Help Needed pronouncing Skaters Names | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Help Needed pronouncing Skaters Names

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I have heard his name being pronounced during Russian broadcasts, it is more like "KoulieDAH", as opposed to the general assumption "KolYAHda".

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
@MGstyle contribted this in the Deniss Vasiljevs fan fest. Deniss says his name:

He made a clip to thank his Japanese fans all in their language. Very impressive how well he recites it, considering that Japanese pronounciation and intonation is extremely particular. Even a Mario Tshirt for a special effect. Can this boy be any more adorable
https://twitter.com/DenissVjpfan/status/726921253156622336
*He is saying "Hello, I am Deniss Vasiljevs. I am so happy to have so much support from you. Thank you so much for always cheering for me. I will continue to do my best. Thank you! With love, Deniss."

eta link fixed, thank you CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Last edited:

Pracygr

On the Ice
If it's any help, Google translate often gives very accurate pronunciations of Russian names. Just set it to translate from Russian into any other language, paste a name (in Russian) into the box, and click the speaker icon.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If it's any help, Google translate often gives very accurate pronunciations of Russian names. Just set it to translate from Russian into any other language, paste a name (in Russian) into the box, and click the speaker icon.

Thanks Pracygr! That's a great idea. And welcome to Golden Skate. Post often and post long!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This 2015 video was not posted yet in this thread, AFAIK:

Anne Line Gjersem says her name at approx. 0:37

Jorik Hendrickx says his name at approx. 0:50.

Isadora Williams says her name at approx. 1:05. (Not very distinctly.)

Natalia Popova says her name at approx. 1:49.​

[Also in this 2015 Olympic Day video (from Brooklee Han) are some former skaters whose names I did not catch :hopelessness:.

The video also has some "repeats" (as far as this pronunciation thread is concerned): Brooklee (with her coach, BTW), Duhamel, Radford, Jason Brown.]

ETA (on May 13):

Charlie Bilodeau says his name in today's ISU "Wait .. What" video:
https://youtu.be/jDJ4LktXMVU

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Polina Edmunds
https://youtu.be/e7T3dBdTrdg

She says "P'lina", not "PO-lina". :think:

(Only ;) :laugh:) ten months after the Polina Edmunds observation and video from Sgoraet/sabinfire, I will follow up with today's video of Polina saying her name (in another Olympic msg):

To my ear, she articulates the first syllable a bit more in today's video. Not much, but a bit.

(To be clear, I am not suggesting/requesting a new pronouncer video from sabinfire. Just making note for the thread of today's video.)

... And I thought(??) I remembered someone way back when making a point of explaining that she pronounces it as "Pawlina??"
But once again, what I think I "know" ;) about someone else's name is meaningless.

I still don't remember where I originally got the notion that the pronunciation for Edmunds' first name is "Pawlina" -- but in her video today, the first syllable does not sound like Paw-.

[It is plausible to me that others named Polina might say Paw-, but Edmunds does not.]

Off topic, but Adam's Olympic msg was really fun:

(Again, not suggesting/requesting a new Adam pronouncer video from sabinfire. I know you made one at the very beginning of this thread.)

Last edited: