Mao Asada | Page 89 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

gotoschool

Medalist
Here are some really stunning/artistic gifs from the ICE. Thanks to the uploader. :)

①Three Beauties   ②Mao Asada THE ICE 2007-2015   ③Mao, Joannie and Carolina - Benedictus

They look really nice yhma fan.

rosewood at fsuniverse posted these short video clips of Mao's new Madame Butterfly program.

Choreo seq: http://videos-b-10.ak.instagram.com...-16/11867685_152616578406270_1236513930_n.mp4

Transitions towards the end, and spins followed by the finish pose:
https://igcdn-videos-c-10-a.akamaih...-16/11726053_111478869200210_1631873464_n.mp4 post number 103

Mao looks really expressive and balletic in her flowing extensions and body movements through both clips like a stream meeting its destiny in the sea. She stretches and articulates each gesture carefully and gracefully, as a bird gliding in arcs through the sky in her final arabesque spiral and I spin. Finally, she draws the curtains down on her performance with her right arm and hand as she kneels in her final plaintive pose.

rosewood also posted this short clip of Mao practicing a 3F / 3T combo.

http://igcdn-videos-c-19-a.akamaihd...-16/11867724_148888305445819_1818917738_n.mp4

Last edited:

begin

Medalist
Thanks everyone for the updates. I can't wait for Madame Butterfly :love:

Now is a 3F-3T really worth training for (BV-wise)? I would hate to see it mess with her other jumps. The 3T has always been a weakness and that combo looks << as of now.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Thanks everyone for the updates. I can't wait for Madame Butterfly :love:

Now is a 3F-3T really worth training for (BV-wise)? I would hate to see it mess with her other jumps. The 3T has always been a weakness and that combo looks << as of now.

You're right that the combo is << but considering even when she does rotate 3Lo at the end of her 3F-3Lo the judges still don't really give it to her which sucks. The base value of the 3T has gone up this season anyway so maybe Mao is trying a different strategy, judges have been kind to other skaters (eg Ashley, Adelina) with respect to rotations on their 3Lze-3Ts so maybe Mao thinks she has a better chance of getting a 3-3 ratified that way

Ultra

Rinkside
The 3T has always been a weakness and that combo looks << as of now.

You're right that the combo is <<

By what standard?

You cannot judge Mao by a stricter standard than the rest of the field. Other skaters were given pluses for way worse landings.

The backend is certainly not worse than anyone else, with a much better air position, and it is double-standard to call it << while pretending Adelina/Liza/Radio/Satoko are cleaner.

If you want strict judging, you must hold ALL skaters by that standard. If this 3-3 is to be downgraded, then ALL ladies 3-3s would automatically fail that standard including the World's podium. Literally, the entire protocol for all ladies events would be solid <<.

If you are okay with ratifying the 3-3 of Adelina/Liza/Radio/Satoko, then you must judge Mao by the same standard, because her jumps are irrefutably not worse.

There is nothing wrong with lenient standards, nor unobtainable standards, so long as they are applied equally.

begin

Medalist
By what standard?

You cannot judge Mao by a stricter standard than the rest of the field. Other skaters were given pluses for way worse landings.

The backend is certainly not worse than anyone else, with a much better air position, and it is double-standard to call it << while pretending Adelina/Liza/Radio/Satoko are cleaner.

If you want strict judging, you must hold ALL skaters by that standard. If this 3-3 is to be downgraded, then ALL ladies 3-3s would automatically fail that standard including the World's podium. Literally, the entire protocol for all ladies events would be solid <<.

If you are okay with ratifying the 3-3 of Adelina/Liza/Radio/Satoko, then you must judge Mao by the same standard, because her jumps are irrefutably not worse.

There is nothing wrong with lenient standards, nor unobtainable standards, so long as they are applied equally.

I don't know what skaters you've been looking at. Almost every top lady can land their 3-3 combinations completely backwards and they're the only ones that consistently get +GOEs. By any standard in today's judging that particular 3T would've been downgraded. It's easy to see even without slow-mo that she lands at least half a rotation short and it's the kind of "cheated" landing that judges love to ding Mao for (as they've done so a ton of times for many other ladies).

Where are you coming from to accuse me of being somehow partial against her?

Barb

Record Breaker
By what standard?

I am sure that Liza´s 3-3 doesnt look like this 3-3 from Mao, definitly Mao lands with the edge backwards.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure we need to look too deeply into this 3-3. She is not even going very fast and doesn't carry any distance. I think in a larger rink and during a competitive program she'll be going much faster and doing them bigger.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I'm not sure we need to look too deeply into this 3-3. She is not even going very fast and doesn't carry any distance. I think in a larger rink and during a competitive program she'll be going much faster and doing them bigger.

I agree. 2013-2014, she didn't even upgrade to the +3Lo in the flip combination until late in the season, right...

minze

Medalist
^^^^
Peace. It seems to me Mao was just showing this to Mura. We don't know her layout.

minze

Medalist

Agree

Krunchii

Record Breaker
By what standard?

