Yuna Kim | Page 242 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

lappo

Final Flight
You are not alone :console:

Definitely not! It's really a pity that she doesn't skate anymore in shows, her Nessun Dorma is one of my favourite exhibitions ever and I really wonder how many beautiful routines are we missing...it would have been a joy for us fans if she had an Arakawa-like post retirement career (actually I liked Arakawa but never really warmed to her during her competitive days - unlike Yuna- she really grew on me post Torino).

jaylee

Medalist
Definitely not! It's really a pity that she doesn't skate anymore in shows, her Nessun Dorma is one of my favourite exhibitions ever and I really wonder how many beautiful routines are we missing...it would have been a joy for us fans if she had an Arakawa-like post retirement career (actually I liked Arakawa but never really warmed to her during her competitive days - unlike Yuna- she really grew on me post Torino).

I have no inside information, but I think Yu-Na needed a nice break from skating, to the extent that she didn't even want/need to do exhibition skating--for the time being. She wanted to continue her education, eat whatever she wanted, and she had tons of opportunities including promoting the 2018 Olympics (and supporting her little Korean skaters).

I'm hoping that after the Olympics, she'll return to doing exhibitions and shows. My suspicion is that she soooo desperately needed a break and was soooo afraid that people would pressure her to return (AGAIN) that she didn't even want to do shows anymore, because fans would STILL pressure her to compete at Pyeongchang, which is the last thing in the world that she wanted. Once Pyeongchang is over, she can return to skating galas with zero pressure. Post Olympics is the best time to skate in shows, because interest in skating is at a peak all around the world.

So, it's never too late! Heck, Irina Slutskaya and Kimmie Meissner are still skating in the occasional gala. With all due respect to them, I'd pay more to see Yu-Na skate any day.

Interestingly enough, Michelle Kwan never had a post-retirement show career. She skated in plenty of tours while she was competing, but once she was done with competing, she did not skate in shows (Yu-Na's shows being the rare exception), and pursued other opportunities. I'm hoping Yu-Na will turn out to be different but we'll see...

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Retiring is a good thing for her in the end, had she continued skating competitions, the pressure to maintain her dominance would have been huge as there's always new and upcoming skaters coming along each season. Yuna left the sport as one of the greatest, not many can claim a competitive career as never finishing less than 3rd :)

breadstal

Record Breaker
This is honestly epic that she ALWAYS was on podium, I'm pretty sure she's the only skater to do that. Or that in every senior competition she won either short or free, mainly both :drama: It would be great to see her skate in galas/ shows but I don't think she wants to and we have to deal with that, she gave us a lot in her career and now she just should focus on what she wants :luv17:

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I have no inside information, but I think Yu-Na needed a nice break from skating, to the extent that she didn't even want/need to do exhibition skating--for the time being. She wanted to continue her education, eat whatever she wanted, and she had tons of opportunities including promoting the 2018 Olympics (and supporting her little Korean skaters).

I'm hoping that after the Olympics, she'll return to doing exhibitions and shows. My suspicion is that she soooo desperately needed a break and was soooo afraid that people would pressure her to return (AGAIN) that she didn't even want to do shows anymore, because fans would STILL pressure her to compete at Pyeongchang, which is the last thing in the world that she wanted. Once Pyeongchang is over, she can return to skating galas with zero pressure. Post Olympics is the best time to skate in shows, because interest in skating is at a peak all around the world.

So, it's never too late! Heck, Irina Slutskaya and Kimmie Meissner are still skating in the occasional gala. With all due respect to them, I'd pay more to see Yu-Na skate any day.

Interestingly enough, Michelle Kwan never had a post-retirement show career. She skated in plenty of tours while she was competing, but once she was done with competing, she did not skate in shows (Yu-Na's shows being the rare exception), and pursued other opportunities. I'm hoping Yu-Na will turn out to be different but we'll see...

Agree. But still hoping she would skate an exhibition in Pyeongchang aside from just appearing as a speaker or a torch bearer. I'd love to see Yuna skate live. And if she will have skating shows in the future, I would totally pay to be there.

We have a deep field of talented skaters who can land jumps like it's no one's business but none has impressed and touched me the way Yuna did with her skating. She has magic no one has. She has the perfect mix of athleticism and artistry, power and grace. For some reason, I sometimes enjoy watching her practice videos more than the actual competition performance. There's just something admirable when you see her raw skating, in training clothes and all.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Yuna at the "Agreement on Integrated Water Resources Management Project" event (as translated by google), for hosting an environment friendly PyeongChang Olympic Games.
She is dressed in blue from head to toe :love:

Pictures 1, 2, 3, 4
Video 1, 2

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight
Thanks for the pictures, she is really a beauty! A question for fellow Yuna fans: are there skaters who perform a Yuna camel? I saw that Jun has one in LP, but I cannot remember of any other (a pity IMO, I would like to see more spin variations...).

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Thanks for the pictures, she is really a beauty! A question for fellow Yuna fans: are there skaters who perform a Yuna camel? I saw that Jun has one in LP, but I cannot remember of any other (a pity IMO, I would like to see more spin variations...).

Elizabet Tursynbaeva does it, her leg isnt as bent as Yuna's but i still like it :biggrin:
and Yuna is rocking that suit :love::luv17: