New short a ‘release’ for Duhamel & Radford | Page 9 | Golden Skate

New short a ‘release’ for Duhamel & Radford

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
There's no point in scrutinizing the edge for a pair throw since the skater is being supported going into it. They don't have to turn and control their body weight on their own, so in the end it doesn't really matter. Either way it ends up being a toepick jump that's off a more difficult foot than a toeloop.

TGee

Record Breaker
Pairs ladies are supposed to be feminine and pretty according the standards of many.

I'm struggling with the view that feminine and pretty excludes visible muscle development. I believe that there is a soap commercial challenging that view. Many women in NA take strong exception to such a narrow definition of feminine beauty.http://www.dove.com/ca/en/home.html?gclid=CIrzjMbftM8CFYGBaQodFHgCHQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is is a sport, and arguably the most challenging discipline in skating from a technical perspective. So for some of us it's just as valid to have an aesthetic that celebrates feminine strength, as to enjoy one that emphasizes delicacy. While I'm a strong advocate for the importance of performance in skating, IMO it's important to look at the whole performance package and whether it works, rather than a priori exclude one body type that does not fit a feminine ideal in certain cultures.

"Supposed to be" could suggest that you believe that women in this discipline should have their PCS downgraded if they don't conform to certain physical type. Not sure that you really meant it quite that way.:shrug:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I'm struggling with the view that feminine and pretty excludes visible muscle development. I believe that there is a soap commercial challenging that view. Many women in NA take strong exception to such a narrow definition of feminine beauty.http://www.dove.com/ca/en/home.html?gclid=CIrzjMbftM8CFYGBaQodFHgCHQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is is a sport, and arguably the most challenging discipline in skating from a technical perspective. So for some of us it's just as valid to have an aesthetic that celebrates feminine strength, as to enjoy one that emphasizes delicacy. While I'm a strong advocate for the importance of performance in skating, IMO it's important to look at the whole performance package and whether it works, rather than a priori exclude one body type that does not fit a feminine ideal in certain cultures.

"Supposed to be" could suggest that you believe that women in this discipline should have their PCS downgraded if they don't conform to certain physical type. Not sure that you really meant it quite that way.:shrug:

I should have added a :rolleye: to that post because I really don't care how a lady looks. I care about how she skates.

TGee

Record Breaker
I should have added a :rolleye: to that post because I really don't care how a lady looks. I care about how she skates.

Thanks for the clarification Mango...:agree:

It did seem out of character :scratch3:

TGee

Record Breaker
Thanks for understanding. I'm a keener, it seems, but clearly still learning.:bow:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
It's because Meagan is in such great shape physically, that she is able to land the quad and now the axel. I would say she and Gabby have a similar work ethic when it comes to conditioning. I would not be surprised if Gabby becomes the first Canadian woman to land a triple axel in singles competition.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
or a quad toe ;)
It's because Meagan is in such great shape physically, that she is able to land the quad and now the axel. I would say she and Gabby have a similar work ethic when it comes to conditioning. I would not be surprised if Gabby becomes the first Canadian woman to land a triple axel in singles competition.