Yu-Na Kim: Are all her problems at bay? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Are all her problems at bay?

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
pyeongchang got excellent reviews from the IOC.. so the 2014 olympics may be in south korea.. i just hope that kmi changes her mind on retiring after 2010 and make another run for the 2014 olympics. i know it's still too far ahead, but i just can't help myself from counting down the number of competitve programs she will put out before she "supposedly" will retire

I totally agree!!!
I think if she stays healthy and injury-free, there's a possibility that she will go to the 2014 Olympics. Last year she reported to the Korean skating federation that she wanted to quit skating because of the severe pain, and somehow they talked her out of it and made her stay until the Grand Prix series.

After winning the Grand Prix final, she said to the Korean Media that it seems like skating is her destiny because even the time when everything goes wrong for her, it seems she's getting a great achievements!!!:laugh::laugh: and everytime she was away from the rink, she wanted to skate so much!!

So I think it won't be easy for her to retire at a relatively young age with that huge talent.
She's such a humble, sweet person but there's always been a strong competitive spirit inside her.

I'm crossing my fingers for Yuna.

oleada

Record Breaker
If "injury" is the cause, she can never fix that problem.
Her jumping technique requires much speed for the jump entrances, and her laborius skating is very stamina consuming. As a result, she usually loses speed in the latter half of FS and it leads to repeated mistakes.

You might not like Yu-Na but at least admit that her jumping technique is excellent. Her jumps are absolutely textbook -that's why she gets such high GOEs for them.

feraina

Record Breaker
I agree with both of you, that her jumps (especially the 3/3) is absolutely gorgeous (what amazing height and flow!), and that her skating in general is dramatic/enjoyable (this part may be subjective) but does seem to be energy-draining. Since she's working hard on her physical conditioning over the summer, hopefully by next season she'll have really improved on her stamina/fitness.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I am not sure about Yu-na's technique being the textbook case. She does lip and doesn't have a triple loop or axel. Her lutz seems shaky with a forward lean as well. Her lack of triples will hamper her career at some point. I must admit that she has developed her presentation over the last two years, however, she hasn't made any improvements in jumps. Just compare her elements in her junior programs back in 2005/2006 and her senior programs in 2006/2007. It is the same old, same old story.

She is one of the most overrated skaters in women's skating IMHO. I just don't get why she is considered a rival of Mao Asada.

Metapour

Spectator
I am not sure about Yu-na's technique being the textbook case. She does lip and doesn't have a triple loop or axel. Her lutz seems shaky with a forward lean as well. Her lack of triples will hamper her career at some point. I must admit that she has developed her presentation over the last two years, however, she hasn't made any improvements in jumps. Just compare her elements in her junior programs back in 2005/2006 and her senior programs in 2006/2007. It is the same old, same old story.

She is one of the most overrated skaters in women's skating IMHO. I just don't get why she is considered a rival of Mao Asada.

I am very hesitant to get into this again. I think this has been resolved for once and for all, but apparently it has not. I will tell you Yu-na Kim simply does not lip, and in fact she has the best flip among all the women currently in competition. Here is why:

I posted several articles in response to the thread concerning the recent ISU rule changes in this site regarding Flip and Lip, some of which are obviously intended to crack down the illegal jumps such as Flutz and Lip. If some of you are interested in finding out what went on this site, please take a look at them at (http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...t=16562&page=8 ).

The definition of Lip refers to an improperly executed Flip where an inside take-off edge is mistakenly changed to an outside edge, making it somewhat Lutz. Flip is one of the easiest jumps in figure skating, and so skaters are expected to properly execute it. Apparently they do not for some reason.

Skaters use two entries for Flip. One is LFO-3 and the other is Mohawk entry. LFO-3 is an entry where the skater tracks a curve with a slight (shallow) inside edge to get to the position to take off, and most skaters probably try to use this entry. Also, most coaches probably teach LFO-3 entry first until the skater is found to be incapable of executing it before they switch to Mohawk because LFO-3 entry maximizes the reaction force off the ice, and also is better looking. The reaction force is created when the skater exerts a force on the ice, and that reaction force is used to take off from the ice.

In a properly executed LFO-3, it is impossible to lip because the pivot (axis) leg is the skater’s right leg for a counter-clockwise rotation, and the left leg tracks a curve to get to the point where the skater can take off. Also, in figure skating mechanics’ point of view, the smaller the angle between the inside take-off edge and the imaginary vertical line drawn from the ice, the better (It has to do with cos x, where x is the aforementioned angle in trigonometry)

With that said, Yu-na has the best Flip among all the women currently in competition. She uses the classic LFO-3 entry that forces her to use a slight inside edge as expected, and she is optimizing her left foot position with respect to the ice to create a maximum reaction force off the ice by making the angle as small as possible.

The following is a YouTube that shows LFO-3 entry for Yu-na's Flip and obviously some Lips by other skaters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSrJx1XR1IE

Last edited:

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yu-Na's toe jumps are perfection. Her 2Axel got better this season as well and is now one of the best out there. She just needs to try and get that 3Loop under control.

~Z

guru

Rinkside
Yuna brings her 3 loop back in the next season. so now she's got 5 triples.
And FUMIE, I want you to know that her jump videos were used as textbooks in the international judge's seminar last year.
All these are from the Yuna side. reliable infos.:)

Last edited:

satorare

Match Penalty
Kim's 3Lo is nothing more than Lambiel's 3A. The difference is Kim doesn't have Lambiel's courage. Let's see how the battle turns out between three 2As and two 3As.

Really great "rivalry" isn't it? ..LOL

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
:sheesh:

I won't touch the courage issue.

But come on. Kim is hardly a slouch when it comes to jumps. She has a very solid triple-triple, great technique and gets very high GOEs for all her jumps. She has a problem with the loop - all skaters have jumps which are more difficult to them and jumps which come more naturally (like Mao and her salchow. You seem like a huge fan of Mao, I'm sure you are aware of this). If Yu-Na is going to work and include it again, that's fabulous. But it's not necessary to tear down one skater so you can praise your favorite.

They are both very good skaters and good jumpers, with different strengths each. We'll see if they both include the jump content they're promising now next season.

satorare

Match Penalty
Skaters with three 2A's in FS at 2006-2007 ISU competitions

Skate America..Cantu
Skate Canada..Yuna Kim
Eric Bompard..Yuna Kim
GP Final..Yuna Kim(all solo 2As!)
Europeans..Glebova(two 2A+3T's)
Four Continents..Nayoung Kim, Shin, DiTomasso
Worlds..Yuna Kim, Glebova(two 2A+3T's)

Jr Worlds..Shin, Choi, Frank, Glebova(two 2A+3T's)
other junior competitions are not checked

satorare

Match Penalty
Yes, Mathman
Meissner, Ando, and Mao Asada have the pride as senior skaters.
It's an advantage of a JUNIOR who has nothing to lose but the prize money. She is making a new "tradition" for Koreans.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Final Flight
Concrete measures are in moderators' hands

Posters are all responsible for keeping minimum discipline namely common sense, am I wrong?

Etiquette & Guidelines
http://www.goldenskate.com/guidelines.shtml

...... The forum was created in order to provide a fun, relaxing, and yet informative environment for skating-related posts.
Everyone is welcome to post, however, please do so responsibly ...

...... Violations consist of but are not limited to:
Bashing
Slander
Vulgar and/or offensive language; profanity
Posts that support or espouse hatred towards another individual or group based upon any criteria ...

...... Bashing also means excessively and/or persistently posting negative things (true or untrue) pertaining to skaters, ...

...... While it's 'ok' to disagree, joke, and comment, it is not acceptable to insult a skater because you don't like him/her. ...

...... Do NOT respond to the post in question. ..... use the link located within a post to report the issue to the forum leaders (moderators).

Metapour

Spectator
I will tell you that some folks are working overtime to test people's limit of restraint. I have seen enough of Mao's videos now that I could post some articles about her jumps if this continues unabashed, and that won't be pretty.

Rocket Scientist

satorare

Match Penalty
Metapour , it's ok to write anything you like.
But you must write from your own knowledges and insights, not some translations from Korean sites.

Wrlmy

Medalist
This might seem like a terribly obvious question, but Satorare, do you hate Yu-na Kim? If so, why? I am genuinely curious because you have obsessively posted on almost every Yu-na related thread.

kandidy

Final Flight
:sheesh:

I won't touch the courage issue.

But come on. Kim is hardly a slouch when it comes to jumps. She has a very solid triple-triple, great technique and gets very high GOEs for all her jumps. She has a problem with the loop - all skaters have jumps which are more difficult to them and jumps which come more naturally (like Mao and her salchow. You seem like a huge fan of Mao, I'm sure you are aware of this). If Yu-Na is going to work and include it again, that's fabulous. But it's not necessary to tear down one skater so you can praise your favorite.

They are both very good skaters and good jumpers, with different strengths each. We'll see if they both include the jump content they're promising now next season.

:thumbsup:hands up!

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Wow, I want to slap just about everyone in here. Stop whining and posting that this person should be ignored and/or reported to moderators - DEBATE them. Moderators are around to delete things that are racist, grossly offensive, etc...not strongly opinionated posts that simply frustrate you because of disagreement.

As for the actual debate:

Skaters with three 2A's in FS at 2006-2007 ISU competitions:

Blah blah blah, I don't know what I'm talking about

You have no point. Yeah, it would be better if Yu-Na did a 3Loop in place of a 2Axel, but her program with 3 double axels is harder than a LOT of other programs. Look at a typical woman's program that includes all of the different Triples and just one double axle, but no Triple/Triple or 2Axle/Triple jumping passes:

3Lutz/2toe/2loop
3Flip/2toe
3Loop
-----
3Lutz
3Sal
3Toe/2toe
2Axel

Total points: 42.9 (and that's WITH a bonus point thrown in, going along with the idea that skaters who present all of the different triples should get a bonus)

Yu-Na's program:

3Flip/3Toe
2Axel/3Toe
3Lutz
------
2Axel
3Lutz/2toe/2loop
3Sal
2Axel

Total points: 45.2 (it's worth MORE, *gasp*)

Another theoretical program with 3 double axels:

2Axel/3Loop
3Flip/3Toe/3Loop
2Axel
----------
3Lutz/2loop
3Sal
2Axel
3Lutz

Total points: 52.1 (which is a tenth of a point better than Mao Asada's program from this past season...IF Mao's Lutzes were actually Lutzes and not Flutzes, otherwise this program is worth that much more)

So, Mr. Satorare, your thoughts on this subject are incorrect. Having 3 double axels in your program is not necessarily such a horrible thing.

EDIT: Btw, those calculations take into account the 2Axel being worth 3.5 points, rather than 3.3, and the value of the Loop jump being reversed with the value of the Flip (since it is generally agreed that the Loop is harder).

~Z

Last edited: