"There will never be anyone like...!" | Page 3 | Golden Skate

"There will never be anyone like...!"

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy Abbott: Smooth edges, amazing footwork, personality, and musicality. True artist.

Wasn't he supposed to come back? Did that ever happen? I was never a crazy fan but I always really liked watching him compete. What's he up to?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wasn't he supposed to come back? Did that ever happen? I was never a crazy fan but I always really liked watching him compete. What's he up to?

He's been training and doing choreography on the side and shows, he's in Stars on Ice US tour this Spring, just did Stars on Ice Japan in January.
I'm sure he'll make up his mind about returning and make an announcement soon.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toller.

Without whom, none of the other men's skaters whose artistry has been lauded/complimented/talked about, would have been able to demonstrate those skills.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I can't remember if I mentioned him yet, but Robin Cousins. Because let's admit it, if it wasn't for him and Christopher Dean there would be no artistry. I loved Toller, but had he not skated then they would have been the reason (and ARE the reason for current skaters artistry that have already been complimented in this thread). Toller was one of the "fathers" of current artistry along with both Robin and Chris.

And since I've talked about Toller in this thread, I can't help but say Shawn Sawyer.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I didn't read thread as to be thoughtful and just think over decades. By country I'm thinking there will never be another plushenko who skated in 5 Olympics and managed two silvers one gold. Out of Europe there wil never be a John currry nor another Javier hailing from such a hot place and becoming so great. There will never be another Toller Cranston- unique among great Canadian men. Chan is very unique and made the sport bow to the beautiful skating skills.

There will never be another Scott Hamilton- scooter - all he did and is to the sport.

Last edited:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia

noskates

Record Breaker
Kurt Browning.

Gordeev and Grinkov

Michelle Kwan

Get lost in YouTube land sometime and watch what these skaters did. Performance was never higher!

Last edited:

yude

Record Breaker
I'm waiting for someone like Midori Ito appears, but I guess there will never be...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushyfan, I was worried about your health...

but I see, your face looks better now. Happy to see it.
About Cinquanta. OK, sorry, I should say, that I didn't check, whether we can trust that source or not. I just remembered the words, here is the link:
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/156079989.html
I hope it is possible not to start such discussions without a reason.

My health is OK !!! :) Don't worry

Last edited:

tzazu

Medalist
Gordeeva/Grinkov, Shen/Zhao in pairs
Daisuke Takahashi in men
Davis/White in ID
Michelle Kwan in ladies

Rossig

On the Ice
Torvill & Dean - great skating skills and incredible creativity not only in amateur, but also in their professional career, ahead of their times, the most versatile ice dancers ever.

maddiesparks

Rinkside
Based on sheer stats, I'm surprised no one has said Virtue/Moir.

What are the odds that two kids partnered together at 7 and 9 would actually stick it out together and become the youngest ice dance couple to win an OGM? To date, they've basically been skating together for 20 years. They were Junior World Champions, World Champions and Olympic Champions. I can't imagine we'll see a story or trajectory quite like theirs in a very long time (if ever).

lappo

Final Flight
Based on sheer stats, I'm surprised no one has said Virtue/Moir.

What are the odds that two kids partnered together at 7 and 9 would actually stick it out together and become the youngest ice dance couple to win an OGM? To date, they've basically been skating together for 20 years. They were Junior World Champions, World Champions and Olympic Champions. I can't imagine we'll see a story or trajectory quite like theirs in a very long time (if ever).

And GPF champions! I agree that their journey is really exceptional and their comeback has really spiced up ID. Their comeback, after so many successes, is really inspirational and their SP is my guilty pleasure! Ok, let's stop gushing! :biggrin:

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tai and Randy. After all these years I've not found a pair I like more. I could spend all day just watching her stroke around the ice.

Mm me too. - pair spirals, spread eagles into Ina Bauers and pull Arabians!

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
May I also submit Paul Wylie, Caryn Kadavy, Robin Cousins, Denise Biellmann and Stephane Lambiel!

Last edited:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
There will never be anything like the Virtue&Moir vs Davis&White rivalry.
But never say never:)