2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating

da96103

Record Breaker
It's great strategy from Nathan. With this SP, he's showing that he has artistry and performance quality to compete with the best. He still needs to include the 3A in the program. But getting the choreo and performance qualities first is wise; I have full confidence he can work the jumps in as the season progresses. Then, in the FS, where he was criticized last year for doing so many quads (ha ha!), which do require a few more seconds of prep, he can work on getting entrances and exits with more complexity. There's lots of room for the FS to grow and develop.

If someone can escape from copyright monster, I can at least watch NC's programs. They are always blocked when I click on them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thanks, putting a side note for him. Will watch out for him during the ISU competitions. Hopefully he lands one at the GPs.

just mentioned it because if once counts events like challengers, why not nationals? it's not a score here... it's just a jump in competition... and it was landed... anyhow, your list, your ways :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If someone can escape from copyright monster, I can at least watch NC's programs. They are always blocked when I click on them.

I haven't had any trouble. Try these links, I hope they work for you.
Japan Open gala (last week-end) which is Nathan's SP, "Nemesis" this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_jIoYv8c0E
Japan Open competition, his FS "Mao's Last Dancer" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxLIO5xZjc8

The following are the same 2 programs, but you can see their progression. These were performed mid-September at Int'l Classic in SLC:

SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4KAcZLbEbM&t=23s
FS starts at 1:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NejdonImvKg

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It's great strategy from Nathan. With this SP, he's showing that he has artistry and performance quality to compete with the best. He still needs to include the 3A in the program.

He did a beautiful 3A in the SP at the U.S. Classic. (And in the free there. And in the free at the Japan Open).

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
He did a beautiful 3A in the SP at the U.S. Classic. (And in the free there. And in the free at the Japan Open).

Yep, in fact the 3A is his most consistent jump so far! :rofl2: (I hope I didn't jinx him.)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yes, I saw those. What I meant was that he needs to work it in amongst all the difficult and demanding choreography of Nemesis, for the program to reach the artistic heights that he achieved in this performance... which reflected such intensity and abandon at the same time, as shine said, above.

Tahuu

On the Ice
As the first GP Rostelecom is going to start next week, let's look at

2017/2018 Pre-GP Quad Progress

US CLASSIC
Nathan Chen: 4Lo GOE +1.60 Nathan becomes the fourth person to do the 4Lo (after Krasnozhon, Hanyu and Uno) *. This also means Nathan has successfully executed all 5 non-axel quads. Will be awaiting for all five to appear in one long program.
Yaroslav Paniot: 4F GOE +1.00 Yaroslav becomes the third person to do the 4F (after Uno and Nathan)
Daniel Samohin: 4Lo carrot fall

*Nic Nadeau has landed 4Lo at Canadian Nationals 2017 earlier.

Comparison of Shoma, Yuzuru and Nathan's 4Lo. Note the underrotations. There are two clear forward landings. https://twitter.com/corszk1220/status/918802501347848193.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
ONDREJ NEPELA
Alexander Samarin: 4Lz carrot fall
Mikhail Kolyada: 4Lz fall
Mikhail Kolyada: 4Lz GOE +2.00 Mikhail becomes the 4th person to do the 4Lo (after Mroz, Jin and Chen) He now has three different non-axel quads, missing 4F and 4Lo.
Alexander Samarin: 4Lz double carrot fall
[/COLOR]

So that's it folks. If I am missing someone in the seniors or those in the junior competition, please let me know.

Vincent Zhou also nailed his 4Z at Junior Worlds. :)

Dmitri Aliev also landed a 4Z+3T, albeit in a domestic competition.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Apparently Samarin landed a good quad lutz at a competition in Russia this week. (I haven't watched the video).

