Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17 | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
What in the name of... ?!

:laugh2:
I dont watch SW but I suspect its someone from the movie:laugh:

K/S took part in the JApanese NHK Gala too (from the intro it seems they did Carmen EX)
Its very lovely to know Yuko visited home Hopefully she managed to meet her relatives/ppl she knows

Hopefully someone can upload the vids

w/Davis/White

Poster

Last edited:

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Thanks :) Did she start out as a single skater? When? OK, suppose I should ask a Japanese poster this. Anyway, I have a weak memory of her skating pairs for Japan with a Russian boy. They had yellow costumes in this memory and Moskvina was their coach I think.

Just now I found some information about her single's career. She was Japan junior Nationals bronze medalist in 1998 and Mexico Cup winner of Junior Grand Prix in 1999. Then in 1999 she moved to the USA and switched to pairs. She competed for Japan with Alexander Markuntsov. They were the first who won an ISU medal for Japan in pair skating, Junior Worlds silver in 2001. Their coach was Igor Moskvin, Tamara's husband. Actually I saw only one video of Kawaguchi and Markuntsov and remembered it because of a syncro fall in their SBS jump.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Just now I found some information about her single's career. She was Japan junior Nationals bronze medalist in 1998 and Mexico Cup winner of Junior Grand Prix in 1999. Then in 1999 she moved to the USA and switched to pairs. She competed for Japan with Alexander Markuntsov. They were the first who won an ISU medal for Japan in pair skating, Junior Worlds silver in 2001. Their coach was Igor Moskvin, Tamara's husband. Actually I saw only one video of Kawaguchi and Markuntsov and remembered it because of a syncro fall in their SBS jump.

Youtube video of Yuko and Alexander: 4CC 2001, Free Skate to Spartacus

Here’s the SBS synchro fall on 3-toe: Short program Trophé Lalique 2001, skating to Carmen, both 19 years old. A lot of talking(information) during the skate.

She skated with Devin Patrick 2004-2006
http://www.tracings.net/kawa-patr.html

2005 Yuko and Devin Patrick practicing

According to wikipedia, Markuntsov began skating in shows with Catherine Harvey from Britain in 2008. They married in 2010 and are/were teaching figure skating in Birmingham. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Markuntsov

I dug through my old video tapes and found Worlds in Washington 2003. There they were, skating in yellow costumes, a short program to Rachmaninov; charming performance with neat elements. Inventive spiral and spins. Artur Dmitriev watching and smiling in the audience and Moskvina beside them in K&C :) Technical points 4.4-5.6. (LOL, I would have given them positive GOE on all elements) Presentation 4.3-5.7. Placements 4-9. I think I heard booing.

Free skate to ’Those were the days’, Beatles. Great lifts and throws. Placements 3-7. In the end they finished 12th.

Kudos to Yuko and Moskvina. What a long ’up and down’ journey they are on!

Side note: Nostalgic watching the pairs competition from 2003. Only 13 years ago, but so different from now. Many pairs I don’t remember, but obviously Kavaguchi/Markuntsov caught my attention. Shen/Zhao won, Totmianina/Marinin did a fabulous short, Abitbol/Bernadis stopped skating due too pain in her left foot and were allowed to continue within two minutes, Hao Zhang as a youngster, a dark haired Volosochar skating with a guy named Kharchenko….. I know…another story…

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I thought fans of Yuko and Alexander might be interested in the above 3 posts about Yuko's singles career and her previous partners that came up in the Cup of China thread :)

Perdita

Final Flight
This is so sad :sad21:
Can't believe they won't be either at Euros nor World. The google translation tells me she is seriously injured... not sure how that means precisely, but the fact they instantly knew they can't go to the World on the day she injured do seem to suggest it is quite serious... I'm so shocked :sad21: Wishing Yuko a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

borzaya

Final Flight
This is so sad :sad21:
Can't believe they won't be either at Euros or World. The google translation tells me she is seriously injured... not sure how that means precisely, but the fact they instantly knew they can't go to the World on the day she injured do seem to suggest it is quite serious... I'm so shocked :sad21:

It's said in the article that it's tendon tear... It's rather serious and takes long time to heal :(

sneakers

Match Penalty
really upsetting, now Yuko is the one injured this time :sad46:
they never get a rest from injuries

I think this will dampen their hierarchy as Russian No.3
Tarasova / Morozov might establish as Russian No.3 once they come back like with the rise of Stolbova / Klimov in Sochi 2014