Yu-Na Kim or Kim Yu-Na? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim or Kim Yu-Na?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Of course, Paul Wylie has known Chen xiao jie personally for years, so they are on a first-name basis. Or do I mean a last-name basis? :scratch:

Patrick CHAN asked this? That strikes me as funny, for some reason. North America is truly a melting pot. :yes:

man-math,
That is why they started calling her "Lu-Lu" as the name is the same frontwards and backwards :yes:

And in Asia, would North America be called a "pot-melting"

fan-janet

prettykeys

Medalist
(By the way, Adam Rippon (who's also coached by Orser) asks Yuna how to say "I love you" in Korean. Maybe he would like to say that to her one day. I think he might have a crush on her.)
Awwww!!!

http://www.reuters.com/resources/r/...r=2009-04-23T080002Z_01_GOY01_RTRIDSP_0_KOREA

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/img_dir/2009/08/12/2009081200435_0.jpg

Well, gee, who can blame him. Even I have a crush on her...well, not in that way, but you know. ^________^

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wouldn't surprise me if that was true... ;)

a good amount of guys seem to have a crush on her.

silverlining

Rinkside
Wouldn't surprise me if that was true... ;)

a good amount of guys seem to have a crush on her.

And I heard that there was a thunderous collective sigh of relief from protective Yu-Na fans in Korea when they first learned of the sexual orientation of Brian Orser and David Wilson.

ps. It really doesn't take very long for us to digress from the forum topic, does it?

Last edited:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Here is how to remember, in song.

Ta-ra-ra-BOOM-de-ay,
Suguri FOO-mee-ay! ♫♪

Good one!

Seriously, as long as the 'locals' show a bit of sensitivity and the 'foreigners' are not too smug about their ways, it's all good!

prettykeys

Medalist
And I heard that there was a thunderous collective sigh of relief from protective Yu-Na fans in Korea when they first learned of the sexual orientation of Brian Orser and David Wilson.
I wasn't just relieved, I was extra happy. I think it made them even more ideal to be coaching and guiding YuNa; I don't think it's just any coincidence how intelligently they have been nurturing and supporting her.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
please remember that if you find something objectionable the best way to handle it is bring it to the mods attention, don't take it upon yourself to say/do something :)

chaerae

Spectator
Last edited:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I wasn't just relieved, I was extra happy. I think it made them even more ideal to be coaching and guiding YuNa; I don't think it's just any coincidence how intelligently they have been nurturing and supporting her.

Seeing clips of Orser and Kim / Wilson and Kim together it's pretty convincing to assume their team works so well. They seem to be having so much fun.

SusieH

On the Ice
Patrick CHAN asked this? That strikes me as funny, for some reason. North America is truly a melting pot. :yes:

Yeah, that's actually very weird since he himself has a Chinese name: Chan Wai-Kuan in Cantonese pronunciation (Chen Weiqun in Mandarin Chinese pronunciation). Some of my friends like to call him Xiao Wei (little/cutey Wei). But I know a lot of mainland Chinese fans nickname him "apron" since in Chinese "apron" is also pronounced as "Weiqun" (different tone, same spelling). I don't know if he knows it. But just in case he knows, I hope he understands it's a nickname of love. :)

So, maybe he was just trying to find a topic to talk to her? ;) But I think Patrick Chan has known Yuna for a very long time. I once saw a picture with many young skaters standing together, probably after a competition. Patrick and Yuna are in that picture. I think both of them are like 13 or 14. BTW, if I remember correctly, Evan is also in that picture. I hope I have it at hand so I can show it. I like that picture. :)

ETA: Wait, wait, I'm thinking very hard here, and I'm not so sure if Patrick is the one in the picture. My memory has become so bad. An early symptom of aging, I guess ;) But I do believe young Evan and young Yuna are in it.

Last edited:

Phil Cohen

Rinkside
I think this question has been answered a billion times already :p but let me put this issue to rest, in Korean as with other east Asian languages i.e. Chinese, Japanese it is convention to say the family name first followed by the "first" name, hence Kim Yu-na. The media of course is generally ignorant of these sort of things and will just say the name they see on paper.. so if they see a form that says "First Name: Yuna; Last Name: Kim" more likely than not they will just say "Yu-na Kim" So I guess if you want to be culturally sensitive you would say "Kim Yu-na".

And it is worth noting that "Kim" is one of the two most common surnames in Korea(the other being "Lee")

cosmos

On the Ice
Yeah, that's actually very weird since he himself has a Chinese name: Chan Wai-Kuan in Cantonese pronunciation (Chen Weiqun in Mandarin Chinese pronunciation). Some of my friends like to call him Xiao Wei (little/cutey Wei). But I know a lot of mainland Chinese fans nickname him "apron" since in Chinese "apron" is also pronounced as "Weiqun" (different tone, same spelling). I don't know if he knows it. But just in case he knows, I hope he understands it's a nickname of love. :)

So, maybe he was just trying to find a topic to talk to her? ;) But I think Patrick Chan has known Yuna for a very long time. I once saw a picture with many young skaters standing together, probably after a competition. Patrick and Yuna are in that picture. I think both of them are like 13 or 14. BTW, if I remember correctly, Evan is also in that picture. I hope I have it at hand so I can show it. I like that picture. :)

ETA: Wait, wait, I'm thinking very hard here, and I'm not so sure if Patrick is the one in the picture. My memory has become so bad. An early symptom of aging, I guess ;) But I do believe young Evan and young Yuna are in it.

This one?

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt315/ttyy0403/020421-1.jpg

SusieH

On the Ice

Oh, that picture! :) I remember seeing that. And yeah, very possibly, very possibly this is the picture I talked about, but there seems to be another one with a lot of soon-to-be-famous young skaters in it... But I'm not sure. My memory is hopelessly lousy, so very possibly this is the one. Thank you very much for posting it :)

Do you by any chance happen to have some other pictures with young Yuna and other soon-to-be-famous young skaters? I'd really love to see them.

So all this time I had the illusion that Patrick and Yuna have known each other for a very long time? :confused:

John King

Final Flight
It depends on your location. In certain Oriental nations, it is customary to address someone by the family name first. So when she's in Korea, she prefers to be called Kim YuNa. But when she is in America, she prefers to be called Ro Laren.....I mean YuNa Kim.

silverlining

Rinkside
I thought I'd share this with you guys in relation to Yu-Na's name.
It's a post by Joesitz written after 2006 TEB SP, which was just Yu-Na's second senior competition, so obviously not many of us knew who she was back then. (Kimmie, Miki and Joannie were also there.)

Joesitz said:
Kimmie has her work cut out. She'll need at least a bronze to make the Finals.

Miki is not far behind Ya Nu.

And Rochette must make the bronze to ensure her GPF.

Joe

Joesitz, I don't know who you are, but I just hope that you've become a fan of hers by now. :yes:
Yeah, the skater you used to call Ya Nu. :rofl:

It's in the archive so I can't direct you to the exact post, but you can check it out here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14654