Yuna Kim | Page 235 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

narcissa

Record Breaker
Homage to Korea was a gorgeous program, and I loved Giselle too. She matured a lot in that year, but overall her situation broke my heart too. Seeing her on the podium crying hard was really hard to bear...

Giselle and Homage to Korea are my all time favorite Yuna programs. Send in the Clowns is also another all-time favorite. Pre-Vancouver Yuna was a joy to watch (and Danse Macabre and Tango de Roxanne are other favorites of mine). No one came close to her polish and projection on the ice, but there just wasn't that...emotional, almost cinematic depth to her skating as post-vancouver Yuna. It's like comparing a Disney Channel original movie to something like the Titanic. Not that Disney Channel movies are bad; in fact I enjoyed so many of them in my youth :biggrin: but something about her skating after 2010 she just seemed more mature, and more epic/timeless storytelling.

It's a bittersweet feeling because her most beautiful programs came after Vancouver, and when I rewatch them (as I used to almost daily/now I've been watching replays of my other favorite skater *looks at my avatar* but I'll admit artistically he can't touch Yuna) her skating has brought a lot of joy and beauty to my life. But it's tempered by the dark cloud of whether she was happy being there, or just doing it because of the immense pressure that was put on her. It's hard for me to watch her after her skates end, because you can tell from her reaction and her facial expressions, even when she skates well, that joy of skating is not there anymore.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Giselle and Homage to Korea are my all time favorite Yuna programs. Send in the Clowns is also another all-time favorite. Pre-Vancouver Yuna was a joy to watch (and Danse Macabre and Tango de Roxanne are other favorites of mine). No one came close to her polish and projection on the ice, but there just wasn't that...emotional, almost cinematic depth to her skating as post-vancouver Yuna. It's like comparing a Disney Channel original movie to something like the Titanic. Not that Disney Channel movies are bad; in fact I enjoyed so many of them in my youth :biggrin: but something about her skating after 2010 she just seemed more mature, and more epic/timeless storytelling.

It's a bittersweet feeling because her most beautiful programs came after Vancouver, and when I rewatch them (as I used to almost daily/now I've been watching replays of my other favorite skater *looks at my avatar* but I'll admit artistically he can't touch Yuna) her skating has brought a lot of joy and beauty to my life. But it's tempered by the dark cloud of whether she was happy being there, or just doing it because of the immense pressure that was put on her. It's hard for me to watch her after her skates end, because you can tell from her reaction and her facial expressions, even when she skates well, that joy of skating is not there anymore.

This is sad for me as well. But as much as I'm sad that she retired, I'm so happy she's gets to enjoy her life now. Free from the crushing pressure of winning competitions and the hard life she had to live because of training. I just wish she comes back to skating in shows but only if she really wants to. I still feel like she will. She's just taking a rest. But I gotta say, her body right now suits her. She's not too skinny anymore. She looks sexy. :)

I agree. Her post-Vancouver programs are masterpieces! My favorite are Les Mis and SITC. I watch them all the time. Pre-Vancouver Yuna had fire but post-Vancouver Yuna was more polished, mature and timeless.

As of this day, no other skater has touched me the way Yuna did (on and off ice). She's my queen.

narcissa

Record Breaker

narcissa

Record Breaker
She looks like she's gained weight. She looks healthier and happier :) good for her :biggrin:

Last edited:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I think she is invited to the nationals every year and she doesn't have a choice, she just must be there. I think if she was there just for fun (and without cameras), she'd enjoy it more.
I also wonder if they greeted each other with Brian Orser, they haven't seen each other for a long time (last year at nationals?).

Yuna introduces the Gangneung Ice Arena and invited fans to 4CC:
https://twitter.com/pyeongchang2018/status/818049044140290048

Other nice pictures:
https://twitter.com/_xxxkkkk/status/818129647523110912
https://twitter.com/wonderfulyuna/status/818031114459566080
https://twitter.com/charisma1027/status/818021597395107840
https://twitter.com/charisma1027/status/818019872659517440

And the day before she attended an event in Seoul:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7J3ShLSgLA
(oh, those flashing cameras! :shocked:)
https://twitter.com/newsONEstar/status/817707513269190656
https://twitter.com/loveqyn/status/817701733757435904

sarama

Medalist
I also wonder if they greeted each other with Brian Orser, they haven't seen each other for a long time (last year at nationals?).

