Your favorite ladies Olympic competition | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Your favorite ladies Olympic competition

gimble

On the Ice
The best for me were also 1998 (though heart broken for Kwan) and 2010 for all the reasons mentioned so far.

The worst and least memorable were 2002 and 2006. So disappointing.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agreed. Torino as a whole was completely forgettable.

My take away moments were Sasha's short and the Zhangs' wiping out on the quad.

Well that Zhangs moment was the drama moment of the whole thing! I'll never forget Dan landing that 2A+3T (the hardest SBS combo ever done by that point, mind you) right after it. And you know the Russians were somewhat seething that the wipeout stole their thunder and became the story of the night. :laugh: (Although I suppose the gold is nice too. :biggrin:)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'm going to have to go with 2006 as the worst. Shizuka Arakawa was fantastic and Sasha and Irina were great in their SP's and then Choked their LP's. This was however, a very good Men's Event.....Plushy was fantastic as were Jeffery Buttle, and Stephane Lambiel.

Speaking of 1992. I wasn't there but, I did see Kristi, Tonya, and Lu Chen at Skate America in Oakland in 1991. I'm sure it was an off day for her. However, Kristi just wasn't great and she was not close to Tonya at all. It's too bad Tonya wasn't able to recreate her Skate America performance because she would have won the OGM had been able to do so.

I think it is one of the saddest stories in all of sport. Tonya had raw talent good coaching but nothing else. She could have been thinner but she chose to eat unhealthy and she had an inhaler but she liked to smoke. She did not come from an uber family like the other two girls. Had she been a little more pc and shut her mouth the judges might have been more forgiving of her home made and too much illusion fabric. Arrogant gold blades before she had a world or Oly gold.

She had to have been desperate to take part in that attack whether before or after. She chose her men poorly and her mother was just a horror show. It is amazing she achieved what she did. We are not supposed to feel sorry for her but I do. If she had the Yamaguchi family with Asian work ethic and dentist dad or the parents Nancy was blessed with I think she could have been an Olympic medalist of any color.

It takes so much to be a usa ice princess. Too much really. I personally liked Nancy as a skater better than Kristi as amateurs. Reverse as pros. Yama as they called her really became an artist with SOI. She and Kwan had perfect timing for their careers. Tonya was never blessed in those ways. Witt was certainly a stunning Carmen but Debbie was a better skater. She choked and that was sad. I too recall being amazed at Liz Manley. I thought her free skate so much better I wished she had won the gold. It is amazing when you go back to the late 80s to see what layout what jumps could win a gold medal. I'm not a huge fan of Midori or Tonya or Liza despite the axels because I prefer their competitors artistically but I respect how difficult it is to do triple axel esp if you are a woman

I have to agree ladies 2006 was not so great. I found Shizuka safe boring and slow. That LP was underwhelming given what jumps she could do. She didn't think she needed to. I think she is the most forgotten Oly Gold skater outside of Japan anyway. Had Mao been old enough you know she would have gone for it. Sasha Cohen was wonderful in her SP. but we know her story. Still she had such style. Irinas Sp I liked but her LP is forgettable. For me anyway. Amazing how many years Irina skated and then we had only Leonova to watch as premier Russian lady. Now they seemed destined to dominate forever. It's the Russian girls and maybe a Japanese girl. Sure hope grace Gold can do it. Sarah seems like a long time ago.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I saw the interview of Debi Thomas (I did my research lol) after her freeskate. I felt so bad for her. I know it is the sport and name of the game but to interview her after her big moment and her melt down or rathernot winning gold or worse, silver even. I could see her pain, disappointment, discouragement and then her comments to the effect it was back to school and then her coach whisper in her ear which I seemed evident (be quiet you are on tv) - heartbreaking - I mean she is human. A great athlete, champion, scholar it was so sad. But she bounced back and became a doctor; I know she has some challenges now but still an amazing athlete. That all contributed to 1988 being one heck of a competition:)

Hmm... I am Debi's age. I didn't go to Stanford, but some of my friends did and knew her there. Debi is absolutely nothing remotely close to being a "scholar". I also had friends in med school who knew her at Northwestern. I think her forcing her education, or maybe her parents, was her downfall. It was sort of tragic. Her "Oh well, back to school" response really summed her up, and I say that in the kindest way. It was Harding-ish, who would blame everything on her lack of money growing up and mentally checked out. It was a crutch. I was Debi's biggest fan in the 80s, but she was kind of disconnected and used her education as an excuse. As in, let me self-sabotage and I have this woe is me factor going to excuse me of not performing how I should. Some people want to be champions and win everything. Others find excuses not to.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think that is a very cold assessment of Debbie now. She has had a life meltdown and I don't know exactly why. A very skilled therapist who has read and watched might proffer the reasons but it sure was a tough Olympics. And one has to read a ton of material to make it through med school. Orthopedic surgeons begin their own practice at 31.

I'm sure it takes more than top figure skater to get into Stanford. Debbie just received so much lack of compassion for the trailer and the gofundme page. She was treated as badly as Tonya but Debbie committed no crime nor participated in cover up to be fair to what Harding was convicted of. I wish her well and was sad to see no one like Scott Hamilton tried to help her. She was an SOI skater after all. It seems they only like those with the better luck. Very click like at the top.

LiamForeman said:
...she was kind of disconnected and used her education as an excuse. As in, let me self-sabotage and I have this woe is me factor going to excuse me of not performing how I should.

I think "disconnected" is the right word. Beyond that, we can't judge a person if we haven't walked in her shoes.

I wish her well and was sad to see no one like Scott Hamilton tried to help her. She was an SOI skater after all. It seems they only like those with the better luck. Very click like at the top.

Scott discussed Debi's time with SOI, I think in his book "Landing It." He said that she was distant from the other skaters and did not seem to have the same commitment to bringing her best to every show. (This was the one thing that Scott insisted on, for all of his skaters.) Finally, in the middle of the tour Scott had a talk with her and she broke down and confessed how isolated she felt, and how sad. According to my memory of what Scott wrote later, this broke the ice, Scott and the others made an effort to reach out and include her, and she tried harder to "be included." This seemed to work and (again according to my memory of what Scott wrote), she was more comfortable and happier for the rest of the tour.

gotoschool

Medalist
I think that is a very cold assessment of Debbie now. She has had a life meltdown and I don't know exactly why. A very skilled therapist who has read and watched might proffer the reasons but it sure was a tough Olympics. And one has to read a ton of material to make it through med school. Orthopedic surgeons begin their own practice at 31.

I'm sure it takes more than top figure skater to get into Stanford. Debbie just received so much lack of compassion for the trailer and the gofundme page. She was treated as badly as Tonya but Debbie committed no crime nor participated in cover up to be fair to what Harding was convicted of. I wish her well and was sad to see no one like Scott Hamilton tried to help her. She was an SOI skater after all. It seems they only like those with the better luck. Very click like at the top.

Your sympathetic post made watch Debi's LP performances at Worlds 1986 and 1987, which I am sad to say I hadn't seen. I didn't expect to like her skating that much, but I was impressed with her combination of athleticism and grace and the way she could inspire the audience, especially in 1987 coming back from achilles tendinitis after having difficult performances at Nationals. This is the heart and talent of a champion: beautiful lines and graceful extensions held for the right amount of time. Wonderful expression in her gestures. Gorgeous loft and flow in and out of her triple salchow and triple toe with just a bit of delayed rotation. Spread eagle and splits into more lofty triples. Subtlety and finesse mixed with power and fine skating skills that brought electricity to the audience. Anyone who had such fantastic moments like this should be proud of achievements that most people could only dream of.

I don't know if the Olympics could be a contributing cause to her troubles because it sounds like her medical career afterwards and marriages more, but Debbie's competitive results are excellent with a Worlds title in 1986 and a close second place in 1987 with two excellent LP performances in back to back years and a bronze in the Olympics. I certainly hope she can find happiness and overcome the difficulties in her life. Her skating has brought pleasure to mine. I know I have circumstances that have hit me really hard that I still don't know how to deal with. Life can suddenly hit anyone from the blind side, and if it does I think it's best to show compassion.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Hmm... I am Debi's age. I didn't go to Stanford, but some of my friends did and knew her there. Debi is absolutely nothing remotely close to being a "scholar". I also had friends in med school who knew her at Northwestern. I think her forcing her education, or maybe her parents, was her downfall. It was sort of tragic. Her "Oh well, back to school" response really summed her up, and I say that in the kindest way. It was Harding-ish, who would blame everything on her lack of money growing up and mentally checked out. It was a crutch. I was Debi's biggest fan in the 80s, but she was kind of disconnected and used her education as an excuse. As in, let me self-sabotage and I have this woe is me factor going to excuse me of not performing how I should. Some people want to be champions and win everything. Others find excuses not to.

Well stated Liam. When I think back to that competition and beyond Liz Manley denied, I remember thinking how exhausted Debi was after her LP. I thought...this is the Olympics with so much at stake and you are this unprepared...really? Many Olympians have successfully combined education and sport successfully or make adjustments as required. She did speak about Stanford and her studies at nauseum. One last thought, I remember her showing up with an engagement ring at the closing ceremonies in Calgary for the world to see. My thoughts were, ...whatdah, now, ...are you serious? You have been complaining about being busy at school/sport, but able to make such an investment in your personal life, or is this just wanting a last, "look at me moment". So talented and such a shame.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think "disconnected" is the right word. Beyond that, we can't judge a person if we haven't walked in her shoes.

Scott discussed Debi's time with SOI, I think in his book "Landing It." He said that she was distant from the other skaters and did not seem to have the same commitment to bringing her best to every show. (This was the one thing that Scott insisted on, for all of his skaters.) Finally, in the middle of the tour Scott had a talk with her and she broke down and confessed how isolated she felt, and how sad. According to my memory of what Scott wrote later, this broke the ice, Scott and the others made an effort to reach out and include her, and she tried harder to "be included." This seemed to work and (again according to my memory of what Scott wrote), she was more comfortable and happier for the rest of the tour.

Yes this is what I recall of his book then. She really needs help now. People never stop to see w she overcame. Most top athletes are egotistical and how many huge over the top rings do super bowl winners have and wear. No one attacks these guys who have more bling than taste. If there was ever a woman who did not want to show off her engagement ring I have never met her. So what? What does that have to do with what she accomplished? Of course she had a mother that pushed. We also forget Debbie is a black woman. How did she feel in the all white sport with an occasional Asian in those days? The Oly winners were lily white and Katarina Witt got as much attention for her beauty and figure as she did for her skating. Katarina was a great competitor. She was not the best skater bar none. Liz Manley showed finally what she could do. And Debbie was intimidated and nervous and blew it. That is how most skaters are. There have been some very cool competitors who are very consistent and they win the day. Witt, Kwan and Kim come to mind as having a mastery of their nerves. We know this is rare. Debbie has been through so much and how easy it is to kick her when she is really down.:noshake:

Last edited:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
speaking of Debi. Im not sure if this was mentioned before.. but TSL did an interview with her. Was very neat listening.

DexterK

On the Ice
1994- I was in 7th grade and fell in love with figure skating. I was a fan of the sport during Albertville, but this Olympics was different. I remember it all so well, the Nancy/Tonya drama, the coverage of skating before and during Lillehammer, cutting out articles and pictures from TVGuide and Time Magazine, the views of the Northern Light Hall, the Vern Lundquist narrated "who will write her name on Olympic ice tonight" fluff pice set to Morricone's La Califfa, Nancy's LP dress, Oksana's SP, Surya's Four Season's and fall on the second lutz, and I could go on and on.

1998 and 2002 were heartbreaking for me as well. Still are, one day I'll get over it. One day.

I often overlook 2006, and 2014 was a letdown.