2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 144 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Absolutely. It's clear that good technical performances magically raise PCS scores quite often without good reason. So Tech comes first for Mirai. She's been around long enough that the judges will raise her PCS if she lands that axel AND other triples.

She also has to show some connection with the music. So far there has been none, either in terms of body movement or facial expression.

Mirai landed all her jumps cleanly in the FS at 4CC 2017 and still got PCS scores only in the 7s, while Gabby Daleman had two mistakes and got all 8s.

The judges want more than just a technical exercise. They want a performance. Mirai executes her elements, but she doesn't perform her program---and music is an integral part of that program.

andromache

Record Breaker
She also has to show some connection with the music. So far there has been none, either in terms of body movement or facial expression.

Mirai landed all her jumps cleanly in the FS at 4CC 2017 and still got PCS scores only in the 7s, while Gabby Daleman had two mistakes and got all 8s.

The judges want more than just a technical exercise. They want a performance. Mirai executes her elements, but she doesn't perform her program---and music is an integral part of that program.

If Mirai had landed all her jumps cleanly at her GP events and Nationals and was a World team member, judges would've been more generous at 4CCs, regardless of her lack of performance.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Lol, you are too kind. I am just an amateur SS uber who got hooked after seeing Yuka once in an exhibition and managing to catch Mao Asada live in a 4cc competition! Hmm she didn't have a lot of power and huge speed but with one push, she moved smoothly over long distance just using her knees and leaning edge. When you see them skate live, you can immediately see and hear the difference between the smooth gliders, deep edges and those who are more average to mediocre. I also got to see even Yuna Kim once in an exhibition and while she is very fast, you can tell that her glide wasn't quite as smooth as Asada or Yuka's. After a while, you learn how to superimpose what you see on video to how they will possibly look like live. Will love to see how PChan and CaroK will look live on ice and definitely Virtue/Moir and especially Guillaume Cizeron!

just wanna say, disagree with your comments about Yuna's SS. just my opinion. Watched Yuna in person twice, one in exhibition, one in competition (that including all practices and gala, BTW, watch Yuna live is one of the MOST precious moment in my life), watched Mao, 3 times in person in competitions (including all practices and gala). But I do agree that Yuka Sato's SS is really great.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@frida80
skate blade sound is a good indicator of SS, but is not absolutely quite is the best. it depends on what specific moves skaters are doing, at what speed/depth and even skaters' weight. However, blade sound is a very good indicator. One skater Patrick I think has one of the best SS. his blade sound has been described in many different ways by commentators.
the blade sound is recorded very clear in this COC, I would suggest you hear Han's and compare to Zagi's. Han's is not necessary quieter than Zagi, but his is what good SS should sound like.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If Mirai had landed all her jumps cleanly at her GP events and Nationals and was a World team member, judges would've been more generous at 4CCs, regardless of her lack of performance.

You see, this is the kind of crap I hate most about skating. :disagree: The politics, the favoritism, and the bias toward (or against!) certain credentials or nationalities. And some fans seem to accept or even endorse this. :palmf: (want to be clear: not singling you or anyone out here, just making a general comment)

Is it *really that difficult* to just judge based on what the skater does that night? :disapp:

Icey

Record Breaker
After watching the Videos, I am even more puzzled at some of the scores being given by the judges. That being said, it must be an incredibly difficult task.

Globetrotter

Medalist
just wanna say, disagree with your comments about Yuna's SS. just my opinion. Watched Yuna in person twice, one in exhibition, one in competition (that including all practices and gala, BTW, watch Yuna live is one of the MOST precious moment in my life), watched Mao, 3 times in person in competitions (including all practices and gala). But I do agree that Yuka Sato's SS is really great.

