girls that was unfortunately tarnished by the controversial judging. Personally, I kinda hold it responsible for the insane standard of judging we're seeing now.

Last edited:

edenlover

On the Ice
Way back in the day...1968 Grenoble...there was Peggy, Gabby, and Hannah. It was a good one. Trixie Schuba was also competing. Gabby Seifert is the daughter of Mrs. Mueller who coached Katarina. Was a great competition, and on of the first I watched in color.

1976 was pretty exciting as well. Dorothy had come in second place at the World Championships for the previous two years, and the winners of those events--Dianne DeLeu (Netherlands, and I can't spell her last name) and Christina Erath (East Germany) were her main competition. Dorothy had two gorgeous performances and was the clear winner.

Then there was 92--Kristi and Midori, with Nancy and Tonya in the mix. Midori's second attempt at a triple axel near the end of her program gave her the silver, as she was in 4th after the short. Such a gutsy performance.

I know these performances and competitions don't hold a candle to the levels we see today, but the skaters were gorgeous and the programs had real teeth. The programs they skated were unique, especially in choreography and style. The music was interesting as well, and there was more than one selection in each program. MOst had three, I believe. Not so many themes or pieces by one artist. I miss the good old days of figure skating, but I'll continue to watch it for as many years as I can.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
My favorite was 1994, it was the last time the skater won who I was pulling for, after that Michelle, Sasha, Mao and Julia all lost in the big event :cry:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I see that no one mentioned 2006. So I am going to give Sasha's SP a shout-out! Definitely one of my faves.

Layback11

Record Breaker
2014. It's the event that reignited my previous interest in skating.

I didn't really care at the time about the judging controversy because I wasn't very invested yet, but from that event I mostly remembered Gracie and Yulia (and Mao's epic splat and epic-er comeback :cool:), LOL. That was the result of the team event, where they were both great. Gracie was the top American so naturally I liked her, not knowing anything about skating at the time, and Yulia won me over with her insane flexibility...she inspired me so greatly that I was compelled to learn to do splits, LOL! Those two got me interested in skating again, and two years later, skating is my life (both watching it and actually skating), so of course I'll never forget it, even if none of the medalists particularly stood out to me. (I don't even remember seeing Adelina, Yuna was good but I wasn't blown away-again, I knew nothing skating at the time-and Carolina kind of bored me, so...the 4th-6th finishers were of more interest to me.)

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
In true form, hot mess Sasha (well, not really a hot mess) just HAD to make an appearance in Torino. :-|

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I would say the best for me was '98, due to the showdown between Tara and Michelle, and Lu's great performance as well.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
1998. Three great free skates. Michelle's gorgeous short. Tara's ecstatic long. And most of all, Chen Lu's comeback. She had to qualify. When we saw her early in the season, she looked like she might not even make the top ten. And there, on the greatest stage of all, she delivered like the true champion she always was.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
2014 tbh
great performances in both programs of all the medalists
Caro's bolero
Yulia drama, will she, won't she
Marvelous redeeming free skate from Mao <3
emotional goodbye to skating from Kim Yuna
Adelina getting the skate of her life