discombobulated

Rinkside
Patrick Chan. So many Canadian men have been the best in the world but it would be really nice to see one finally win the elusive Olympic gold. But more importantly, I love the beautiful skating and artistry. Every time Patrick takes the ice and skates cleanly, it is a magical and memorable moment. Hopefully, he has one of those in Pyeongchang. Maybe he missed that moment that was his in Sochi, I guess we will have to wait and see but as I always say, it is the Olympics, therefore, expect the unexpected. Anything can and will likely happen. Also have a soft spot for Javi. He just seems to enjoy what he is doing so much and that makes it a joy to watch. The men's discipline is the marquis event in my opinion. I certainly hope this competition is not as challenging to watch as 2010 or 2014 Both Vancouver and Sochi left me feeling disappointed with the overall skating. Regardless of my favourites, I really want to see a good competition from everyone.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
My dream podium:
1 Javier
2 Boyang
3 Shoma
4 Yuzuru
5 Chen
6 Chan
By when reality will struck my podium will turn into ashes. Other dream, I hope Roman Sadovsky skates well and goes to Olympics, though with 2 spots....what if both Nam and Roman beat Patric at nationals. Unfortunately, judges might not allow this to happen unless they are replaced with robots.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My dream podium:
1 Javier
2 Boyang
3 Shoma
4 Yuzuru
5 Chen
6 Chan
By when reality will struck my podium will turn into ashes. Other dream, I hope Roman Sadovsky skates well and goes to Olympics, though with 2 spots....what if both Nam and Roman beat Patric at nationals. Unfortunately, judges might not allow this to happen unless they are replaced with robots.

Patrick (with a K) is clearly the best skater in Canada. Even if he finished 17th at Nationals, I think Skate Canada would send him to the games. It is just the most sensible thing to do. You do not keep at home, a 3 times world champion, 2 times silver olympic medallist to favour who???? Roman? I love Roman.... but he is one of the most erratic skaters in Canada right now, capable of the best but also of the worse.

Nationals will be tough to earn that second spot but trust me, Patrick has already secured his ticket to the games. However, it's not like he will not fight to win it fair and square as he really wants his 10th National title.

I just don't understand why anyone would wish to keep Patrick out of the team... why? He is the best male skater and by far, Canada has had in years.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Patrick (with a K) is clearly the best skater in Canada. Even if he finished 17th at Nationals, I think Skate Canada would send him to the games. It is just the most sensible thing to do. You do not keep at home, a 3 times world champion, 2 times silver olympic medallist to favour who???? Roman? I love Roman.... but he is one of the most erratic skaters in Canada right now, capable of the best but also of the worse.

Nationals will be tough to earn that second spot but trust me, Patrick has already secured his ticket to the games. However, it's not like he will not fight to win it fair and square as he really wants his 10th National title.

I just don't understand why anyone would wish to keep Patrick out of the team... why? He is the best male skater and by far, Canada has had in years.

:clap:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, Canada has no fully consistent skater, maybe except Steven Gogolev:laugh:
Nam is on a positive trend, but Roman, Nicolas, Kevin can all be awesome or marred by mistakes. Patrick is the best in Canada, but I don't think he can be close to the podium, unless we have an implosion of all youngsters, which is improbable.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Unfortunately, Canada has no fully consistent skater, maybe except Steven Gogolev:laugh:
Nam is on a positive trend, but Roman, Nicolas, Kevin can all be awesome or marred by mistakes. Patrick is the best in Canada, but I don't think he can be close to the podium, unless we have an implosion of all youngsters, which is improbable.

but do you sincerely think that the other Canadian skaters are more reliable or consistent than Patrick? Really? Sorry to break it to you but Stephen is far from getting close to Patrick's scores.... even when Patrick misses a few jumps.... I am sorry, perhaps i am overreacting but your post just woke me up while i was passing out on the couch.... the only reason why someone wouldn't want Patrick at the games is ? what is it actually??? I recognize we all have our favourites but this is like saying that Javi shouldn't go to Olympics because... erm... let's see... oh well... Spain needs new skaters... ???

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Please tell me this is a huge joke on your part. If you truly believe this, then that is sad. Yes maybe those men will be the future but not until at least 2022 if even then.
You also discount Keegan Messing and others from your theory. :palmf: I'll just be over here :laugh::popcorn:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Stephen may be the most consistent man in Canada right now but his age isn't going to let him go to Junior Worlds, let alone the Olympics. It's going to be Patrick (unless he's injured) + whoever shows up ready on the GP and at Nationals. The worst situation would be if we have skaters do well on the GP and fall apart at Nationals, or vice versa. Then things will get complicated and some fans will be angry about whoever's chosen. For its part Skate Canada has some clearly defined criteria for selecting skaters for the Olympics.

da96103

Record Breaker
Vincent Zhou also nailed his 4Z at Junior Worlds. :)

Dmitri Aliev also landed a 4Z+3T, albeit in a domestic competition.

Of course Vincent did 4Lz. I was the one that make the post to announce him as the 4th skater to do the 4Lz last season. Silly me. The summer hibernation had wiped out my memory. This makes Mikhail the 5th person to do the 4Lz.

Will put a side note for Aliev.

Thank you.