Video transcripts and translations | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Video transcripts and translations

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Tonight if I manage it. If not, is it OK to make you wait until Sunday? I have a very busy Friday and Saturday, unfortunately.
Which is good, since I'm getting stressed out about Skate Canada...

Whenever you can get around to it is fine! :biggrin:

Thanks so much in advance.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yeah, Brown is facing some pressure, but he's a guy with a spirit, planning to jump a 4T, with brilliant programs and he's performing before a home crowd. He should succeed. With Rohene Ward at the sideboard.
(After Brown lands his 4T) He does it! (something barely audible then) Well, if even Brown started to jump quads... And not so long ago even Patrick Chan insisted that quads were not necessary - that was just a few years ago.
(After Jason has finished his program) Jason Brown's soft catlike movements put a spell on both spectators in the arena in Chicago and TV viewers. Yes, he was impressive! Even though there was just one quad, his technical mark is increasing to infinity.
I say, the season is starting well!
Yes! Just one, not three quad, and his mark is not that different from Shoma Uno's - why? If you take a look at it, only two jumps were made in the first half of the program and 6 jump elements in the second half. He got a bonus for each of them.
Including two 3Lz, 3F, a three jump combination,
Yes, just two jump elements - 4T and a combination of 3A-2T - are in the first half of the program, so six out of eight were made after the second half started.
And all the jump elements were awarded positive GOE, no serious mistakes, that's why the technical mark is quite high, and I think the component score will be quite high as well.
So Adam Rippon is due to skate in France, in Paris, as for Jason Brown, we'll see this gorgeous program in the final GP competition, in Japan, at the end of November, in over a month. There he'll compete with a jumping machine Nathan Chen with his quads, Yuzuru Hanyu, Nam Nguen again, Russia will have Mikhail Kolyada. Rohene Ward, Kori Ade and Jason Brown... He gets 182 points and he beats everyone in his LP apart from Shoma, and he comes second overall, which means he has quite a good chance to get into the FGP.

Fayruza, thank you very, very much for this translation! I really appreciate the time you took to do it. It's great to find out that the Russian commentators had such a positive view of his program. Thank you!

TMC

Record Breaker
Fayruza, thank you very, very much for this translation! I really appreciate the time you took to do it. It's great to find out that the Russian commentators had such a positive view of his program. Thank you!

I second that, you're a star Fayruza! :clap:

Last edited:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Thank you so much - it's been a pleasure! :)
I have a suggestion - what if we open a new thread for Russian commentary translations, possibly Russian articles translations as well? I could do those - I could well keep up my translating skills in this way - way more interesting than usual stuff I get to do at work. But I'd really appreciate if people pointed out how my translations could be improved. :)
Not that I want to monopolise the field - if there's someone who could contribute translations too, that'd be cool!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Sorry to bump my request, but I really would like to hear more of Fedor's remarks about other skaters :) please...

We had a thread like this before and it was a fantastic idea! I would be interested in hearing some translations of Fedor Klimov's commentary from SA. Obviously it's too much to ask for anyone to translate all of his comments, but maybe just for the Russian pairs and men, at least?

TMC

Record Breaker
I have a suggestion - what if we open a new thread for Russian commentary translations, possibly Russian articles translations as well? I could do those - I could well keep up my translating skills in this way - way more interesting than usual stuff I get to do at work. But I'd really appreciate if people pointed out how my translations could be improved. :)
Not that I want to monopolise the field - if there's someone who could contribute translations too, that'd be cool!

There is already an article translation thread, but that has been quiet for a while :) IIRC, the idea there was that anybody could ask for translations of anything FS-related, but it was more about news than video commentaries.

I don't mind separate threads, but I'm afraid if a new thread was started for each language, most of them would kind of disappear as they wouldn't be updated so often?

I just watched Jason's skate on the TV and had your translation open on my computer so I could check what they said in real time. I enjoyed it so much, so thank you again!!!

There are only a few good Finnish language videos online - mostly featuring Kiira and Laura - but there's one very good quality video of Ashley's 2012 Worlds FS performance with great commentary. I might tackle that one this weekend!

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Sorry to bump my request, but I really would like to hear more of Fedor's remarks about other skaters :) please...

Could you just let me know which pairs and men you're interested in first and provide the links? Doing all of them is going to take some time - I gotta work too, sometimes!:biggrin:

Last edited:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
There is already an article translation thread, but that has been quiet for a while :) IIRC, the idea there was that anybody could ask for translations of anything FS-related, but it was more about news than video commentaries.

I don't mind separate threads, but I'm afraid if a new thread was started for each language, most of them would kind of disappear as they wouldn't be updated so often?

I just watched Jason's skate on the TV and had your translation open on my computer so I could check what they said in real time. I enjoyed it so much, so thank you again!!!

There are only a few good Finnish language videos online - mostly featuring Kiira and Laura - but there's one very good quality video of Ashley's 2012 Worlds FS performance with great commentary. I might tackle that one this weekend!

Ok, I'll carry on here - but I might have to edit my previous posts, to attach the videos to them as well. Possibly not today - have to check some of my students' translations now.
I really ought to learn to edit subtitles onto videos, perhaps... if I only had more time.
So if anyone wants anything translated from Russian, could you just get the link here or send a PM to me - and bear with me, it might take some time to get down to it, even if the actual translation is a matter of minutes, not hours.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, I'll carry on here - but I might have to edit my previous posts, to attach the videos to them as well. Possibly not today - have to check some of my students' translations now.
I really ought to learn to edit subtitles onto videos, perhaps... if I only had more time.
So if anyone wants anything translated from Russian, could you just get the link here or send a PM to me - and bear with me, it might take some time to get down to it, even if the actual translation is a matter of minutes, not hours.

thank you for your wonderful translations in this thread so far!:thank: I've often wished I could understand the Russian commentators.

Here's my request: Ashley Wagner's Skate America SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYQIeZxS0Sw&t=67s

Time-wise, please know that we understand you must work it in when you can. I'll try my best to be patient. :laugh:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How many times have you watched a skating video and wondered what the heck they are saying (mostly when they are speaking a language that you don't know; obviously it's not always clear what they mean even if you understand the words :biggrin:)

How about a thread where those of us who have the inclination & some time to waste can post transcripts/translations of videos for those of us who don't understand what the commentators are saying but would love to know - whether it's negative or positive. I think people would appreciate even just bits and pieces so the transcripts wouldn't even need to be very detailed (certainly not as detailed as mine below).

As the idea came from the Jason Brown fan fest thread, I can volunteer to start things off by copy-pasting a translation of Jason Brown's FS at 2015 Skate America as it was shown on Finnish TV. I did this just for fun for a friend. I don't have a video to accompany it, but it's something:

Great idea for a thread! I studied languages many years ago; one of the best things about translations IMO is the feeling you get for the culture, the way ideas are expressed and the way words are put together. I really, really enjoyed your translation from the Finnish of commentary on Jason's skate; and I look forward to your doing Ashley's 2012 FS.

:thank:

Last edited:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
EVGENI PLUSHENKO
Russian National Championship 2004 LP
(Nijinsky)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkhn4KbisJc&feature=youtu.be&t=5m17s

Attention, attention please, we urgently need some more kids to get the toys off the ice of the Ice Palace in St. Petersburg! We need a lot of kids! That's the tribute of respect to Evgeni Plushenko! And I dare say, of public love to him. The kids are rushed off their feet, they're crying and falling onto the ice, but they're still collecting the toys (an allusion to a well-known Russian joke here) while they can't see the score. I can't remember ever seeing anything like this. They could skip showing the routine slo-mo - it was just perfect. Evgeni Plushenko gave his 100 percent today, as always in St. Petersburg, he didn't let us down. Now girls will go crazy. Well, what else - he immersed himself in this work of art, one of the best in his career set to the music of violinist Edvin Marton, and he's used the best of his plasticity, ideas, finesse, calmness like never before, and everything has become clear

(It's when they wax poetic that translation turns into interpretation. Sorry about that!!!)

Last edited:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
thank you for your wonderful translations in this thread so far!:thank: I've often wished I could understand the Russian commentators.

Here's my request: Ashley Wagner's Skate America SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYQIeZxS0Sw&t=67s

Time-wise, please know that we understand you must work it in when you can. I'll try my best to be patient. :laugh:

OK, I'll do the whole of the video.

ASHLEY WAGNER
Skate America 2016 SP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYQIeZxS0Sw&t=67s

Grishin: (Ashley Wagner) who was brilliant in Boston is continuing to prove that even at the age of well over 20 she can compete with the jumping beans from Japan. Russian girls get called so too sometimes. Sweet Dreams, Eurythmics. Annie Lennox's wonderful voice, Dave Stuart's fantastic guitar. Wagner has power over all the 60 shades of any colour, not just grey.
(After Ashley lands her combination) Do you still keep saying Wagner underrotates? It was a clean combination.
(After Ashley finishes) Yes, have a look what energy and power Ashley has come up with! They reach us from Chicago over the Atlantic Ocean! When she's good, she's very-very good! Ashley Wagner - what a stunning routine! Well, who's the golden girl of the US figure skating now? We'll wait until the end of the current pre-Olympic season, but compared to Gold, Wagner is performing unbelievably well. You can't compare these two athletes at the moment - Gold is still inconsistent while Wagner is wonderful, she's getting better and better. That's what 'vivifying' Aratyunyan is doing. Fyodor, what's the expert's view? You should pick up your jaw, really!
Fyodor: Yes, yes, yes, I just went silent since I was enjoying it immensely, I didn't even try to analyse the program, I was just watching and taking delight in it. I loved everything, everything was pristine, I just point out how much she interacted with the audience, her emotional involvement.
Grishin: Two well-known female athletes jumping clockwise jumps - Ashley Wagner and Carolina Kostner. Wagner has nearly perfected her jumps, and she has nearly got rid of her underrotations. We'll see how things stand with Kostner who's been training with Mishin. In general, two gorgeous skaters from outside Russia are ready to prove that it's possible to show good results even at their age. Brilliant, it was a brilliant performance, excellent score, and she deserved it, I think. 69.50, she wins the SP - and no one doubted it, Ashley proved that she's better than anyone else on the first day of Skate America.

TMC

Record Breaker
"Wagner has power over all the 60 shades of any colour, not just grey."

Absolutely brilliant :laugh2:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
"Wagner has power over all the 60 shades of any colour, not just grey."

Absolutely brilliant :laugh2:

Grishin sees to it that we're being kept entertained all the time. Too much sometimes - I sometimes long to gag him! :laugh2:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Fayruza, me three for the Jason translation! :clap:

We have generous Japanese speaking fans in the Jason Fan Fest who share their translations with us, but unfortunately it does not appear we have enough Russian and this was a pleasure to read.

I am grateful for any help in Russian, I know "rassolnik" and "spasebo", which I use together at my favorite deli, and that's it!):laugh:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
(It's when they wax poetic that translation turns into interpretation. Sorry about that!!!)

No apology necessary! Thanks for doing it so quickly! :points:

And LOL, not that different from what I was thinking when watching! Although rather more eloquent. :biggrin:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
EVGENI PLUSHENKO
Russian National Championship 2004 LP
(Nijinsky)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkhn4KbisJc&feature=youtu.be&t=5m17s

Attention, attention please, we urgently need some more kids to get the toys off the ice of the Ice Palace in St. Petersburg! We need a lot of kids! That's the tribute of respect to Evgeni Plushenko! And I dare say, of public love to him. The kids are rushed off their feet, they're crying and falling onto the ice, but they're still collecting the toys (an allusion to a well-known Russian joke here) while they can't see the score. I can't remember ever seeing anything like this. They could skip showing the routine slo-mo - it was just perfect. Evgeni Plushenko gave his 100 percent today, as always in St. Petersburg, he didn't let us down. Now girls will go crazy. Well, what else - he immersed himself in this work of art, one of the best in his career set to the music of violinist Edvin Marton, and he's used the best of his plasticity, ideas, finesse, calmness like never before, and everything has become clear

thank you! amazing!

TMC

Record Breaker
Are there any Spanish-speakers who could translate some of the many videos from 2015 Worlds that can be found online?