2016 US Nationals Withdrawals | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Withdrawals

vivskates

Rinkside
I thought it may be helpful to start a thread for competitor withdrawals, as we'll likely start hearing about several in the coming weeks.

Updated 1/13

Confirmed withdrawals:
Senior Men: Jason Brown, Joshua Farris, Jordan Moeller
Senior Pairs: Donlan/Bartholomay, Denney/Frazier
Junior Pairs: Finster/Hartley

(I don't have any articles about Denney/Frazier, but The Skating Lesson said they've withdrawn, and I trust them)

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Good idea starting a thread for this. :agree: :clap: :points:

Oh, so Donlan/Bartholomay are only rumoured to be out. Oops! I've already taken them off the list in the Predictions Thread... :slink:

Depending on who you talk to, Kseniya PONOMARYOVA / Oleg ALTUKHOV may also be out. They aren't in the USFS practice group list, but Oleg is adament that they are still competing...

CaroLiza_fan

vivskates

Rinkside
The ones I listed as rumors are probably true, but I haven't seen it anywhere official. Joshua Farris was on NBC Sports, Jordan Moeller was on Ice Network, and I know Eric Hartley personally, so I can confirm that the partnership ended.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just wanted to let you know that the Provisional Entry List PDF has been updated.

In Men, Jordan MOELLER has been removed and Eric STINEHART added in his place.

Josh FARRIS is also missing, but no sign of any replacement yet.

In Pairs, Gretchen DONLAN / Nathan BARTHOLOMAY are missing, but no sign of any replacement yet.

Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER are still on the list.

And in Dance, Kseniya PONOMARYOVA / Oleg ALTUKHOV are still on the list.

I have updated the tables in the Predictions Thread to reflect these developments.

Thank you to Golden for the tip off that the PDF had been updated again.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The ones I listed as rumors are probably true, but I haven't seen it anywhere official. Joshua Farris was on NBC Sports, Jordan Moeller was on Ice Network, and I know Eric Hartley personally, so I can confirm that the partnership ended.

Sorry, I have only been looking at the Senior lists, as that is what we are predicting on.

I don't know if Kate FINSTER / Eric HARTLEY were in yesterday's version of the PDF, but they aren't in today's.

But, thank you for the tip off. It is handy when somebody actually knows skaters that don't get as much publicity, as it lets us hear things like this.

All the best to both of them for the future.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I thought it may be helpful to start a thread for competitor withdrawals, as we'll likely start hearing about several in the coming weeks.

What I've heard so far...

Confirmed:
Joshua Farris, Jordan Moeller, Finster/Hartley

Rumored:
Denney/Frazier, Donlan/Bartholomay

Thanks for the thread! This is a great idea as there are an unfortunate number of skaters withdrawing as of now. :cry:

BTW: are you Vivian Le, or someone else associated with her (agent, part of her team, family member, etc)?

Probably not but I figured I'd ask, seeing as your username is very similar to Vivian's Instagram name. :slink:

vivskates

Rinkside
I don't know if Kate FINSTER / Eric HARTLEY were in yesterday's version of the PDF, but they aren't in today's.

CaroLiza_fan

They were not in the PDF because they're not Senior level. They're the reigning Novice champs and were set to compete in Junior, but split up after Sectionals.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
BTW: are you Vivian Le, or someone else associated with her (agent, part of her team, family member, etc)?

Probably not but I figured I'd ask, seeing as your username is very similar to Vivian's Instagram name. :slink:

:eek:

Ha, nope!

Thank goodness! I would die of embarassment if Vivian saw some of my posts! (Remember when I first saw her name, and assumed she came from a French background. And I was pronouncing her name with a French accent... :eek:: :slink: )

By the way, Layback11, I have wondered for a while now if YOU were a famous skater...

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
They were not in the PDF because they're not Senior level. They're the reigning Novice champs and were set to compete in Junior, but split up after Sectionals.

Actually, the PDF lists everybody that is competing, not just the ones at Senior level. So, there is every chance that they had been in it.

I looked them up there, and that was some achievement they had last season. Winning Novice Nationals in their first year together! :points:

It's just a pity that it turned out to be such a short-lived partnership. But, hey. Who knows, it might prove to be a stepping stone to bigger and better things for both of them.

CaroLiza_fan

Layback11

Record Breaker
:eek:

Thank goodness! I would die of embarassment if Vivian saw some of my posts! (Remember when I first saw her name, and assumed she came from a French background. And I was pronouncing her name with a French accent... :eek:: :slink: )

By the way, Layback11, I have wondered for a while now if YOU were a famous skater...

