Your favorite men's Olympic competition | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Your favorite men's Olympic competition

Amei

Record Breaker
Favorite competition - 2002, it was a great competition between the top men and it was Todd's swan song :sad21:

Favorite program - Philippe Candeloro's D'Artagnan program in 98, I still remember Scott Hamilton talking about how Candeloro skated for the audience and not the judges.

LadyB

Record Breaker
No brainer. Curry only won because of compulsories. There was nobody like Toller. I was 12 and had a Canadian flag draped around the telly (in Germany).
Battle of the Brians was best. They were equally brilliant. Rooted for Orser, happy he's become the coach of superstars. Today, I love them both for who they are. Nice lads.:love:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Those of you commenting on the 1988 Olympics...can you comment on the perception of the men's event in 1994? I recall reading that Urmanov's win was kind of controversial.

As for my favorite, 2002. (Though what I've seen of 1988 was epic, I didn't watch it live because I wasn't born.) Yagudin put down two jaw-dropping performances, the rivalry was amazing and real, and Tim Goebel landed a ton of quads. This was also the first time I witnessed legend TAT in her fur coat.

Many people did consider it controversial even with stojko error. Urmanov wasn't really anybody special. People brought up Cold War block voting. For the "artist" lots didnt even get what urmanov artistry was about or why he answered a phone.

edenlover

On the Ice
Many people did consider it controversial even with stojko error. Urmanov wasn't really anybody special. People brought up Cold War block voting. For the "artist" lots didnt even get what urmanov artistry was about or why he answered a phone.

You know, I have followed figure skating since the 64 Olympics and can recall memories about each one--positive memories. However, the 94 competitions is pretty much gone, with the exception of Oksana/Nancy and the controversy surrounding that. I can picture Urmanov's costume and final pose, but that's about all. I don't remember the programs of any of the men with the exception of Brian B and he faltered. I think Urmanov was a one-hit wonder. He was first in both events so he probably deserved to win. I just don't recall it being a very exciting competition.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's just that Urmanov was downright ridiculous in that costume and had some ridiculous choreo (answering a phone, the chicken leg thing).

I was ten years old in 1994, and I remember watching Urmanov's performance with my parents on tv; when he did the phone answering thing we all burst out laughing.

So 1994 was definitely not my favorite Olympic men's competition, but it's one that stands out in my mind as being ridiculous just because of Urmanov's weird choreography.

Sk8ingFan

Rinkside

The Battle of the Brians and Yagudin vs Plushenko were the historic greats - but for me, 2010 Vancouver was the most exciting because I was there to see it. I thought Johnny Weir was robbed by the judges, his FS was gorgeous - and the crowd agreed. There was thunderous booing when his scores were announced. Not sure if the program translated as well to the TV screen, but seeing it live at the event was very emotional. :drama:

Layback11

Record Breaker
This seemed like the most relevant place to ask this, so I'll ask: does anyone know if there are any full event videos of the 2014 Olympic skating events that work? (The NBC live extra ones no longer work.)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
This seemed like the most relevant place to ask this, so I'll ask: does anyone know if there are any full event videos of the 2014 Olympic skating events that work? (The NBC live extra ones no longer work.)

Google figure skating videos forum

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1992 was wonderful because the surprise silver medalist was Paul Wylie, with his Henry the 5th (I think) long program and wonderful La Valse in the short. He was so proud of his performances, and he should have been. He was so under the radar.

The best of all for me was 1988, without a doubt . I was in Cincinnati when Brian B lost his title to Brian O, so when he took GOLD in 88 I was ecstatic. I loved his program--both programs, in fact.

Then, the last exciting one for me was Evan in 2010. TO beat Plushy the way he did was a feat! And I loved his reaction to his win. He didn't expect it...was genuinely surprised. I also think Johnny Weir was also royally screwed in that competition. To drop to sixth was a slap in the face.

So there you have it. I'm sure these choices were no surprise to those who have read my posts.

The best competitions for me was 1988 and 2002 as I barely rememeber seeing 1976. Sentimentally my favorite was Paul Wylie - it was so satisfying for a long suffering fan.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Best - 2014 (Im anti Chan so:agree:):laugh:

Seriously 2002 obv choice. I was so torn but I was a more Plushy fan but Yags deserved (+ TAT!)!

worst - Lysacek win:palmf:

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
1988 Battle of the Brians. I was actually hosting a party at my place for members of a theater group I was part of (30+ people were there) the night of the FS, and I insisted on having the TV on so I could watch :laugh:
2002 was also good.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker

The Battle of the Brians and Yagudin vs Plushenko were the historic greats - but for me, 2010 Vancouver was the most exciting because I was there to see it. I thought Johnny Weir was robbed by the judges, his FS was gorgeous - and the crowd agreed. There was thunderous booing when his scores were announced. Not sure if the program translated as well to the TV screen, but seeing it live at the event was very emotional. :drama:

Johnny skated really well both short and long program. He finished 6th but in front of him was Chan, Lambiel and then the 3 medalists. I agree he really should have finished in front of Chan maybe Lambiel? but not even sure. He wasn't robbed of a medal though. Takahashi was very clearly superior.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Johnny skated really well both short and long program. He finished 6th but in front of him was Chan, Lambiel and then the 3 medalists. I agree he really should have finished in front of Chan maybe Lambiel? but not even sure. He wasn't robbed of a medal though. Takahashi was very clearly superior.

But didn't Weir, who either lacked grey matter or just refused to conform to COP, not do an extra jumping pass? I also remember he flubbed a spin. Since he was known to be a flake maybe the judges just didn't care to give him any benefit of the doubt. I do remember thinking Weir should have been higher because he was cleanish and Chan and Lambiel were messes, but they racked up more points.

Last edited:

asahi

Rinkside
Mine has to be in Sochi 2014, but that is only because it was the first competition I saw.

kwanette

Final Flight
For me, Battle of the Brians..I was a fan of both of them and would have been fine with either of the men winning. I do think BB deserved the win...and he was one of the most gracious Olympic winners that I have ever seen. Only podium..I can think of at the Oly where I was happy for the winner and quite sad for the silver medalist.