Marissa Castelli & Mervin Tran | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Marissa Castelli & Mervin Tran

campgold

Rinkside
I haven't followed figure skating in many, many, many years but fairly recently have gotten back into it. I have always loved pair skating. When I decided to start following it again I of course looked into the US pairs teams. I knew nothing of Marissa and Mervin's previous partnerships. I watched videos of the US pairs teams on Youtube. Marissa and Mervin captivated me. They have this energy and chemistry about them that makes them fun and captivating to watch, even with mistakes. Not that the other US pairs teams aren't good and worth watching, but I have a special place for Mervissa! I think the fact that they are one of the newer partnerships only makes them more special to me, I love their story. Now I really hope they can get their elements more consistent this season.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While walking through the Skyway on the way to the arena (at Nationals in St. Paul), all of a sudden, I realized I was walking in back of Marissa and Mervin! She is so tiny but was wearing beautiful boots with really high heels. (Ha - I wanted to tell her to not sprain her ankle(s) ). I'm usually not at a loss for words but got so excited I couldn't even manage to say "Good luck!" I was so hoping they would get to skate at Worlds in Boston. Here's hoping they have a little better season this year. I am always so nervous when they do their sbs jumps! :drama:

campgold

Rinkside
Thanks for the welcome!

Is Marissa dating a former pairs skater?

I live in Colorado Springs and I so wanted to do a tour of the Olympic Training Center during Champs Camp in hopes of getting to catch a glimpse of them but I didn't :eek:hwell:

campgold

Rinkside
Just saw this...

U.S. Figure Skating ā€@USFigureSkating 5h5 hours ago
Exciting week...@StasiaRose/@ColinJMcManus are taking over on Instagram and @MarissaCastelli/@skate_moivo are taking over on Snapchat!

I checked and they haven't snapped yet, wonder when they will start.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just now had a chance to watch the Autumn Classic SP. They looked great. Please, please use this momentum going into the upcoming season. I SO want to see them do well.

campgold

Rinkside
Their short program looked great!! I agree, hope they use this as their momentum for the season. I'm just praying for a clean FS today from them! Did you see their huge smiles and hugs when they were done? So proud of them and they were proud of themselves!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Their short program looked great!! I agree, hope they use this as their momentum for the season. I'm just praying for a clean FS today from them! Did you see their huge smiles and hugs when they were done? So proud of them and they were proud of themselves!

Yes, you could just tell that the whole thing had such a positive "vibe" to it, and I was so happy for them!

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
OP updated with the videos we have so far this season and TSL's new interview. I'll update a bit more again after the Autumn Classic FS.

Good luck today! :hap10:

ETA: If anyone knows of a video of the SP at the Mid Atlantics competition a few weeks ago, please post it! I'm too much of a perfectionist to deal with missing info in my posts. :laugh:

Last edited:

campgold

Rinkside
OP updated with the videos we have so far this season and TSL's new interview. I'll update a bit more again after the Autumn Classic FS.

Good luck today! :hap10:

ETA: If anyone knows of a video of the SP at the Mid Atlantics competition a few weeks ago, please post it! I'm too much of a perfectionist to deal with missing info in my posts. :laugh:

This is the only one I have found from Mid Atlantics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx-HjDolsUA

campgold

Rinkside
I was hoping their momentum from the SP would have helped with their long but not today. It was a really rough program. I wonder how much his concussion and lack of practice had to do with it. It seems like they almost phsych themselves out of their long program's. They were struggling during the practice today too.

All that said I still love them and have faith that they will succeed in the future! I'm just hoping it's the near future!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was hoping their momentum from the SP would have helped with their long but not today. It was a really rough program. I wonder how much his concussion and lack of practice had to do with it. It seems like they almost phsych themselves out of their long program's. They were struggling during the practice today too.

All that said I still love them and have faith that they will succeed in the future! I'm just hoping it's the near future!

Oh darn - haven't had a chance yet to watch the FS, and now it'll take me awhile longer to be able to want to watch it. Was hoping that the magic of the SP would carry over into the FS. Still, I really LOVE them! Wishing them all the best!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes! Looks to me like Marissa and Mervin's partnership is really beginning to come together. There seems to have been a definite increase in their speed and ice coverage. Still a little shaky on the jumps, but in their short post-practice interview with TSL, they said that they have been working a lot on their jumps. Thank goodness! SBS jumps just really seem to be a problem for all the American teams, not just M & M. I really do love them though! Hope they do well tomorrow in the short program.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Yes! Looks to me like Marissa and Mervin's partnership is really beginning to come together. There seems to have been a definite increase in their speed and ice coverage. Still a little shaky on the jumps, but in their short post-practice interview with TSL, they said that they have been working a lot on their jumps. Thank goodness! SBS jumps just really seem to be a problem for all the American teams, not just M & M. I really do love them though! Hope they do well tomorrow in the short program.

Thanks, finally first practice report on pairs at Skate America! If you don't mind, could you write more about the pair practice that you saw? Glad to hear that Mervian and Marissa's partnership is getting stronger and stronger.

campgold

Rinkside
I'm cheering for them, especially for their free skate! I still just love watching them skate.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Darn. They had a slip on one of their lifts. John Coughlin explained the mechanics of it and what went wrong. Such a shame. Their jumps and speed have definitely improved. I want them to come roaring back in the FS!

Last edited:

sunn1ly

On the Ice
Such a pity for the lift. When the jumps were landed I thought they would be clean.
I really liked their short dance and I am crossing fingers for the FS.