CaroLiza_fan
Oh my goodness, no! I wish! :laugh2: I'm a competitive skater but I don't even have an axel yet...hehe. I do skate, but that's where the similarities end, LOL.

I would die of embarrassment if any of the skaters whose fan fests I started showed up here, so you're not alone.

However, I once got a PM from someone to thank me for a fan fest I started, and they hinted at inside information on that skater's program (didn't actually reveal it, just said they knew). I think it might've been somebody's parent, and that is why I thought vivskates might be Vivian or a relative/coach/someone else: there are obviously "insiders" on GS, even if they're hard to find.

However, I am definitely not one of them. ;)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Josh FARRIS is also missing, but no sign of any replacement yet.

He wouldn't be replaced, because he qualified via a bye based on last year's results, not through sectionals.

Replacements would be alternates who placed 5th or 6th at sectionals, moving up if one of the qualifiers ahead of them withdrew.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... In Pairs, Gretchen DONLAN / Nathan BARTHOLOMAY are missing, but no sign of any replacement yet. ...

No one would replace Gretchen/Nate, AFAIK ... b/c no other US pair exists to replace them.

All the pairs who competed at Sectionals already are entered at Nats.
Only three pairs competed at Eastern Sectionals http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2016/18513/results.html/
Only two pairs competed at Midwestern Sectionals http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2016/18514/results.html
Zero pairs competed at Pacific Coast Sectionals http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2016/18515/results.html

(As an aside: Although USFS listed Gretchen/Nate under Easterns, they did not compete there.)

Are you just referring to the U.S. Nationals?

Although the thread title doesn't specify U.S., I think it's understood b/c this thread is within the US Nats subforum.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh my goodness, no! I wish! :laugh2: I'm a competitive skater but I don't even have an axel yet...hehe. I do skate, but that's where the similarities end, LOL.

I would die of embarrassment if any of the skaters whose fan fests I started showed up here, so you're not alone.

However, I once got a PM from someone to thank me for a fan fest I started, and they hinted at inside information on that skater's program (didn't actually reveal it, just said they knew). I think it might've been somebody's parent, and that is why I thought vivskates might be Vivian or a relative/coach/someone else: there are obviously "insiders" on GS, even if they're hard to find.

However, I am definitely not one of them. ;)

Methinks the lady doth protest too much...

Don't worry, I'm only joking! ;) :biggrin:

Funny you should say that about the Fan Fests, because any time I create one, I contact the skater to let them know, and to ask if they can provide any more info or point out any mistakes.

Mind you, only one skater has ever responded. And that was the one that I was already chatting to regularly!

Oh, well. At least they know somebody appreciates them enough to go as far as to create a Fan Fest.

And I had never thought about there possibly being insiders on here. Oh, that kinda scares me.

But, this is getting WAAAY off topic! So, I think I'll leave it there.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
He wouldn't be replaced, because he qualified via a bye based on last year's results, not through sectionals.

Replacements would be alternates who placed 5th or 6th at sectionals, moving up if one of the qualifiers ahead of them withdrew.

Oh, that is disappointing. Even though he got in on a bye, I thought they would still bring in a replacement from one of the sectionals.

Mind you, I suppose that would create a whole new problem of deciding just who would get the call up.

Nah, better not open that can of worms.

No one would replace Gretchen/Nate, AFAIK ... b/c no other US pair exists to replace them.

All the pairs who competed at Sectionals already are entered at Nats.

Wow!!! :jaw: I always thought the US had a healthy number of Pairs couples compared to other countries. I didn't realise there were actually barely enough to make up a complete Nationals field. :eek:

That has really shocked me.

CaroLiza_fan

gkelly

Record Breaker
Wow!!! :jaw: I always thought the US had a healthy number of Pairs couples compared to other countries. I didn't realise there were actually barely enough to make up a complete Nationals field. :eek:

Well, most countries are lucky to have more than one senior pair, enough to hold a national championship, at all. Actually, most don't even have one.

Probably US, Canada, Russia, and China are the only ones where there might be more pairs (at least some years) than places available at Nationals.

I don't know how many pairs Russia has, but I think those who are age eligible can compete at both their junior and senior nationals, which may give a skewed sense of their total number.

For what it's worth, there were a total of 14 junior pairs spread across the US sectionals, so only 2 didn't get to advance. And the numbers at lower levels are not much higher.

But these are healthy numbers compared to other countries.

slider11

Medalist
Sad to hear that Donlan and Bartholomay may be out. Anyone no the nature of the withdrawal? Injury or not clicking?