Yugudin's Olympic picks | Golden Skate

Yugudin's Olympic picks

In "Alexei's Corner," a recurring feature in Spotlight on Skating magazine, Yags makes his predictions for Torino.

Men: Plushenko, Lambiel, Joubert.

"Whoever wins will definitely need to do a quad. That is why Jeff Buttle is not on my list."

Ladies: Slutskaya, Cohen, Arakawa or Ando.

"I don't think there is really much of a question here from the way the judges have been scoring Irina this season. She is beating the other girls by 20, 25 points...[This was written before the GP finals.] She is getting high technical scores..., plus the judges are giving her program component scores in the eights.

"Sasha is a very beautiful skater, but to win the Olympics she will need to be absolutely clean and perfect, and she usually is not. That will be all the reason the judges will need to award the gold to Irina.

"I do wish Michelle Kwan would do well, because she has done so much for our sport, but she hasn't really skated under the New Judging System too much. I don't think she can just show up and do it in Turin; the system is too complicated."

Pairs: Totmianina & Marinen, Zhang & Zhang, Pang & Tong

Dance: Navka & Kostamorov, Grushina & Goncharov, Deloel & Schoenfelder [written before Tanith belbin got her U.S. citizenship]

"If (Belbin & Agosto) do go to Turin, then I think they will be on the podium in second or third place."

Last edited:
Nothing special about his predictions. He's got the 4 golds going to Russia and who hasn't?

I do like his soft explanations. Nothing bitchy or caustic here. Bravo to Yags.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Sasha is a very beautiful skater, but to win the Olympics she will need to be absolutely clean and perfect, and she usually is not. That will be all the reason the judges will need to award the gold to Irina.
Well, I think Alexei needs to be slapped around a few times. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Dee I volunteer to hold him if you'll do the slapping...maybe with a silk whip?:cool: ;) :p :p

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Piel said:
Dee I volunteer to hold him if you'll do the slapping...maybe with a silk whip?:cool: ;) :p :p
oooooh Piel, I like the way you think. :clap: :clap:

Dee

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
I agree with Alexei's predictions in both the women's and men's except that I think it is possible Buttle or Weir may be able to edge Joubert out for bronze, unless he has made some big leap in presentation which I am not aware of. In the ladies, being a die-hard MK fan, I would consider her a bronze medal contender as well. I'm not familiar with the pairs and dance events.

ceg15

On the Ice
I really love and respect Alexei and I agree with most of his predictions, but...I would like to see Michelle on the podium...and I'm 90% sure she will be. And, what if Jeff Buttle does land the quad?

rain

Record Breaker
I agree with him on some things, but not all.
After watching the men all season, I don't necessarily think all the podium placements will go to guys with quads. Somebody like Buttle can sneak in there without one due to the huge scores he gets on everything else, not to mention the inevitable Olympic meltdown of at least one or two of the skaters (happens every time). I think putting Joubert on the podium is pretty optimistic given the way he's been skating lately. He hasn't had a good last couple of years - not since he won that silver at worlds.
Also, in pairs, he must have made his predictions before S/Z of China were expected to be there. I'd say they'll likely be on the podium if they're anywhere close to healthy.
And in dance, putting Delobel and Schoenfelder in third....I haven't seen anything in the judging this season to back up that opinion. In fact, the judges seem to be lowballing them, if anything. N/K are a given and it's looking more and more like G/G are being rapidly promoted.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Delobel / Schoenfelder never skate well in the early season. They build their performances as they go along. They have said they may not continue to compete past 2006, so they will be pushing hard to medal at Torino and/or Worlds. They cannot be eliminated as a medal contender.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
His predictions are pretty much due to past results and rightly so to some extent. Let's not forget that the Olympics can make even seasoned champions, Michelle, Plushy, Irina, Nancy, Janet, Brian O., Tonya, Kurt, (oh the list is endless) buckle under pressure and not skate up to their potential...........42

S

SkateFan4Life

Alexi's predictions aren't exactly earth-shattering news, as many of us have picked many of the same combinations for the Olympic medals.

I would have to add Michelle Kwan, Jeffrey Buttle, and Johnny Weir as medal contenders.

Nothing is carved in stone, however. The ice is a slippery surface, and anything can happen out there. There could be illnesses and/or injuries (UGH) that might prevent the top skaters from performing at his/her/their best. And, the best skaters might go out there and make several major mistakes that could permit other skaters to medal and/or to win.

My wish is for all of the skaters to skate at the top of his/her/their ability. That's the best kind of competition.

May the best skaters medal and win!

rain

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Delobel / Schoenfelder never skate well in the early season. They build their performances as they go along. They have said they may not continue to compete past 2006, so they will be pushing hard to medal at Torino and/or Worlds. They cannot be eliminated as a medal contender.

I really hope you're right, as their FD at worlds last year was the absolute dance highlight for me. I'm just saying....in dance more than any other discipline, where you are placed by the judges at the beginning of the season is where you tend to be placed by the end of the season, no matter how you improve as it goes along.

heyang

Record Breaker
Joubert on the podium seems like a bit of a stretch. He was the favorite when Plushenko had to withdraw last year and he just had an utter meltdown. Did he skate Grand Prix's this year? I wasn't paying much attention.

Otherwise, no real surprises in Yag's predictions based upon when they were written.

nubka

Final Flight
Mathman said:

Hmmm...I've been a big fan of Irina's for years, but "absolutely clean and perfect" aren't words that I would would to describe her skating, either, Yags...

Laura_B

Rinkside
I definitely do not think we'll see Joubert on the podium...he hasn't been doing so well this season or last, and hasn't been getting the results he used to. I think the olympic podium for mens will be a lot like the one for last years worlds, just with Plushenko. IMO, of course :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
He also forgot to mention Canada's darkhorse in dance: D&L - they could very well be on the podium as well. Belbin and Agusto have not been skating much this year - who knows if they are ready?

I don't think it is written in stone who will win what. Alexi should know anything can happen.

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
He also forgot to mention Canada's darkhorse in dance: D&L - they could very well be on the podium as well. .
Maybe he doesn't think they'll medal. He's not obligated to list every skater that his a remote possibility of a medal.

rain

Record Breaker
Eeyora said:
Ando?.........

I must concur with what I assume is your skepticism about this particular pick. Nothing she's done this year would seem to suggest she'd be a serious podium threat at the Olympics.

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
Well Yagudin did go to Japanese Nationals,maybe she did better there than she has other places this season.