It's likely they have seen each other every once and a while since she "left him" in 2010. They were both for sure at Worlds in London and in Sochi for the Olympics. And since Brian started coaching Jun hwan there must have been even more opportunities.
Anyway I'm pretty sure that even though they didn't part ways on the best of terms they still have a lot of respect for each other, and every single time I've heard Brian being
asked about Yuna in interviews he had only positive things to say about her even with an underlying feeling of affection...
I think that whatever happened he understands better than anyone that Yuna's life choices were often influenced by the great pressure she was under, and I don't think heis in anyway bitter towards her. I simply think he cared a great deal about her and probably wished she would have trusted him enough to rely on him for the rest of her career, but really I think they are perfectly fine now.

liv

Record Breaker
She certainly looks less than impressed at having to be there. However, realistically I think she just has one of those faces that does not look happy when not smiling. Genetics.

skaterr

On the Ice
Yuna is doing her best to promote Pyeong Chang Olympics, but see what’s going on in korea now. Former KSU president, Kim Jae Yeol is now examined by the prosecution in allegation of requesting special consideration for a job position(he is a vice chairman of The PyeongChang Organizing Committee. Also, Kim Chong, a former vice president of Sports Ministry is in jail now. They are all collaborators of President Park and Choi family. They had a good plan to make a good use of Pyeong Chang Olympics to have their profits. That’s why Yuna seem so uncomfortable I guess. Korean people actually don’t care about Pyeong Chang right now. They are so absorbed in Choi family gate.
Bach also mentions his concerns about this issue. To gain Korean people’s attention or to give a more positive impressions about Phyeong Chang, there might be more chances to give Yuna a Gold medal.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
In an interview Brian said him and Yuna greeted each other at 2013 Worlds, I'm sure they still respect each other and there's no bad blood now. They've put it all behind them and have moved on to do great things =)

sallycinnamon

Medalist
It's likely they have seen each other every once and a while since she "left him" in 2010. They were both for sure at Worlds in London and in Sochi for the Olympics. And since Brian started coaching Jun hwan there must have been even more opportunities.
Anyway I'm pretty sure that even though they didn't part ways on the best of terms they still have a lot of respect for each other, and every single time I've heard Brian being
asked about Yuna in interviews he had only positive things to say about her even with an underlying feeling of affection...
I think that whatever happened he understands better than anyone that Yuna's life choices were often influenced by the great pressure she was under, and I don't think heis in anyway bitter towards her. I simply think he cared a great deal about her and probably wished she would have trusted him enough to rely on him for the rest of her career, but really I think they are perfectly fine now.

They haven't seen each other that much since 2010, at Worlds 2011 and 2013 and Sochi but at those events I guess they didn't have any time to talk to each other. Nationals is a bit different since last year, especially that Yuna is not a competitor anymore. Maybe they had a bit of time to chat before men's medal ceremony today, who knows.;) I am sure they respect each other anyway.

Why is she forced to be there?

She is not 'forced', but since she is doing a big part in organizing the PyeongChang Olympics it is just obligatory for her to be there. I don't really know if it remains the same after the Olympics, we'll see. It depends on too what Yuna will do in her life after the event.

RABID

Final Flight
^ Overtake KSU and actually run it properly 😎😉

The thing is figure skating in Korea is mostly about the ladies whereas short track speed skating is mostly about the guys. In addition to that Korea is a minor player in the figure skating world but a leading power in short track. I am not Korean and I have no REAL insights but it is my belief that it is this sort of reality why the debacle of Sochi was met with tepid push back at best by the KSU; save your powers of influence for where your interests most lie, short track speed skating.
Yuna would probably have to assuage the short track community that THEY would remain preeminent. No, I think the best thing that will happen is that her working on the Olympics will get her a seat and a voice in the KSU but not the the top seat.... As to how strong of a voice she'll have amongst those folks that is a bit of a question mark. How patriarchal and paternalistic is Korean society? I don't really know but I suspect it is more so than Western countries.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I love Yuna's unimpressed face. :))) Hence my painting I used for my avatar.
It's probably just an expression out of the many expressions a person makes during the day. We didn't see her 100% of the time during the event so we can't know her overall feelings towards it. It might have meant something or nothing at all.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Older news, but very nice:)

Yuna Kim’s Ice Skates Become “Cultural Asset”

SEOUL, Jan. 9 (Korea Bizwire) – A pair of ice skates worn by South Korean figure skating legend Yuna Kim will soon become a “cultural asset” officially designated by the Cultural Heritage Administration.

The skates were worn by Kim during the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, where she won the gold medal with a world record total score of 228.56 points.

Currently, the Cultural Properties Protection Law only allows for the designation of objects that are over 50 years old, representing high significance in terms of history, culture, and arts. The law has been frequently criticized, with detractors saying that the 50-year provision fails to protect modern cultural assets of higher value.

The new plan announced Monday by the CHA will now permit newer objects to be designated as cultural assets, and Kim’s ice skates, along with the first subway car to run on the Seoul metro railway, will be the first to be honored under the new terms.

The skates’ boots were made by Italian manufacturer Risport, while the blades are from John Wilson Skates, a British company, the CHA said.

“There are only a few Korean ice skate makers, so athletes tend to prefer overseas brands,” said the CHA in an official statement. “Although the pair was made by foreign manufacturers, it has distinctive value, having been worn by Korea’s first gold medalist in figure skating at the Olympic Games.”

By Lina Jang ([email protected])

http://koreabizwire.com/yuna-kims-ice-skates-become-cultural-asset/73675

Video

Last edited: