Past Ladies Olympic Gold Medal | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Past Ladies Olympic Gold Medal

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree it's not the same thing. What I meant it that would be also undeserving because I don't see her as an Olympic champion. I don't see her a record breaker World champion. I see her as someone whose artistry is similar to of a junior skater and whose jumps need adjustments just as a junior skater's. Exactly like Adelina. I think they are same level, except for the consistency. But it's easy to not fall when you're not trying to evolve.
So for me, Medvedeva winning should be just as unexpected but it won't be. because she's been manufactured to be the winner since she entered senior level.
Sotnikova had the advantage of her home crowd. I see a lot of people justifying her win saying "oh but the crowd was going nuts, they loved her skating, it was the skate of the night!"
Of course it was.... 🙄
I think after Midori, that was the worst robbed medal we've seen.

Sent from my Moto G using Golden Skate mobile app

Why don't you wait to see what her programs look like and how she performs and how others perform. If everyone goes clean then sure, it's worth a debate (as with Kim and Kostner). But if it's like last year's Worlds then Medvedeva winning would be fine.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I was 10 in 1998. I will maintain the rest of my life that Michelle was robbed.

I'll probably be complaining about this in the nursing home long after I've forgotten everything else about my life.

lanark

On the Ice
I was 10 in 1998. I will maintain the rest of my life that Michelle was robbed.

I'll probably be complaining about this in the nursing home long after I've forgotten everything else about my life.
😂 that's how I feel about Yuna Kim.
I guess every generation gets a disappointment to remember. 😂

People think we should just forget about it. But come on!
Everytime I watch Yuna's programs(which I do in a regular basis, obvs) I think "oh, the queen! 😍" and then I remember the queen was robbed!!!
It's sad! I swear I try to forget it, I try to remember that Yuna herself couldn't care less. I wish I had her peace of spirit. 😂

lanark

On the Ice
Why don't you wait to see what her programs look like and how she performs and how others perform. If everyone goes clean then sure, it's worth a debate (as with Kim and Kostner). But if it's like last year's Worlds then Medvedeva winning would be fine.
Yes, I've been waiting for her to get the scores according to how she skates and how others skate. It's been a couple of years now and I'm still waiting...
I don't see anything changing. I don't see her improving. I don't see judges doing their job.
So you can see why I'm already disillusioned.
But, I've said this before and I'll say it again: this season has barely started and I hope she changes and be amazing: the best skater in the world as she's supposed to be.

And I hope this 2018 Olympics doesn't bring yet another awful scandal to figure skating.

Let's pray. 😂

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Weirdly, because B of P talked about '88, I had a flashback. As a Canadian I never thought Liz Manley should win the OGM in Calgary. I have always felt that Witt won fair and square. That's my memory..but hey it's nearly 30 years ago. I do remember hating the B/B program winning and crying over G/G winning gold because I love them so much. I really wanted Orser to win but Brian Boitano was better that night.

As an early skating enthusiast during Calgary, Witt's LP looked like a craft gone bad as compared to Manley and Ido, but judges loved her and assured her a win. Let's hope that 2018 has less predictability and results are more reflective of actual efforts.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I am talking about figure skating.
Unfortunately or not, figure skating is a sport that anyone can watch and give their opinion. I watch Medvedeva winning undeserved medals and I, as a human being who don't appreciate injustices, get angry about it. If you don't get angry about injustices, you're lucky for being so enlightened! ✌️ I'm yet to find that kind of patience.
I have the right to speak my mind. Sorry if that offend Medvedeva fans.

Also, I'm not Korean, I'm not Japanese, I'm not American, I'm not Russian(obvs).
People are so quick to judge... Just because I talk about Russian corruption they think I'm a "YouTube guerrilla from a certain country) 🙄

I'm a huge fan of Yuna Kim indeed. She's my favorite skater ever. For me, she's a living legend. Kwan is a legend.
Mao is a legend. And Medvedeva.............. Just an average skater.

If you don't agree with me, fine.
I don't tell what people should or should not say about figure skating or how they should feel.

Also, I called her spoiled because she's been spoiled by judges and that is noticeable. Just watch her reaction when she doesn't get an world record.
I meant no disrespect to her as a person. I never speak about skaters in a personal way. At least I don't mean to, maybe I did because English is not my mother language. In that case, sorry if I have offended her.
I'm not an actual hater. I don't want her to fall and fail and die lol 😂
I just wish she would fix her jumps, evolve as a skater and actually deserve all the points she gets.

You may disagree with me, but don't assume I'm an angry "Yuna fan". 🙄

Saying 'otherwise spoiled Medvedeva won't be satisfied' is not talking about figure skating.
I did not say you were a Yuna fan. I did not say you cannot express your opinion about figure skating, either. So, no need to act as if I said any of those things.

If you want to keep talking about Medvedeva's figure skating in a thread about past Olympic gold medalists, be my guest. But please try to be a little mature about it.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Can we please have an emoticon added for "bee in a bonnet" because there is certainly someone here who could do with one...

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Not everyone has to like all skaters. By all means, we all have our favourites, who we want to win and those, who we don't really care about. What amazes me is when people cannot be objective about the results. For example I am not much of a fan of Anna Pogorilaya, but when she medals and skates well I am not going to deny she deserved it. Would I have liked if Elena Radionova was on the world 2016 podium instead of her? Yes. Does that mean I think Anna didn't deserve the bronze? Absolutely no. Just because I personally don't like a skater for whatever reason, does not make me think they don't deserve to have accomplished what they have accomplished or make me be rude towards them.

This makes it hard for me to understand the Evgenia bashing. You don't like tanos, backloading, Averbukh programs, miming etc - that's fine. But there is no denying that objectively she has deserved all her wins. I wasn't yet a fan of hers in 2016 and wasn't all that happy when she won over my other favourites, but no denying that she won fair and square. Some things you have to accept, even if it wasn't how you wanted them to be.

Of course there are events like Sochi 2014 and some wins/scores, which were controversial (otherwise the topic wouldn't still be popping up every now and then) and by all means discussion about these things is welcome, but if we want to keep discussing stuff we should at least do it in a civilized manner without insulting the skaters. I hope to one day see a discussion about Sochi or Medvedeva or other controversial topics, where no skater is flat out insulted.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I see her as someone whose artistry is similar to of a junior skater and whose jumps need adjustments just as a junior skater's. Exactly like Adelina. I think they are same level, except for the consistency.

Adelina did not have juniorish jumps. She may have had the biggest jumps in Sochi.

lanark

On the Ice
Adelina did not have juniorish jumps. She may have had the biggest jumps in Sochi.
Well, from the videos I've watched, Yuna had perfect jumping technique which made her jumps pretty big. Her 3-3 is specially amazing. The best.
The only problem she had was with the Lutz in her FS which was under rotated. But still, overall, she had better jumps than Adelina.
If you think Adelina had the biggest jumps in Sochi maybe you should watch the competition again.
Adelina had so many problems with her jumps, all sorts of problems. You just cannot compare her jumps to Yuna's. It's like comparing a Junior skater to a legend. And I'm not bashing on her. She did skate amazing for her standards. She did put up an exciting presentation for her home crowd. But it was not worthy of a gold Olympic medal imo.
Had she won maybe a third place, no one would've minded and it would be a HUGE achievement for her! Although it would still be a little strange for her to come from 9th place in Worlds 2013 to 3rd in the Olympics in just a few months. But, still plausible since the other skaters didn't pull off their best *insert Asada here* ☹️
Sotnikova was having a nice, slowly rising FS career. And then, all of the sudden, she gets a gold medal that she didn't deserve. I think that made more harm than good to her. Specially because she didn't keep going, she didn't keep winning medals. And now she's supposed to defend her Olympic title but she won't because of injury. And if she were to go to PC I doubt she would pull it off.
So, after Sochi is kind of like Adelina Just went downhill really... She didn't win a medal at WC, not before nor after Sochi.
Isn't it a little strange and extremely rare a FS Olympic Champion not having a WC title??
Anyway, watch it again, her jumps are far from "Olympic champion" like and more close to "Junior champion" like.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well, from the videos I've watched, Yuna had perfect jumping technique which made her jumps pretty big. Her 3-3 is specially amazing. The best.
The only problem she had was with the Lutz in her FS which was under rotated. But still, overall, she had better jumps than Adelina.
If you think Adelina had the biggest jumps in Sochi maybe you should watch the competition again.
Adelina had so many problems with her jumps, all sorts of problems. You just cannot compare her jumps to Yuna's. It's like comparing a Junior skater to a legend.

Size and overall quality are not the same thing. I said Adelina had the biggest jumps in response to you calling her jumps "juniorish". It would be like arguing that Mao is the fastest skater because she's a legend. Yes, she's a legend, but she's also not the fastest skater.

lanark

On the Ice
Size and overall quality are not the same thing. I said Adelina had the biggest jumps in response to you calling her jumps "juniorish". It would be like arguing that Mao is the fastest skater because she's a legend. Yes, she's a legend, but she's also not the fastest skater.
Of course. Each has its merits.
But I still don't see her as the one with the biggest jumps.
And also, for me, what is the good of a high jump if it has wrong edge or it is pre-rotated? I'd rather have a correct jump than an incorrect jump with great height.
One thing I could praise Adelina for was her crazy spins. It did traveled a bit, but she had great flexibility.
Yuna never had the best spins and certainly she didn't have the best spins in Sochi. But they're definitely good enough.
I don't think Adelina's jumps were good enough though, her jumps were her weakest points imo, together with her lack of artistry.
But then again artistry can be very subjective. Except when you just can't deny a skater's maturity, skating skills, interpretation, choreography, quality of edges and etc. Which is basically Yuna's case. I doubt someone would dare saying Kim didn't have the goods for a great PCS. Her FS for me is the epitome of artistry in figure skating.
Kostner is another great artist, she was marvellous in her FS. The short I wasn't a huge fan of, but it was beautiful.
When you compare Adelina's short to Kostner's or Yuna's it just... You cannot.
Again, it's like comparing a "Junior" to a legend.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Completely true........She had them when I saw her in 2012 at Skate America. She was also a great performer especially during her SP. She landed a big 3toe/3toe right in front of us and it had height and distance. She had a fire about her that was engaging and she was a crowd favorite.

lanark

On the Ice
Completely true........She had them when I saw her in 2012 at Skate America. She was also a great performer especially during her SP. She landed a big 3toe/3toe right in front of us and it had height and distance. She had a fire about her that was engaging and she was a crowd favorite.

She landed a big 3T 3T and got a 0.70 GOE.:scratch3:
Yuna had a more difficult combination (her flawless 3Lutz 3 toe) at 2009 Skate America with 10.00 bv and she had a 2.20 GOE.

From where I see it, it doesn't matter the occasion you can never compare Yuna with Adelina.

Just the fact that Adelina had a 30pts inflation in just a few months is already nonsense.
She went from 116.36 in Worlds to 149.95 in Sochi, more than the 148.34 Yuna got for her PERFECT program in 2013.
Now you watch both performances and tell me that you honestly think they were at the same level.
Better yet, watch Yuna's 2010 Olympics FS and tell me that Adelina deserved coming so close to Yuna's record.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Adelina's jumps were very good, she just had a small problem with the lutz edge and was only able to do proper Toeloop combinations on the end of easier jumps. Whenever she tried 3Lutz+3Toe, it was always underrotated. She was able to do a solid 3Lutz+3Loop, but it wasn't consistent when her body matured past Juniors (although she did do it at the GPF that season). I wish she had tried it at the Olympics, because if she had done it then I would say she deserved the Gold medal. But that's not what happened.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
<snip>

This makes it hard for me to understand the Evgenia bashing. You don't like tanos, backloading, Averbukh programs, miming etc - that's fine. But there is no denying that objectively she has deserved all her wins. I wasn't yet a fan of hers in 2016 and wasn't all that happy when she won over my other favourites, but no denying that she won fair and square. Some things you have to accept, even if it wasn't how you wanted them to be.

<snip>

This suits my feelings perfectly.

I find Evgenia boring and uninspiring. I also find her to be the class of the ladies field.

I expect she'll win the OGM. I expect she'll deserve it. Whether I can make myself watch such a blah event is another question.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Everyone must know for a fact that Adelina Sotnikova ranks at the top of most deserved wins of a figure skating competion in all of fs history.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Please elaborate.

People are always like Denise Beilman robbed in 1980! Tiffany chin robbed in 1984, midori ito robbed in 1988, Janet Lynn robbed in 1972. So Sotnikova is the revenge of all the people who lost because people with greater reputations beat stunning performances !