2017 Russian Nationals Men's FS | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2017 Russian Nationals Men's FS

madison

Record Breaker
Hmm ... not sure if it would be wise (although it would be fair). Should the Russian Fed take the risk of burning out another great talent? And Kovtun would still receive much higher PCS than Samarin internationally and deservedly so. I would send Kovtun but it would be fair to send Samarin and that would probably not be good for Samarin in the long term.

I think it would be good for Samarin to go He is in great shape this year, next year one never knows.

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Mikhail KOLYADA 283.48 video
2 Alexander SAMARIN 259.74 video
3 Maxim KOVTUN 249.37 video
4 Andrei LAZUKIN 241.00 video
5 Dmitri ALIEV 240.69 video
6 Alexander PETROV 236.93 video
7 Sergei VORONOV 233.62 video
8 Artur DMITRIEV 226.77 video
9 Anton SHULEPOV 224.03 video
10 Alexey EROKHOV 216.80 video
11 Pavel VYUGOV 206.82 video
12 Ilia SKIRDA 200.39 video
13 Artem LEZHEEV 195.25 video
14 Ilia KNYAZHUK 189.47 video
15 Murad KURBANOV 188.38 video
16 Andrei ZUBER 177.93 video
17 Vladimir SAMOILOV 160.42 video

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Disappointing to see Sergei down in 7th. I think his programs are much improved this season.

Extremely happy for Mikhail. I LOVE him! :luv17:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think it would be good for Samarin to go He is in great shape this year, next year one never knows.
That's the thing, you want them consistent. But that's probably neither here nor there at this point. Russia wants 3 spots for the next Olympics, what's the better bet, Samarin or Kovtun? I think it's still Kovtun. But the decision might be easy to make after Europeans.
I'm glad that Kolyada nailed it, I got the feeling that he's the type who's going to be able to handle the pressure. And he's different, I like his artificial way of interpreting.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
On a related note, Lazukin is fourth! :clapper: I bet nobody predicted that. Maybe they will finally send him to an international competition now?

vorravorra

Record Breaker
That's the thing, you want them consistent. But that's probably neither here nor there at this point. Russia wants 3 spots for the next Olympics, what's the better bet, Samarin or Kovtun? I think it's still Kovtun. But the decision might be easy to make after Europeans.
I'm glad that Kolyada nailed it, I got the feeling that he's the type who's going to be able to handle the pressure. And he's different, I like his artificial way of interpreting.
What do you mean artificial way? :scratch3:

madison

Record Breaker

Yes, Kolyada is extrovert, seems to enjoy performing and being in the centre... now i am worrying about aliev. he is very talented but also very fragile :(.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
On a related note, Lazukin is fourth! :clapper: I bet nobody predicted that. Maybe they will finally send him to an international competition now?
lets hope it motivates him to be copnsistent & show all of them!!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
What do you mean artificial way? :scratch3:
He doesn't try to emote naturally, he's always overacting, overly sharp. His head and arm movements especially. I don't want to say that he isn't a natural skater, because the things he does look right, he just isn't a lyrical skater. He found a niche that fits him well at this point. I probably want to see more versatily from him in the years to come.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yes, I hope for a better range of programs in the future too, but right now for versatility you can watch his EX. It is very different to his competition programs, and apparently its whole goal was to show that Misha has range because the Fed did not want him to skate lyrical programs.

ETA: But you are right in the sense that Misha sees himself as an actor acting a role on the ice.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Euros definitely since Russia has 3 spot but for worlds they only have 2 so I will still go with Kovtun. Unfortunately Kovtun has PCS cussion over Samarin

Kovtun and Samarin received about equal PCS today....if Russia wants three spots for the Olympics, I think Samarin is more reliable than Kovtun. Kovtun probably has a higher score ceiling than Samarin at this point in their careers, but Kovtun is very prone to bombing and Samarin is not.

tyrolean skates

Rinkside
@psusanne: You mean artistical, do you??? "Artificial" means something very different, something that Kolyada - in my opinion!- is not at all :) - sometimes "overexpressive", yes, for sure. But I think that this is his own style - I like it and I am so happy he has nailed it today!
So, so sorry for Sergej - he would have deserved the Podium!!!! - he is such a smart and elegant skater, and a lovely Person - he has always been one of my favourites since I first saw him Skating which is now for sure ten years ago or even longer

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Hmm ... not sure if it would be wise (although it would be fair). Should the Russian Fed take the risk of burning out another great talent? And Kovtun would still receive much higher PCS than Samarin internationally and deservedly so. I would send Kovtun but it would be fair to send Samarin and that would probably not be good for Samarin in the long term.

I think Samarin is in contrast to Kovtun despite his age a stronger fighter. I do not see any risk to send him to senior international championships. Today however I enjoyed Kovtun much more.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Kovtun and Samarin received about equal PCS today....if Russia wants three spots for the Olympics, I think Samarin is more reliable than Kovtun. Kovtun probably has a higher score ceiling than Samarin at this point in their careers, but Kovtun is very prone to bombing and Samarin is not.

See, Jr. Worlds 2016 in Samarin's case. :/

That said, he's been improving his consistency this season.

Last edited: