Past Ladies Olympic Gold Medal | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Past Ladies Olympic Gold Medal

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
People are always like Denise Beilman robbed in 1980! Tiffany chin robbed in 1984, midori ito robbed in 1988, Janet Lynn robbed in 1972. So Sotnikova is the revenge of all the people who lost because people with greater reputations beat stunning performances !

Yeah but it came at the expense of Kim never getting her Olympic gold medal! I would be way less outraged had she, say, won an OGM 4 years prior. But I think the never ending criticism of that 2014 event stems back to 2010 when Kim most definitely did not already win a gold medal. :p

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People are always like Denise Beilman robbed in 1980! Tiffany chin robbed in 1984, midori ito robbed in 1988, Janet Lynn robbed in 1972. So Sotnikova is the revenge of all the people who lost because people with greater reputations beat stunning performances !

Kind of like a Robin Hood type...lol. I can see why someone would get behind that narrative although...I'm not certain that really makes the case for most deserved win.

Me personally...I never really saw Yuna or Adelina as a definitive winner. Either way the judges went I would have been fine with although I think Caro may have won on my score sheet and deserves a mention herself :yes:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kind of like a Robin Hood type...lol. I can see why someone would get behind that narrative although...I'm not certain that really makes the case for most deserved win.

Me personally...I never really saw either Yuna or Adelina as a definitive winner. Either way the judges went I would have been fine with although I think Caro may have won on my score sheet and deserves a mention herself :yes:

Kostner won Sochi in my books too. It's just that she doesn't have the most vocal fans so people forget that she went clean with 7 triples herself. Certainly if it was 6.0 (and outside of Russia), Kostner could have very well won.

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Kostner won Sochi in my books too. It's just that she doesn't have the most vocal fans so people forget that she went clean with 7 triples herself. Certainly if it was 6.0 (and outside of Russia), Kostner could have very well won.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

I never felt that Adelina should have won gold but, in my opinion, it's Carolina who was robbed, not Yuna.

That said, all three medalists skated well... it was not the controversy that so many (mostly Yuna ubers) claim.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

I agree--Caro also won Sochi for me.

It's funny. I remember the main point big name spectators or commentators brought up to justify why Adelina won over Yuna was that she did more triples... but never mentioned that Carolina also did a 7 triple program and did it more cleanly than Sotnikova.

Ultimately, I think Sochi produced the wrong result but I'm not too bothered by it. Yuna couldn't have cared less after winning gold in Vancouver, Russia got a new hero in Adelina, and Carolina finally had the Olympic moment (and medal!) that she'd been chasing since Torino (and also proved that it's possible for women to remain competitive at the approximate age of 83).

And she's still going! TBH, I wish the Italian federation had the pockets to cheat her way to the gold in 2018. :dev2:

A boy can dream. #Go4TheGoldCaro :dance3:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So if Caro was 83 in Sochi by your maths...how old will she be at the next Olympics? :shocked:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everyone must know for a fact that Adelina Sotnikova ranks at the top of most deserved wins of a figure skating competion in all of fs history.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it was certainly one of my very favorite Olympic moments.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Caro was the only one IMO that had claim to beating Yuna that night, if she had won and Yuna got silver, would there have been a massive outrage?

blargmonster

Rinkside
I agree--Caro also won Sochi for me.

It's funny. I remember the main point big name spectators or commentators brought up to justify why Adelina won over Yuna was that she did more triples... but never mentioned that Carolina also did a 7 triple program and did it more cleanly than Sotnikova.

Ultimately, I think Sochi produced the wrong result but I'm not too bothered by it. Yuna couldn't have cared less after winning gold in Vancouver, Russia got a new hero in Adelina, and Carolina finally had the Olympic moment (and medal!) that she'd been chasing since Torino (and also proved that it's possible for women to remain competitive at the approximate age of 83).

And she's still going! TBH, I wish the Italian federation had the pockets to cheat her way to the gold in 2018. :dev2:

A boy can dream. #Go4TheGoldCaro :dance3:

I feel like the reason is despite having 7 triples, Carolina Kostner did not do a triple triple, repeated the two easiest triples and had only one 2A. Her SP was also technically less challenging than Yuna's (so was Adelina's even more so). Idk, I feel like Yuna displayed the best overall package amongst the top 3.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Yeah but it came at the expense of Kim never getting her Olympic gold medal! I would be way less outraged had she, say, won an OGM 4 years prior. But I think the never ending criticism of that 2014 event stems back to 2010 when Kim most definitely did not already win a gold medal. :p

:yes: I've always felt bad for Kim... living under Asada's shadow for most of her career

mrrice

Record Breaker
She landed a big 3T 3T and got a 0.70 GOE.:scratch3:
Yuna had a more difficult combination (her flawless 3Lutz 3 toe) at 2009 Skate America with 10.00 bv and she had a 2.20 GOE.

From where I see it, it doesn't matter the occasion you can never compare Yuna with Adelina.

Just the fact that Adelina had a 30pts inflation in just a few months is already nonsense.
She went from 116.36 in Worlds to 149.95 in Sochi, more than the 148.34 Yuna got for her PERFECT program in 2013.
Now you watch both performances and tell me that you honestly think they were at the same level.
Better yet, watch Yuna's 2010 Olympics FS and tell me that Adelina deserved coming so close to Yuna's record.

This is true and if you read my post you'd see that I didn't mention Yuna at all. Unfortunately, I have never seen Yuna perform live and she wasn't at Skate America. My comment is regarding Adelina who IMO, had huge jumps and was a great performer. I'd like to add that Adelina didn't even win Skate America when I went. She beaten by Ashley and Christina Gao.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I feel like the reason is despite having 7 triples, Carolina Kostner did not do a triple triple, repeated the two easiest triples and had only one 2A. Her SP was also technically less challenging than Yuna's (so was Adelina's even more so). Idk, I feel like Yuna displayed the best overall package amongst the top 3.

Caro's artistry surely made up for her tech shortcomings. TBH the only thing I can put against her (after a re-watching all top three) is her telegraphing jumps. So in the end I think Yuna should have won. Adelina was a very deserving bronze medallist or even a winner due to home advantage but by a small margin...

If to go only by the amount of triples then Sasha should have won over Shizuka - both landed 5 triples in LP but Sasha attempted two more (with a fall and a step out)

lanark

On the Ice
I agree.
I feel that specially in the short, the margin shouldn't have been so small between Yuna and the rest.
Adelina's short was a joke compared to Yuna's perfect, beautiful, touching, musical, filled with textbook jumps Send in the Clowns.
Kostner, sure, could've been in second because of her PCS, but her jumps were pretty mild compared to Yuna's.
In the long Kostner was definitely as good as Yuna artistically. But I think Yuna still would've won the long over Kostner's.
It should've been Yuna 1, Kostner 2 and Adelina 3(If they wanted a home cooked medal).
It would've been just fine, no one would've minded. Maybe the Americans would've been a little angry because of Gracie Gold. But I don't know about Gold... I should watch it again but I don't know if she was better than Sotnikova...

Sent from my Moto G using Golden Skate mobile app

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Adelina's short was a joke compared to Yuna's perfect, beautiful, touching, musical, filled with textbook jumps Send in the Clowns.
Kostner, sure, could've been in second because of her PCS, but her jumps were pretty mild compared to Yuna's

Based on the jump scores only, the SP rankings were: Yuna, Carolina, Adelina. However, the SP score is comprised of more than three jumping passes. Adelina is, unquestionably, the best spinner of the three, and those points help close the gap.

lanark

On the Ice
This is true and if you read my post you'd see that I didn't mention Yuna at all. Unfortunately, I have never seen Yuna perform live and she wasn't at Skate America. My comment is regarding Adelina who IMO, had huge jumps and was a great performer. I'd like to add that Adelina didn't even win Skate America when I went. She beaten by Ashley and Christina Gao.
I agree Adelina is a great performer. She is a very fiery skater, very passionate. It is a crowd pleaser. But that's it.

She reminds me a bit of Wagner. Wagner focuses a lot on her performance and sometimes can get lost in the tech elements. Although I think Wagner has evolved on that aspect.

Same thing happens with Kostner. I think she gets so caught up in her "show" that she loses focus and always ends up making some mistake.

It is difficult to balance a great exciting performance(in terms of interacting with the crowd, raising the roof, that kind of thing) with perfect jumps.
Of course the audience's excitement is achieved by many ways.
For instance, in 2013 Worlds Yuna had what I think was one of the most premature standing ovations ever. Lol
When she nailed the last jump of the program the crowd got on their feet. They were going nuts.
But the program itself was not "flashy" or too interactive with the audience I think, which is more Adelina's style imo. And I very much like that style, it is fun to watch. But it should come accompanied by good technical elements as well, otherwise is just a great performance not a great full package skate.

Sent from my Moto G using Golden Skate mobile app

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Caro was the only one IMO that had claim to beating Yuna that night, if she had won and Yuna got silver, would there have been a massive outrage?

If Adelina had won by one point would there be "massive" outrage? (I don't think there was ever "massive" outrage over this result, but we can assume for the sake of argument that there was). I have heard from casual fans (Olympics-only) that they thought the result was correct as it was. Yuna skated well but it wasn't her best, both in terms of program and performance. Adios Nonino is kind of a downer as far as music is concerned. The Olympics is different from other competitions in terms of scoring. Judges are influenced by the audience reaction or even the reaction of a skater (see Tara's scream in 1998). I think everyone should just let this result go. Yuna is a deserving Olympic gold medalist, two-time World Champion and multiple-time medalist. That should be enough for her fans and her legacy.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree Adelina is a great performer. She is a very fiery skater, very passionate. It is a crowd pleaser. But that's it.

Actually, that isn't true. She has huge jumps, excellent spins and good skating skills. Her main problem throughout her career was consistency.

lanark

On the Ice
Yuna skated well but it wasn't her best, both in terms of program and performance. Adios Nonino is kind of a downer as far as music is concerned. The Olympics is different from other competitions in terms of scoring. Judges are influenced by the audience reaction or even the reaction of a skater (see Tara's scream in 1998). I think everyone should just let this result go. Yuna is a deserving Olympic gold medalist, two-time World Champion and multiple-time medalist. That should be enough for her fans and her legacy.

The music choice from Yuna was definetely problematic in terms of crowd pleasing. I think that's also one of the reasons why some people think Kostner should've won the long program, because her music was way more "acceptable" and perhaps more easy to digest than Adios Nonino. It was the same problem when Yuna skated to Kiss of the vampire.
And to make things worse, Yuna was the last to skate. The Russians were simply waiting for her performance to end so they could scream their country's name. And also, I think they were wishing Yuna would fall.... lol
In one of the videos I watched, a fancam, there was a guy who screamed "AH!" during Yuna's jumps. :shocked: It was nonsense, it was very distracting. It was like he was waiting for her to go into the jump so he could try and disturb her. :noshake: There was no explanation for him to scream like that in that moment when everyone was silent waiting for her jump, as you do. I'm glad Yuna has nerves of steel... :luv17:

I think Yuna wasn't indeed on her best. She had an injury previous to the OG, she pratically did not compete during Olympic season. And once again, I'm glad she had nerves of steel, because even under those circumstances she did brought her A game. It was as good as 2010 imo. I actually love her 2014 FS more than her 2010 FS. I think Adios Nonino is amazingly well put together, the choreography is probably one of David Wilson's best ever. And he himself has said that only Yuna could perform to that program. That music is extremely difficult to skate to. The nuances are too deep, only a skater like Yuna, with unmatched musicality, could perform so perfectly with the music like that.
It's a shame some people don't appreciate the difficulty of her FS artistry.

And then to make everything perfect, she had great technical elements.
It was a gold winning performance.