bebevia

On the Ice
Won-joong Kim (29, Korea)
Ice hockey player.

http://image.dispatch.co.kr/erc/yuna20140306/ex.html
http://www.dispatch.co.kr/r.dp?idx=30724&category=5&subcategory=14

I, er... yea...

+
It was so random. I personally think the paparazzi held on until her competitions were over, and made sure to profile this man. (+ Apparently, paparazzis knew early into dates, but held off for years.)

+
He's been the captain of the Korean hockey team for a long time; he's one of the best players in Asian ice hockey history.

The two met in late 2012, in the Olympic village (around Yuna's foot injury); not sure when they started dating. Speculated, they could get to know each other since the hockey team, speed skaters, and figure skaters all shared the same rink (...yea...).

Since he's serving in military right now, they date whenever he gets a vacation.

+
At the recent E1 interview, when asked if she'd be married after 10 yrs, she said "33 would be too late if not". He'd be 39 (40 in Korean calculation), so I guess that explains her conservative answer on age...

+
A popular guy, more popular in Japan, not photogenic - better in person. Fought through injuries. Great reputation: focused, humble & mannered. Ice skating moms either urged their sons to look up to him or waited to snatch him for their girls - and hell broke loose; joy, envy & hate for either of the couple.

Aiming for the 2018 Olympics; Korean ice hockey never qualified before, this might be first.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
She's just another 23 year-old dating a guy. No biggie.

Though, it's sad that the paparazzi have gotten a hold of it.

I feel a little bad for all the kpop idols who have declared her their "ideal woman" though. Looks like you've got beaten, guys!

anyanka

Record Breaker
As long as she's happy, then great! Otherwise, if she chooses to keep that side to herself and doesn't actively encourage the papparazzi to seek her out and hypocritically begs for publicity like certain Hollywood stars, even as a public figure, then let's all respect that.

I think if she has happiness in her life and she is fulfilled with her career, if she wants this relationship to happen, I say go for it. She's given so much of herself to her career, her country, her sponsors and her fans, now it's time she does things for herself. He's a lucky guy!

cooper

Medalist
awww... i guess yuna is really retired..i bet many korean guys are heartbroken with this news... :laugh:

i want yuna to enjoy her life outside of skating!!!!

verysmuchso

On the Ice
I don't know why I feel so heart-broken. I guess Yuna has been for me Joan of Arc, my virginal hero.

bebevia

On the Ice
I don't know why I feel so heart-broken. I guess Yuna has been for me Joan of Arc, my virginal hero.
I feel you; never expected myself to, though. This must be what my dad felt, back when I was 16, when he had a drink and talked about my possible future boyfriend and held tears.

I'm going through others one by one, just to rehearse and immunize.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Wut?! Where did she find time to date? Very surprised by this news, but good for her!

cooper

Medalist
i believe they've been dating since summer..yuna was asked many times about her future boyfriend.. she always said that she prefers dating an athlete.. i guess now yuna is retired she can do whatever she wants..

the guys/boys in korea are having a meltdown.. :laugh:

If this is true, I'm so glad to hear that YuNa is moving towards a wider life. She has spent so much time fulfilling her obligations. Now let her breathe and look around her and have new adventures.

Krislite

Medalist

Heart broken? This is actually great news to me. I'm so relieved to find out she's got a life outside of figure skating. :p

heyang

Record Breaker
Hope the relationship goes well for both of them.

A lot of people date at their ages. It's not uncommon for figure skaters to meet hockey players as they share ice. Kristi married Brett after meeting him at the 92 Olympics and dated through his seasons and her touring with SOI. Michele Kwan dated a hockey player (Brad?) for a while, too.