Yuna Kim | Page 241 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I really liked Kiss of the Vampire too! It's a pity she only performed it once. I think people don't like it because she looks really detached, but I guess that was the point: in the program she is cold, unapproachable and regal, just like a vampire.

She performed it three times, at NRW Trophy, Korean Nationals and at Worlds. Her Giselle SP is the one which she performed only once at a competition, after she didn't compete at GP events in 2010, she didn't go to Nationals or any other minor international competitions.

sarama

Medalist
She performed it three times, at NRW Trophy, Korean Nationals and at Worlds. Her Giselle SP is the one which she performed only once at a competition, after she didn't compete at GP events in 2010, she didn't go to Nationals or any other minor international competitions.

You are right! It's just that not seeing her in the GPs, sometimes make me forget that she skated in other competitions that season:hslap:

narcissa

Record Breaker
I really liked Kiss of the Vampire too! It's a pity she only performed it once. I think people don't like it because she looks really detached, but I guess that was the point: in the program she is cold, unapproachable and regal, just like a vampire.

Heh, I thought she was supposed to be the victim of said vampire though? That's what the red V on her back symbolized ;)

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Yes, Yuna was the victim in that program. This picture shows very well how she was bitten by the bad vampire and she tries to stop the bleeding with her hands. The only normal camera angle which shows this particular moment was at Korean Nationals.
I think that the costume went perfectly together with the theme. The bloody neck, the blood drops on the chest and the big V on her back are all looked all so good :biggrin:

sarama

Medalist
Good to learn something new! Anyway in my mind the dress still made sense, I always thought that was the blood dripping from her fangs.

RABID

Final Flight

I didn't want to bring it up in the "overrated iconic" thread but I think Kiss is indeed the best example of an underrated piece. For the only time a choreography made me think of skate edges as something dangerous and ominous. It was very frenetic piece of choreography but it fit and held together like some kind of modern dance performance. I suppose we should be glad that it lives on through Youtube but I think even the experts and educated don't really give this piece its proper due. Who knows, maybe in ten years time people will think differently about it after all it is still Yuna Kim doing it. :bow:

narcissa

Record Breaker
A little sad that Yuna is only the 3rd most popular skater on Golden Skate when you look at views :laugh: Yeah I know she mostly skated in the 2006-2010 quad before Golden Skate existed/was popular, but the queen deserves more love :hap10:

Actually, it's a testament to her popularity that she's so popular on here despite being long retired :agree: Also I've noticed Yuna is one of only a few retired skaters (along with Plushenko, occasionally, but he does more stuff that is relevant to skating?) whose fan fest consistently stays around the front page despite being...retired :sad21:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
A little sad that Yuna is only the 3rd most popular skater on Golden Skate when you look at views [emoji23] Yeah I know she mostly skated in the 2006-2010 quad before Golden Skate existed/was popular, but the queen deserves more love :hap10:

Actually, it's a testament to her popularity that she's so popular on here despite being long retired :agree: Also I've noticed Yuna is one of only a few retired skaters (along with Plushenko, occasionally, but he does more stuff that is relevant to skating?) whose fan fest consistently stays around the front page despite being...retired :sad21:

:console:

She is only the 6th most popular or so....Ilinykh/Zhigansin, Voloshozar/Trankov, Lipnitskaya have all more views than Yuna :sad21: It's a tie between Yuna and Chan atm, but Yuna is leading by some 2000 views or so.
I am sure if GS had been more popular before 2010 then she would be easily 2nd now, only after Yuzuru of course;).

I try to contribute as much as possible and keep this thread alive. Yuna will have lots of engagements before PyeongChang, and of course during it too, so I am sure there will be lots of news, videos, pictures etc about her. :)
But who knows after PC. I don't know if she wants to lead a low-key lifestyle, and work something with her degree, or wants to train kids/help the Korean youngsters. Or, maybe if she misses skating a lot, then doing a couple of shows.

Last edited: