Your thoughts on Skate America | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Your thoughts on Skate America

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
I have a note on the scream level -
if you've ever been to a club competition, that's just how it is. It often can be a contest of "who gets the loudest screams". I, as a skater, enjoy hearing the high pitched screams for me. I know it can be annoying for the casual viewer, but that's part of skating competitions. I for one know if I ever get to see Ashley skate at a competition live, I WILL BE SCREAMING MY FREAKING FACE OFF. Because she is my favorite. And I'm a freak.

Most skaters LOVE hearing that kind of support.. and why not be enthusiastic in your own way? I think it brings life to the arena and when I view it on Icenetwork, it makes me happy to hear that people are SOOO darn excited to see their favorite skate. If you can't handle it, bring some earbuds! But please cheer with them! I promise you as a skater who competes, we all LOVE that kind of support. And it's a sporting event. They do the same thing with Hockey, Football, Soccer, etc. Why should figure skating be any different?

But anyway, that's just how figure skating competitions are, from the lowest levels all the way up to the big ones. Be happy people are that enthusiastic about a "dying" sport (in this country).

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was watching the SBS coverage of Skate America. They must have been using some different angles from IceNetwork, because the screams were even worse on the SBS one.

I mean, if they were at least screaming hideously like that for a good program, I could understand it. But they were screaming so hideously for Ashley and Adam's SPs!

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
I was watching the SBS coverage of Skate America. They must have been using some different angles from IceNetwork, because the screams were even worse on the SBS one.

I mean, if they were at least screaming hideously like that for a good program, I could understand it. But they were screaming so hideously for Ashley and Adam's SPs!

Annndddd what is wrong with that? They're great programs designed to create that kind of fun, loud energy..

I can't take your comment very seriously since you just so blatantly said that those programs are "not good" when that's just your opinion. They liked it and felt they were good, so they screamed!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Annndddd what is wrong with that? They're great programs designed to create that kind of fun, loud energy..

I can't take your comment very seriously since you just so blatantly said that those programs are "not good" when that's just your opinion. They liked it and felt they were good, so they screamed!

They're empty. Completely empty. There's nearly no transitions and no choreography. No, waggling your shoulders and your fingers and posing while winking sassily at the crowd is NOT choreography. They glide from jump to jump on two feet while sassing the crowd.

If Max showed up with a program like that, there'd be screaming all right - screaming of blue murder if he scored above 80. But somehow, because it's Ashley and Adam, the screaming is good?

I can't wait for the double standard at US Nationals where Adam's SP will doubtlessly be considered some kind of masterpiece while Max will have to dodge the flack and criticism thrown his way.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

Sounds about right, as memory serves... :rolleye:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Adam's SP is designed to get over the top screams from the fans. That's why it starts with all the attitude in the beginning. It's no different than Maria B's St James Infirmary program. You don't Shimmy and wink so that people will politely applaud. You do it so that people like me will scream, "Work It!!" I can't even say half the stuff I screamed at Maria when she winked at the judges, who I happened to be sitting very close to. It was awesome. Remember Plushy's "Hip Roll" in his Bolero SP. That was designed to get a reaction and DEFINITELY worked...:love:

Another Russian who speaks very good English. Plushy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQo4mLyGsNE

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Most skaters LOVE hearing that kind of support.. and why not be enthusiastic in your own way?
Why not?! Did you even read this thread?

Because one or two selfish and inconsiderate people should not be allowed to annoy and spoil the night, for a whole arena full of people (or the TV and internet audiences). People paid good money to enjoy the skating, not to listen to screamers.

It may even be physically painful or damaging to people directly in front of them or near by.

But anyway, that's just how figure skating competitions are, from the lowest levels all the way up to the big ones. Be happy people are that enthusiastic about a "dying" sport (in this country).
No. That is NOT "just how figure skating competitions are".

Maybe it is more common in America. I have been to a lot of competitions, only one of which was in America - and I have found that kind of behaviour to be very rare. In fact, the only time I have experienced it first hand was... the one time I went to Skate America.

It makes me think twice about ever going to another Skate America. Perhaps I'm not the only one, and it's a factor contributing to the low SA attendances, these days...

As I said before, most people are able to cheer and show their appreciation and support without screaming so intrusively and disruptively. Put it another way, they are able to behave like adults, and show some consideration for others.

PS. How are you qualified to speak for "most skaters"? I would be amazed if there aren't some skaters who are distracted by somebody screaming just before they begin their performance.

Last edited: