2016 Team Challenge Cup - Day 2 | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2016 Team Challenge Cup - Day 2

Icey

Record Breaker
Hate to break it to you, but this event wasn't that great. Glad I saved myself the $9.99, so I am grateful for that much.

I agree. They need to go back to the drawing board if they plan on continuing this kind of event.

rosy14

Final Flight
She's portraying deaf girl trying to embrace our "normal" world: the whole idea is based on sign language, which she trained before the season under supervision of professional translator of people with hearing disorders. The girl is curious of surrounding world, world she can't hear, but also the world she's not afraid and is trying to explore. The beginning: ear covering gestures express her disability, but laso instantly the smile indicates the youthful zeal and openess, then the curtains she makes with her hands at the rink side are symbols of barriers between her world of silence and ours; she is bypassing them, pushing through to the touching end, when she "says" in sign language: "I can't hear you,
but get goosebumps feeling you deep in my heart. I'm not afraid of you, I open up to you".

I didn't know all that, but I liked the programme since the first time I saw it. Evgenia grew into it time after time and at Worlds she was perfect. And she gave me goosebumps.
Schinlder's was, in a way, too"easy" in impressing people. And people got too impressed by things having nothing to do with figure skating and Juila's skating. And, perhaps, all this ruined their carrier after the Olympics. IMO.

Icey

Record Breaker
The judging at this event was awful. Pulled one skaters, lowballed the others:disapp: It's like Boston never ended with such scores! How could Miyahara get 76 for TES?? They should have given her lower tes and bigger pcs, but okay, whatever..I don't get how can you compare Gold/Wagner to Satoko, not saying anything about Medvedeva! Satoko for clean program - 145, Gold for UNclean program and meh performance/execution - higher pcs (!!!!!!!!!!!) and tes (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Wagner with bad technique is only 2 point lower than Satoko once again. I have a feeling that this event was so politicked that they would have pulled Wagner or Gold to 1st place skate they a little better:palmf: Nowadays the scores are so overrated, TES overrated, good technique overrated, URs and pre-rotations are overlooked, and I'm taking Medvedeva in this list of prerotators too. What do the judges want?

No matter the kind of event, there is no excuse for bad judging.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thank you boskil. I had no idea. I'll watch her performance again with this in mind :)

Wonder if the judges take time to explore all skaters programs/stories or if they mostly go with music interpretation. Maybe they get an explanation along with planned elements?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maddening. I cannot find the count-up of points anywhere. I understand throught the pairs/dance. But, don't know how singles were added on

Please see the OP of this thread.

To find Saturday's aggregate scores per team (the totals of the scores that counted toward Team Results):
(1) Click on the results link in the OP to get to the leaderboard page.
(2) Then click on the Team Results link at the bottom of the leaderboard page. Saturday's aggregate scores per team are at the bottom of the Team Results pdf.

The OP also has the rules for how the singles score were added on.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
So those scores don't count as PB, okay it's like Nationals were all the scores are inflated, but a little more cheesy.

In that context, why only 133 for Radionova? okay you don't like her, but the score is 6 points lower than Worlds. :confused:

Well, she is a Russian skater, not an American :laugh:

andromache

Record Breaker
Well, she is a Russian skater, not an American :laugh:

The score is 5 points lower than Worlds, and almost all in TES. At Worlds, she had all level 4s and all of her jumps were fully rotated. Here, she URed the loop and got a level 3 on the combo spin. It's all in the protocol, and has nothing to do with her nationality. Her PCS was about the same. I agree we could've seen more inflation in the PCS for her, but scoring in the first group of skaters was conservative overall.

TMC

Record Breaker
The score is 5 points lower than Worlds, and almost all in TES. At Worlds, she had all level 4s and all of her jumps were fully rotated. Here, she URed the loop and got a level 3 on the combo spin. It's all in the protocol, and has nothing to do with her nationality. Her PCS was about the same. I agree we could've seen more inflation in the PCS for her, but scoring in the first group of skaters was conservative overall.

I want to like this very reasonable comment a few hundred times *aggressively liking*

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Well I'll grant you that he's a better choreographer than he ever was as a performer, but genius? Hardly.

He created some crazy stuffs for the ice dancers Zhiganshina/Gatsi (not to mention Elena's programs)

Yes, he is a genius.

Maddening. I cannot find the count-up of points anywhere. I understand throught the pairs/dance. But, don't know how singles were added on

To the pairs and dance results, add on the top two men and the top two ladies for each team. :)

padme21

On the Ice
Shoma is a nice skater but he needs to work on his landings they were horrible. I found his scores at TC to be a bit generous. But then again it's TCC.

andyjo24

Medalist
Shoma is a nice skater but he needs to work on his landings they were horrible. I found his scores at TC to be a bit generous. But then again it's TCC.

I agree. Although he does happen to land his quads, the landings are horrible to be honest.

gmyers

Record Breaker
But...please...don't be so silly.

It almost happened in 2015. Its very possible.

After the victory at GPF S/K had a sereis of injuries, first her, then him. They started to practise the whole routine just few days before Worlds. And at Worlds they were underscored (PCS) IMO. All the Russians were, except Eugenia.

But everyone was predicting s/k for a medal because they were fine and could easily have withdrawn if they weren't capable of skating. But the problem was they don't have the tech anymore.

Uh.... Jason was about 19 points off of bronze.

Fully rotated triple axel with goe and pcs boost makes bronze easy.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Shoma obviously does have to work on the quality of his jumps. However, it does bear remembering that this was:

1) an incredibly difficult layout;
2) the first time he has done this layout;
3) at the end of the season;
4) his first senior season.

He has said he will be working hard on improvements in the summer.

sarama

Medalist
So...what did the team captains actually do?

Don't remind me, please! I wanted them to do skate in some way, like a group number in the gala, or something else... the organizers were pretty creative with the rules (even too much:rofl:), so I'm sure they could have come up with a way to make them skate.
When Christopher Dean said (before the competition was even started) that he didn't even bring his skates, I was like 'what's the point of even having three Olympic champions here, if all they are going to do is sit on a bench?'. Like Kristi said they didn't have any role but cheerleading:unsure:....Anyway, maybe they bonded with the skaters in these day and will keep in contact and will be their fairygodmathers/father for the rest of their career:cool:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
The TCC I think is too much for the skaters. Most of these skaters have been going non stop since worlds. To ask them to do two competition level programs is too exhausting for them. Remember back in the 90's when we had a ll these sort of made up "competitions" Pro Ams, cheesefests and so forth, The skaters usually skated watered down programs. A cross between competition level and exhibitions. They usually did about 4 jumps.
I think that is what they should do at TCC.
The skaters on the SOI tour were practicing the SOI numbers 12 hours a day and that left them only 1 hour to practice their competition programs for TCC.

Besides TCC being confusing as all get up, I think it is too much. Overall I think it needs to be revamped and reworked.
And we need a lot more reliable Livestreams, I mean really. ;)

Last edited: