2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Question, is Patrick skating at a challenger series competition? I know Shoma, Javi, Nathan, Yuzu already did theirs and Jin is skating next.

Also, do you think the top 6 this Olympic cycle is going to be the same as last year's resulting top 6? Anyone you think might have a chance of cracking into the top?

I think all the medalists will come from last year's top six, but the top six at the Olympics might be different by one or two people.

the new Q&A from BOrser after ACI
https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/post/166007226014/brian-orser-interview-post-aci-2017109-aera

now we know why Yuzu meltdown in the FS, it's becouse there were not anough quads *side eyeing Yuzu so hard*

He's something else, and I mean that in a good way.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
There is no time to play in the Olympic season.
Each athlete is trying a difficult jump while thinking the risk of injury. It makes no sense to tell a story without realities.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So Yuzu's quad lutz aside (which I hope he will do successfully)...

* I'd love to see Jason Brown conquer his quad demons, get on the Olympic team and perhaps surprise with a top six finish. That only requires beating one of the "top 6." from Worlds.
* I'd love to see Jorik Hendrckx get a top 10 showing, like Peter Liebers did in '14 (speaking of which, I hope we get to see him in fine form again; I enjoy seeing him do well in Sochi).
*I'd love to see a decent showing from Julian Yee! If nothing else, for his skates to go viral and get the love of the Internets.
* I'd also like to see Nobu get out of retirement and get a spot on the Japanese team; I think he has a good chance as anybody... (okay that is my wistful thinking...but at least I get to see him at Japan Open...YAY!)
* I hope to see a good competition with satisfying skates from all the competitors.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ Liebers was wonderful at ACI !!!! He certainly can do well again this time around!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
So Yuzu's quad lutz aside (which I hope he will do successfully)...

* I'd love to see Jason Brown conquer his quad demons, get on the Olympic team and perhaps surprise with a top six finish. That only requires beating one of the "top 6." from Worlds.
* I'd love to see Jorik Hendrckx get a top 10 showing, like Peter Liebers did in '14 (speaking of which, I hope we get to see him in fine form again; I enjoy seeing him do well in Sochi).
*I'd love to see a decent showing from Julian Yee! If nothing else, for his skates to go viral and get the love of the Internets.
* I'd also like to see Nobu get out of retirement and get a spot on the Japanese team; I think he has a good chance as anybody... (okay that is my wistful thinking...but at least I get to see him at Japan Open...YAY!)
* I hope to see a good competition with satisfying skates from all the competitors.

Oda keeps teasing us with beautiful programs and quads and triple axels during the show season. He could have been on the National team to worlds for the last two years.:cry: -Obviously, he's super happy doing all the TV shows and having a (growing) family. At least we get to see him at Japan Open and Medalists on Ice and all the shows. Get on that Podium Nobu!

asiacheetah

On the Ice
I was aware he was doing 3lz 3loop 3flip to save his knee... I think some of you misread what I wrote. I wrote that 4lutz coming later or not, starting with the lower point jumps is another way to raise base value IF EVER the 4lutz never comes... so well.. what can i say? you guys know for sure that the 4lutz is coming and know for sure that if it doesn't come he will use the 4loop first layout...

hence my comment about crystal balls... :scard7:

I was responding to you because I think you forgot about his solo Quad Toe in the second half. It wasn't really about his ACI layout so much as he's planning 5 Quads with 3 in the second half. He's had that announcement since pre ACI. I think you said something about him planning 4 quads? I don't know. It's been a few days. Edit: it's been ONE day?!? lol

Patrick was supposed to be at Nebelhorn last week but withdrew. He is healthy and was seen all week skating in Vancouver (instagram of young skaters skating with him) . "official news" per lynn rutherford : he his breaking in new boots.

I think the final flight will be very similar if not identical. I think Kolyada could be knocking on the door of the final flight...

I'm glad he's doing okay.

I thought Kolyada had a lot of enthusiasm that translates well to the audience when I saw him live. I'm not 100% sold on him and his artistry, but he seems like a fun kid.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was responding to you because I think you forgot about his solo Quad Toe in the second half. It wasn't really about his ACI layout so much as he's planning 5 Quads with 3 in the second half. He's had that announcement since pre ACI. I think you said something about him planning 4 quads? I don't know. It's been a few days. Edit: it's been ONE day?!? lol

I'm glad he's doing okay.

I thought Kolyada had a lot of enthusiasm that translates well to the audience when I saw him live. I'm not 100% sold on him and his artistry, but he seems like a fun kid.

hadn't forgotten about the second 4toe...

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice
My dream podium would be:

Yuzuru Hanyu
Javier Fernandez
Patrick Chan

In no particular order because I just wanted these three together on the podium and I don't want to curse them by fixing any medal to their name... :yay:

But the probability of that obviously quite low considering how strong Boyang, Shoma and Nathan is.

Shoma seems to have discovered the magical fountain of relieving nerves that Roger Federer has been drinking from because he now seems to have a good track of mental nerves management (He said he found himself calm when he don't think much of anything when he skate) So someone like him with the arsenal that he has is a major threat for GOLD. But it is his 1st Olympics who knows which way he will go but he would definitely not going to be too low than 4th.

Boyang might co-own that magical fountain with Federer because he seems to be strong mentally since he was born. He was so happy and keep pushing happily, people underestimate him or putting expectation on him... he just move along freaking happily and that is dangerous, his only loophole is artistry, he's there but not almost there as Shoma. But medals definitely within sight.

Nathan found the magical fountain of relieving nerves but then he forgot the address to get the supply :palmf: anyway~ his quads arsenal that used to be stapled on him was challenged-accepted quickly by Shoma and Boyang so he's kind of on par with instead of ahead of them. If he improves the quality of flow in his program, it would complete his package but like the other two, a medal is high probability.

So with these three very very serious threat, it really is a tough field and the most exciting field (for me of course).

Hanyu can get that Gold if he keep listening to Orser in terms of mental game instead of being his perfectionist self because that's what keep messing with his mind. But for the past four years with all the media/fans craze and expectation, he is at least I think prepared with the pressure that would come with being reigning Olympic champ and World champ. His enemy is himself.

I almost partially wish Patrick could get the Gold instead so that he and Hanyu can have the same set. :biggrin: but his artistry is his weapon and he is capable of getting 100+, 200+=300+ score but as we can see at the last world, even a 300+ score is not enough to podium.

Javi definitely has to podium! He is waaaayy too polished and good to not get Olympic medals attached to his name alongside his other accomplishment. He has proven he can countless time so I really hope the stars aligned for him to get that.

I don't want to discuss the technical part of how these man can compete against each other and who can win based on their previous result because it has been discussed extensively and more also because IMO it's not valid at all. Using that as previous reference to prove the capability of them to compete at the top with each other and which one of them is in the loop for the medal, yes but to use it as a benchmark who would has a better chance this season, no. Nobody knows, the ice is slippery, anything can happen.

Finally, JULIAN YEE QUALIFIED YO! and his scores at Nebelhorn shows that he is able to go to the finals if he keeps improving at this pace. Aside from going to finals, I would also be happy if he place well decent enough. :hap10:

All jokes aside though, I really hope that this competition will be a mark in history of how artistry and technical can be move forward together if any of those who won put together a clean skate both short and long and a skate to remember. It's a lot to ask but should we get that, all these men who has been pushing the limit would get the reward worth for their effort in accepting the challenge to push their sport despite being criticized for leaning heavily on quads. Whoever win with those two elements intact could squash the doubts.

Well that got long. :pray:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The only top man's programs left to watch are Patrick Chan's. Gosh, this will be a very exciting season. For me personally, though, the excitment doesn't lie in the programs.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan's msg to fans, and his understandings regarding his FS program from his own mouth
https://www.facebook.com/nathanJPFan...3485043725258/
I thought it is valuable to be posted here.

Thank you for posting this. When I listened, I found out Nathan did his SP at Japan Open ... at the exhibition. So I found it, and it's fabulous. A much better performance of it than at SLC ... although I liked his SLC red shirt.

Here's a link to the performance. It's just incredible, so much like an exhibition, a dance on ice, with jumps. It puts a smile on my face before I realize it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu4yHyXhaXw

shine

Record Breaker
Thank you for posting this. When I listened, I found out Nathan did his SP at Japan Open ... at the exhibition. So I found it, and it's fabulous. A much better performance of it than at SLC ... although I liked his SLC red shirt.

Here's a link to the performance. It's just incredible, so much like an exhibition, a dance on ice, with jumps. It puts a smile on my face before I realize it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu4yHyXhaXw
Yeah, it is. I've watched it so many times since. Such intensity and abandon just like the song demands. The red was nice as it emphasized a stroke of passion but I prefer the rolled up sleeves as they show off his beautiful arm movement to the musical nuances throughout the program. I badly want him to skate this program like this in competitions.

Tahuu

On the Ice

This video has much better HD sound quality and no commentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_jIoYv8c0E. Nathan's nemesis may be one of the best SPs of this Olympic season.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This video has much better HD sound quality and no commentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_jIoYv8c0E. Nathan's nemesis may be one of the best SPs of this Olympic season.

:agree:

Yeah, it is. I've watched it so many times since. Such intensity and abandon just like the song demands.
The red was nice as it emphasized a stroke of passion but I prefer the rolled up sleeves as they show off his beautiful arm movement to the musical nuances throughout the program. I badly want him to skate this program like this in competitions.

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who's watched this so many times! I'm obsessed.:hap93: Your word choice is perfect... intensity and abandon.

I agree with you about the rolled up sleeves in the black outfit, I'd only looked at the red skate once before posting this. I found myself noticing his arms a lot in the black outfit ... how much his arms and hands contribute to his artistry and to my enjoyment. One example is at 2:52-2:55, where one of his spin positions is one of my fave spin positions anyway, but the contrasting color with his arms accentuates the shape the spin makes.

There's one place, in his exit from the 4T, where it seems like he's the one who's making the music speed up! So cool.:bow::dance3:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who's watched this so many times! I'm obsessed.:hap93: Your word choice is perfect... intensity and abandon.

I agree with you about the rolled up sleeves in the black outfit, I'd only looked at the red skate once before posting this. I found myself noticing his arms a lot in the black outfit ... how much his arms and hands contribute to his artistry and to my enjoyment. One example is at 2:52-2:55, where one of his spin positions is one of my fave spin positions anyway, but the contrasting color with his arms accentuates the shape the spin makes.

There's one place, in his exit from the 4T, where it seems like he's the one who's making the music speed up! So cool.:bow::dance3:

So right! Nathan Chen's SP is fantastic this year. Once he can complete the program with the two quads and with more emotional intensity, which I saw a little bit from his recent Carnival on Ice performance, this will be a stunner! :)

da96103

Record Breaker
As the first GP Rostelecom is going to start next week, let's look at

2017/2018 Pre-GP Quad Progress

US CLASSIC
Nathan Chen: 4Lo GOE +1.60 Nathan becomes the fourth person to do the 4Lo (after Krasnozhon, Hanyu and Uno) *. This also means Nathan has successfully executed all 5 non-axel quads. Will be awaiting for all five to appear in one long program.
Yaroslav Paniot: 4F GOE +1.00 Yaroslav becomes the third person to do the 4F (after Uno and Nathan)
Daniel Samohin: 4Lo carrot fall

*Nic Nadeau has landed 4Lo at Canadian Nationals 2017 earlier.

LOMBARDIA
Shoma Uno: 4S GOE +0.80 Shoma also successfully executed his first 5-quad program. He now has 4 different non-axel quads, missing 4Lz.

AUTUMN CLASSIC
No new quads

ONDREJ NEPELA
Alexander Samarin: 4Lz carrot fall
Mikhail Kolyada: 4Lz fall
Mikhail Kolyada: 4Lz GOE +2.00 Mikhail becomes the 4th person to do the 4Lo (after Mroz, Jin and Chen) He now has three different non-axel quads, missing 4F and 4Lo.
Alexander Samarin: 4Lz double carrot fall

NEBELHORN
No new quads

[COLOR="#00800"]FINLANDIA
Vincent Zhou: 4F (in combination +3T) GOE +0.50.
Vincent Zhou: 4F solo GOE +1.17
Vincent becomes the 4th person to do the 4F (after Uno, Nathan and Paniot). He now has 4 different non-axel quads, missing 4Lo.
Adam Rippon: 4Lz carrot fall
Kevin Reynolds: 4Lo double carrot[/COLOR]

So that's it folks. If I am missing someone in the seniors or those in the junior competition, please let me know.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As the first GP Rostelecom is going to start next week, let's look at

2017/2018 Pre-GP Quad Progress

US CLASSIC
Nathan Chen: 4Lo GOE +1.60 Nathan becomes the fourth person to do the 4Lo (after Krasnozhon, Hanyu and Uno). This also means Nathan has successfully executed all 5 non-axel quads. Will be awaiting for all five to appear in one long program.
Yaroslav Paniot: 4F GOE +1.00 Yaroslav becomes the third person to do the 4F (after Uno and Nathan)
Daniel Samohin: 4Lo carrot fall

LOMBARDIA
Shoma Uno: 4S GOE +0.80 Shoma also successfully executed his first 5-quad program. He now has 4 different non-axel quads, missing 4Lz.

AUTUMN CLASSIC
No new quads

ONDREJ NEPELA
Alexander Samarin: 4Lz carrot fall
Mikhail Kolyada: 4Lz fall
Mikhail Kolyada: 4Lz GOE +2.00 Mikhail becomes the 4th person to do the 4Lo (after Mroz, Jin and Chen) He now has three different non-axel quads, missing 4F and 4Lo.
Alexander Samarin: 4Lz double carrot fall

NEBELHORN
No new quads

[COLOR="#00800"]FINLANDIA
Vincent Zhou: 4F (in combination +3T) GOE +0.50.
Vincent Zhou: 4F solo GOE +1.17
Vincent becomes the 4th person to do the 4F (after Uno, Nathan and Paniot). He now has 4 different non-axel quads, missing 4Lo.
Adam Rippon: 4Lz carrot fall
Kevin Reynolds: 4Lo double carrot[/COLOR]

So that's it folks. If I am missing someone in the seniors or those in the junior competition, please let me know.

Nic Nadeau landed a 4loop at Canadian Nationals....

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So right! Nathan Chen's SP is fantastic this year. Once he can complete the program with the two quads and with more emotional intensity, which I saw a little bit from his recent Carnival on Ice performance, this will be a stunner! :)

It's great strategy from Nathan. With this SP, he's showing that he has artistry and performance quality to compete with the best. He still needs to include the 3A in the program. But getting the choreo and performance qualities first is wise; I have full confidence he can work the jumps in as the season progresses. Then, in the FS, where he was criticized last year for doing so many quads (ha ha!), which do require a few more seconds of prep, he can work on getting entrances and exits with more complexity. There's lots of room for the FS to grow and develop.