Look at her foot when she lands the 3F and then look at her foot when she lands the 3T, she's definitely short on rotation and no technical panel will overlook that. Like Sam has said, it's probably not a serious one so I guess we shouldn't look closely into it. You're reading too much into it. Judges are more lenient when judging 3-3s with a 3T instead of a 3Lo so maybe Mao is experimenting with it next season. Just speculation because it's the off season and I'm bored and restless and I miss Mao

yhmafan

Medalist

Yes and her condition is not even in top shape.

(She herself has said in some recent interviews that she needs to regain it at least the same level as the last worlds season by the time when actual competitions start.
She surely knows that best. We will just wait and see :))

gotoschool

Medalist
In the video I posted http://igcdn-videos-c-19-a.akamaihd...-16/11867724_148888305445819_1818917738_n.mp4

I think Mao's 3F looked all the way round and I could only tell the 3T was ur on slo mo replay. But, she did such a good job of disguising it in real time with her beautifully smooth landing that I didn't see anything but a slight hook. However, I agree with Sam-Skwantch that it is obvious Mao is not going full speed in the video and to me it appears she is trying to get used to the mechanics and motions of the combo at a slower speed. But, I also agree with ultra that Mao (but there are other skaters as well) is held to a "stricter standard" than some other skaters. I didn't believe this at first until I started comparing rotation in slow motion.

For example, Mao's 3F / 3L in the Worlds LP which I believe was fully rotated was originally given a +1.3 GOE by the judges but subsequently received urs (bogus in my opinion) resulting in a loss of about 4 points on those two jumps, whereas ELizavetta's 3T / 3T combo in the Worlds SP 2015 was given a lower +1.0 GOE but she did not receive a ur call, even though I saw a hook on the backend 3T that several posters at youtube have commented on that looked like a definite ur to me. I am not trying to criticize Elizavetta or fabricate urs against her and I know that Mao does have urs sometimes. I am simply going by what my eyes saw and I am concerned that a similar situation could arise this season. I believe reputation is far too important in determining ur or "non-ur" calls and I don't subscribe to the idea that, "Well that's just the way it is and you have got to accept it." I can't change the scores or the results, but I can form my own opinion of them based on what my eyes have seen and share those views with other people. But, I also believe that reputation itself is often originally formed by harsh and lenient calls.

I agree with this quote because I believe the standards are often not applied equally, not just for Mao but other skaters as well.

Personally, I am glad that Mao emphasizes aesthetics in her jumps such as maintaining erect posture throughout, having tight symmetrical air position, the dynamics of delayed rotation accelerating into quick whipsaw motion, intricate transitions in and out, and beautiful balletic extensions and motions with expressive and elegant arm movements and the bonus of having exceptional height in her jumps for a non-power, ballet type skater.

Though the qualities of Mao's erect posture (as opposed to leaning deep into a jump) and delayed rotation sacrifice the height and complete rotation of the jump a bit, the beauty more than compensates for it in my opinion. I think urs are often barely visible and sometimes invisible in real time compared to these other much more obvious and highly aesthetic qualities, and in Mao's case (and I believe there are other skaters) my eyes tell me that sometimes called urs don't exist at all. I just don't understand why such huge deductions should be given to what are "called" under-rotations such as the draconican drop in value of Mao's fully rotated Worlds LP 2014 triple axel from a 8.5 base value with +1.6 GOE to a base value of 6 with a 0 GOE. While I think the call was bogus even if it had been legitimate it still seems like an overly harsh double punishment to me for Mao or anyone because it is something most eyes can barely see.

Last edited:

begin

Medalist

^^^
I was trying to understand the mathematics of why she may approach a 3T instead of her stronger 3Lo but sorry for starting such a fuss, folks. Mao was probably just doing it for kicks in the video anyway.

Globetrotter

Medalist
^^^
I was trying to understand the mathematics of why she may approach a 3T instead of her stronger 3Lo but sorry for starting such a fuss, folks. Mao was probably just doing it for kicks in the video anyway.[/QUOTE}

Two reasons.
1. Tagging a 3R as the second combo is way more difficult to get ratified. When was the last time somebody got a fully ratified 3X-3R combo?
2. A 3F-3T will be a more sane option in the SP. She can then tag on a 3R out of steps which is her most successful money jump. The 3S is still not her best jump and it seems really silly to do 3F-3R and then 3T out of steps. In addition, the 3Lz (e) is a total lost cause. Might as well max out the points in the SP by going 3A, 3F-3T and 3R which will be a good matchup with Tuks 3A, 3Lz, 3T-3T. And we know Mao will be a sure win on PCS.

yhmafan

Medalist
Here is a high quality video of Mao's SP performance in Vancouver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcKWfHDD0fg

Thank you so much for the link, gotoschool. I think that the performance was simply Perfect!! and look at her radiant smile in the end, is Priceless!

---------------------------------
Here is an interesting article that 10 Figure Skating champions before they were famous.
The article says that Mao Asada (2000), age 9 : She started as a ballerina but soon moved to Figure Skating at the age of 5.
Japanese Mao Asada was impressive on the ice already from the beginning.

Please enjoy. :yay:

Franklin99

Medalist
I still don't get it why there is a large difference of points (5 points) between this program and the 1st in short program. (sorry for reminiscing the past)

Yeah. that performance was worthy of a 76+ score. Bu we know the judges had to leave points off in case of a possible mistake(s) made by their current #1.