New short a ‘release’ for Duhamel & Radford | Page 8 | Golden Skate

New short a ‘release’ for Duhamel & Radford

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
eXACTLY. I mean of course the quad lutz would be great for the lp instead of the 3A. But realistically they need two solid throws so if they can get the 4S and 3A they would be happy. The 3A is so important for the sp as youu can't do a quad right now according to the rules.

They want to do the throw 4Lz and it's worth more points. The throw 3A is a new thing for them, so there's no guarantee it would be clean in the FS. They were practicing the throw 4Lz last year, so they have more experience with it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i thought i had explained that already... but sometimes when people see 4everchan, they just skip ahead and not read LOL
They want to do the throw 4Lz and it's worth more points. The throw 3A is a new thing for them, so there's no guarantee it would be clean in the FS. They were practicing the throw 4Lz last year, so they have more experience with it.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty

But they have been doing 4FTh with poor quality. Though what does it matter when the judges doing appropriately ding the GOE so if that continues to be the case, why take it out...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Well one could argue lots of pairs are doing throws with poor quality. Why don't they stop? No one needs to see those guys two-footing their landings, or worse, falling on their bums. New elements, even for singles skaters, don't always go smoothly. If you just stop trying though, you will never get better. If you don't like Duhamel/Radford's GOEs, you can write to the ISU and ask them to look into shoddy pairs judging. Complaining a hundred times over to people who can do nothing about their marks isn't going to get anything to change. Least of all their skating.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
V/T and S/M land their 3Fth on two feet, why not have D/R land a 4Fth on one very low foot? I think one foot trumps two feet anytime... at least she glides after the landing.
But they have been doing 4FTh with poor quality. Though what does it matter when the judges doing appropriately ding the GOE so if that continues to be the case, why take it out...

TGee

Record Breaker
V/T and S/M land their 3Fth on two feet, why not have D/R land a 4Fth on one very low foot? I think one foot trumps two feet anytime... at least she glides after the landing.

Uhm, I'm still really struggling with the idea that it's a flaw to be in such great condition that Meagan is able to fight for the landing and stay on one foot....:scratch2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Uhm, I'm still really struggling with the idea that it's a flaw to be in such great condition that Meagan is able to fight for the landing and stay on one foot....:scratch2:

accordingly to a poster a few posts above, Meagan's fitness is a huge detriment

TGee

Record Breaker
accordingly to a poster a few posts above, Meagan's fitness is a huge detriment

Oh no, pairs skating has joined the list of sports that pretty girls shouldn't do because they might get muscles! :drama:

....Seriously, I thought my mother and her sisters were out of step here in Canada with that kind of thinking a few decades back.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty

What the...who said anything about fitness? It's about error. Yes, V/T and S/M land the 3FTh on two feet, but it's about the scale of the visible error. V/T 3FTh on two feet, such as Worlds SP, is not that large of a visible error. D/R 4FTh where she's almost sitting on the ice is. Her technique for all of the quadruple throws have been like this. It's the same with K/S supposed "quad" throw that is actually more like a triple throw, as she's practically doing one whole revolution in his arms, and with an ugly landing position similar to D/R. It's nothing to do with "fitness" of appearance. Well, clearly for you it is. Very whacky post...

lyndichee

Medalist
What the...who said anything about fitness? It's about error. Yes, V/T and S/M land the 3FTh on two feet, but it's about the scale of the visible error. V/T 3FTh on two feet, such as Worlds SP, is not that large of a visible error. D/R 4FTh where she's almost sitting on the ice is. Her technique for all of the quadruple throws have been like this. It's the same with K/S supposed "quad" throw that is actually more like a triple throw, as she's practically doing one whole revolution in his arms, and with an ugly landing position similar to D/R. It's nothing to do with "fitness" of appearance. Well, clearly for you it is. Very whacky post...

It is a visible error because you are suppose to land it on one foot. Meagan purposes lands it low because she doesn't have the advantage of rotating fast due to her broader body and her leg muscles can handle that. A two-footed jump warrants negative GOE. No favouritism, a jump landed correctly on 1 foot should be given full points; the GOE can be questionable depending on magnitude, edge, height etc. Aliona is one my favourite female pairs skaters, but frankly they need to fix that because it's almost like they are trying to get a free pass at this point on their jumps.

Again, the landings is your preference, not a fact. I think it is important to distinguish.

TGee

Record Breaker
What the...who said anything about fitness? It's about error.

It's nothing to do with "fitness" of appearance. Well, clearly for you it is. Very whacky post...

LOL I'm focused on fitness and strength for what they can do in terms of ensuring that the athlete can land her jumps or achieve her rotations even when the take off etc. aren't perfect. It's more that I've noticed that a number of posters on GS seem to take the view that it's okay for women skaters to be strong, as long as we can't see the muscles in the close ups. I'd hoped that norms of beauty have been moving towards strong women being viewed as beautiful.

That said, MaxSwagg we are clearly coming from very different schools of thought on what are judging criteria and priorities within those.

I very much appreciate your explaining your perspective on scale of visible error. It's not my understanding of the top priorities in judging in competition so I wouldn't have looked at it that way. Especially in a context of judges slow motion close up reviews of landings as they score the GOE. As I noted in an earlier post below, from what I've observed, from the entry level to the elite, landing a jump on one foot is the make or break for "getting credit" for a good quality jump in a competition or test setting. If other countries are evaluating their skaters so differently from the lower levels up, it could explain why there are different reactions to the way skaters are scored.

But I'd like to note that there has been, in other fora, a great deal of criticism of other skaters who are known for "sneaky" two foot landings.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
We keep hearing throw quad flip, but we've never seen that, have we? It's always been throw quad Lutz, the upgrade of the throw triple Lutz they are doing now. The reason they've now got a throw 3A in the works.

Pairs ladies are supposed to be feminine and pretty according the standards of many.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well... technically, they are considered as the same according to the ISU COP if I am not mistaken.
We keep hearing throw quad flip, but we've never seen that, have we? It's always been throw quad Lutz, the upgrade of the throw triple Lutz they are doing now. The reason they've now got a throw 3A in the works.

Pairs ladies are supposed to be feminine and pretty according the standards of many.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
well... technically, they are considered as the same according to the ISU COP if I am not mistaken.

They are. But Meagan and Eric call it throw quad Lutz. We should call it what they call it unless they are seriously doing something else entirely.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh i call i a quad lutz too ;) it's Max who likes to call it a quad flip because in 'his opinion" Meagan doesn't have a clear outside edge... oh well ;)
They are. But Meagan and Eric call it throw quad Lutz. We should call it what they call it unless they are seriously doing something else entirely.
in the end, what matters is what the tech panel calls it ;)

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
oh i call i a quad lutz too ;) it's Max who likes to call it a quad flip because in 'his opinion" Meagan doesn't have a clear outside edge... oh well ;)
in the end, what matters is what the tech panel calls it ;)

Well, I've seen it live as well as on video and if there were a true distinction in the SOV it would garner an unclear edge at best, imo. So you are correct.