Your own personal season 2022-23 awards and nominations | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your own personal season 2022-23 awards and nominations

rabidline

Final Flight
Shoma for Best "The Power of Love" Effect- announced officially he's in a relationship with Marin Honda (yes, that Marin Honda) before the season starts, and then went undefeated the entire season. And he credited Marin openly for supporting him during his struggles at the post-competition press conference. The way he worded it too... how in the past there's always his family who supported him, but now there's also Marin- and his team (coach, trainer, manager). To be so openly appreciative of an unmarried partner is quite uncommon in Japan, even though recently there are male athletes who credit their wives for supporting them like at the World Baseball Series.

Last edited:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Can you ask the Tech Committee how much deduction the cat would get for a quadruplefooted quintuple?

I'm sorry, I'll get back on topic, I promise... But I just had to say it :slink:
You see, I was just about to go pull up the ISU technical handbook, and find the GOE deduction for a two footed landing, and then double it (because, 4 feet) but then I realized you said quintuple, so it wouldn’t work as those aren’t officially in the COP yet.…. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I know that this is pure coincidence but I opened this page and I realized that this can make a perfect nominee list in the category "kawaii of the season":

Shoma Uno dating Marin Honda
Ashlie Slatter & Atl Ongay-Perez
the cat (I don't know why but the cat must be included to prove that this is kawaii)

then I need to add Mao Shimada, and Minsol Kwon, and Bradie in her FS end pose, and...

Although I suspect that the cat will win anyway :rolleye:

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Jason Brown for just about anything on skates, the cat for not dropping his tail on that landing (I believe that would be a deduction much like putting your hand on the ice when landing a jump???) Frazier and Knierem for putting in a stellar freeskate after the emotional upheaval of their coach's medical situation, Shoma for the amazing progression of his skating since being with Stephane, Keegan for always being himself and that classic checked shirt, the absolutely gorgeous dresses on the Korean ladies (best ever) Bradie Tennell for coming back after 2 years and skating so well, Deanna Stellato-Dudek for her amazing longevity, Ilia Malinin and hope for the future, and a very well organized Worlds in Saitama. They really know how to do it. I also appreciated the fact that in all disciplines it wasn't a splat fest!!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I know that this is pure coincidence by I opened this page and I realized that this can make a perfect nominee list in the category "kawaii of the season":

Shoma Uno dating Marin Honda
Ashlie Slatter & Atl Ongay-Perez
the cat (I don't know why but the cat must be included to prove that this is kawaii)

then I need to add Mao Shimada, and Minsol Kwon, and Bradie in her FS end pose, and...

Although I suspect that the cat will win anyway :rolleye:
Are you familiar with Maru, a very … er…talented cat who happens to live in Japan?

So as not to derail this thread, I’ll post a link in “Animal Fun.” Maru LOVES boxes and has a few unusual jumping techniques for getting into them. :biggrin:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Can I nominate this for Best Thread of the Season/Year/Ever?

Also Ashlie and Atl for best newcomers (although I am biased, I think they deserve it).

And everybody else who hauled their backside onto a rink to compete. They all deserve serious kudos. It's a brutal sport as well as a beautiful one. (I've been skating today and now need a nap...)

CrazyKittenLady

Thanks for skating, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I'm giving some group awards:

1) To all of my favourite skaters, for bringing me so much joy (and the occasional tear to my eyes) this season; for giving their utmost, be it on the big international stage or skating just at home, and for always having the most beautiful programs. You're the best! 💙

2) To the posters at GoldenSkate, for providing such captivating discussions, insightful comments, and hilarious banter. And for going along with my silly cat jokes. :ghug:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I'm giving some group awards:

1) To all of my favourite skaters, for bringing me so much joy (and the occasional tear to my eyes) this season; for giving their utmost, be it on the big international stage or skating just at home, and for always having the most beautiful programs. You're the best! 💙

2) To the posters at GoldenSkate, for providing such captivating discussions, insightful comments, and hilarious banter. And for going along with my silly cat jokes. :ghug:
and to all the skaters who chose to wear your designs :biggrin: and let's not forget the cartwheels.

i want to give a shout out to all of the crazy people that keep me company in the live chat and i grew to consider as my skating family. watching figure skating wouldn't be the same without all of you. thank you for the laughters, the drinks, the jokes and the spelling lessons :wink:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would also nominate this forum and posters, lot's of fun this season. I in real life (yes, there is still some) nobody who is so interested and as also work very much on my own, I feel posters like friends.

Then to skating: To be able to watch live events in my country. I saw some of my favourites twice, Kevin A in top of them. Men's competition. Even though no WC or no Yuzuru's on Nathan's best WC score and Shoma himself have got more, I mean it overall. Even the meltdowns have not been so big than we have seen and there was only few. So many clean skates. And especially men's intrepretation. Most French have been good on in also in previous years and some individuals, but it has been so often that they only skate and jump and I skipped men because of this. They present today and I honestly say in WC men was my favourite this time. Finland - And also Czech - getting two spots both in worlds and Euros. My favourite season ever and I probably watched more than ever. It has nothing to do with skaters who wasn't there, it was just overall pleasure. I must skip WTT, have other things to do on that time so I ignore it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and to all the skaters who chose to wear your designs :biggrin: and let's not forget the cartwheels.

i want to give a shout out to all of the crazy people that keep me company in the live chat and i grew to consider as my skating family. watching figure skating wouldn't be the same without all of you. thank you for the laughters, the drinks, the jokes and the spelling lessons :wink:
don't forget the 🍍🍕 that we provide to you so generously :)

Magill

Record Breaker
Most remarkable going out from competitions - Yuzuru Hanyu
Most remarkable return to competitions - Jason Brown
Best programs combined (SP plus FS) - Junhwan Cha and Adam Siao Him Fa
Best combo - Kaori Sakamoto
Best closing pose - Shoma Uno
Innovation award - Yuzuru Hanyu and Kohei Uchimura for their joint "Conquest of Paradise"
Best sportsmanship award - Kaori Sakamoto for taking her time just after winning WC to find a Belgian flag for the bronze medallist
Best KC reaction - Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara
Best smile in the business - Mai Mihara
Valentine Day award - Shoma Uno and Marin Honda
Best coach - Stephane Lambiel (Special Award to him for reaching out to Shoma when he needed it the most and guiding him to double WC)
Best Team: Team Japan (in more ways than one)
MVP in competitions - Shoma Uno
MVP overall (in more ways than one, like size of audiences, revenues, media coverage, reaching out far, high and wide...) - Yuzuru Hanyu
And Special Award to Yuzuru for his courage and honesty it took to create The GIFT

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree with many of these awards. This thread is SO FUN!!! :biggrin:

I can't stay long, so this post will be short and sweet.

Most unexpected skater comeback, for me personally: Andrew Torgashev
Skaters I am newly a fan of: Andrew Torgashev, Sam Mindra, Kirk Haugeto, Annika Hocke/Robert Kunkel, Turkkila/Versluis, Valtter Virtanen, probably more I'm forgetting
Artistic Programs: Shoma Uno FS, Andrew Torgashev both, Andreas Nordeback SP, Jason Brown both, Sam Mindra SP, Turkkila/Versluis FD, Piper & Paul FD, Junwhan Cha both, but particularly FS
Fun Programs: Keegan Messing both
Best Audience: In Japan at Worlds
Best Group of Any Segment at Any Event: Final Group Men FS at Worlds

I will leave now, or I could be thinking of more awards and examples all day long! :laugh: What an intriguing season it was! :love: :cheer: and :thank: for all the skaters who brought it to us!

Last edited:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am going for Belinda Noonan and Mark Hanrety for the best two co-annoncers of figure skating broadcast.

I dont call them commentating couple because they are not couple at all.
But for the first time this was pretty good.

Belinda is so on the point with every camera catch of the event. Ok, I don't undestand her like 1/3 times because her Australian pronnounciation, but from all I understand it's hard to disagree with her. In depth knowledge of figure skating. You can see she knows all the details of top ISU events she never commentated that you understand she was passionate watcher. She knows her balance between proper admiratation and proper criticism.

Mark is so knowledgable of figure skating behind the scene and so prepared. She is also figure skating nerd with very on-the-point comments without need to excaberate any skater or thing that happened. But yeah, because of Scottish accent, I also don't undestand him all the time. But he is improving every competition .
Belinda Noonan commentated the 2014 Olympics, IIRC, and was pretty much solely responsible for getting me to understand skating as a newbie. I know she's not everyone's cup of tea, but I found her commentary tremendously helpful.

macy

Record Breaker
Jason Brown for just about anything on skates, the cat for not dropping his tail on that landing (I believe that would be a deduction much like putting your hand on the ice when landing a jump???) Frazier and Knierem for putting in a stellar freeskate after the emotional upheaval of their coach's medical situation, Shoma for the amazing progression of his skating since being with Stephane, Keegan for always being himself and that classic checked shirt, the absolutely gorgeous dresses on the Korean ladies (best ever) Bradie Tennell for coming back after 2 years and skating so well, Deanna Stellato-Dudek for her amazing longevity, Ilia Malinin and hope for the future, and a very well organized Worlds in Saitama. They really know how to do it. I also appreciated the fact that in all disciplines it wasn't a splat fest!!
you said everything i came here to say!

also want to add Loena and Kaori for learning how to deal with the brand new pressure of being a world medalist and world champion, something neither have faced in their careers until this season. they really had to find their groove again amongst new pressure and expectations and they both did really well.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
All of the above plus...

a "Grace Under Fire" award to Isabeau for staying focused and finishing her program so beautifully after she fell. That's a lot of true grit and determination for a 16-year old at her 1st Worlds! ❤️

to Mai Mihara, the "Cherry Blossom on Ice" award for her lovely performance at the gala, with special mention for the exquisite costume. She really was a cherry blossom come to life! 💗

Last edited:

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
Belinda Noonan commentated the 2014 Olympics, IIRC, and was pretty much solely responsible for getting me to understand skating as a newbie. I know she's not everyone's cup of tea, but I found her commentary tremendously helpful.
Great testimony! ;)
BTW, what is IIRC?