I didn't imply that Yuna was not awesome to watch in an exhibition. Just that visually, her basic gliding and ease of gaining speed through the edges were not as impressive as what Yuka or Mao put up. It does not suggest that Yuna did not put up a great performance on ice.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I didn't imply that Yuna was not awesome to watch in an exhibition. Just that visually, her basic gliding and ease of gaining speed through the edges were not as impressive as what Yuka or Mao put up. It does not suggest that Yuna did not put up a great performance on ice.
again, disagree( I do mean disagree on SS specifically). won't go into too much details, since it will become one of those thing, but I do will give a specific account for the worth/value of this post . When I watched Yuna's EX fever, she is doing hip-hop, which by nature is not smooth and floating like normal lyrical skating, Yet the most impressive thing, I witnessed, (really surprised me), is her floating (I call it instant transportation) across the ice while she is doing hip-hop chest-popping on her upper body, yet floating on one leg at the same time.
@Globetrotter if you really interested in SS (not just your fav skater's SS:biggrin:), we can discuss thru private msg, I could give you my detailed impression of many top ladies' SS that I have watched live.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Mariah made mistakes as expected.😕 Judges don’t score her terribly, I’ve noticed; maybe she’ll pull up in the lp.

The highest ladies sp this season for US is only 65.☹️

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I was really impressed with Mirai today. I haven't seen her really perform like that and in a while. Hopefully staying on feet in the SP will give her confidence going into the long. She can rotate her jumps- we've seen her do it.

I really think her downfall is confidence, when she hesitates she under rotates. When she really attacks she has beautiful triples.

tosca

On the Ice
Mirai posted the highest SP score for the US ladies this season!

It was far from perfect - but there was so much fight and her performance is returning. 65 for an imperfect program and low PCS? I will take it! I know she can get to 70... i believe!

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
Mirai posted the highest SP score for the US ladies this season!

It was far from perfect - but there was so much fight and her performance is returning. 65 for an imperfect program and low PCS? I will take it! I know she can get to 70... i believe!

Well technically, Karen has the highest sp international best this season (66 from international classic..which I think is maybe her second highest she has ever gotten) so far, but Mirai has the highest one on the grand prix circuit...aka, the US ladies have not been lighting it on fire with their scores, but I was still happy to see her skate with some more attack, and hopefully she can rotate in the LP. Her LP score from Rostelecom, Ashley's from Skate Canada, and Mariah's LP scores from Rostelecom were pretty close (I believe that Ashley and Mirai both got 122 and change and Mariah had a 124), hopefully Mirai can improve on her LP season's best in the free. She has always done better at her second grand prix event.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I still think Karen has the best chance of best finish at the Olympics among all the American ladies. I think she can really get it done when it really matters (e.g. last year's nationals, Worlds - 4th place is a pretty good finish!). She's a good SP skater which would be to her advantage when going into the long. I think she just needs a really good finish at Skate American + Nationals and she would definitely be in for the Olympic team. :)

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm still thinking Ashley and Mariah are the US's best hope. Karen is too inconsistent. She has a great skate and looks wonderful every now and then. Same with Mirai. We all keep hoping Mirai will get it together. It's amazing how many points she lost today after the review. Tells me that her skating is still sloppy and her URs are killing her. She looked really good, clearly was fighting for everything but came up short yet again. Just like every other discipline this year, the ladies at Nats is going to be a crapshoot. Anyone can win.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I still think Karen has the best chance of best finish at the Olympics among all the American ladies. I think she can really get it done when it really matters (e.g. last year's nationals, Worlds - 4th place is a pretty good finish!). She's a good SP skater which would be to her advantage when going into the long. I think she just needs a really good finish at Skate American + Nationals and she would definitely be in for the Olympic team. :)

With Gold out, I have to concur that a revitalized Chen is the US' best hope moving forward. But, her wild inconsistency cannot be overlooked...

noskates said:
We all keep hoping Mirai will get it together. It's amazing how many points she lost today after the review. Tells me that her skating is still sloppy and her URs are killing her. She looked really good, clearly was fighting for everything but came up short yet again. Just like every other discipline this year, the ladies at Nats is going to be a crapshoot. Anyone can win.

Honestly - If Nagasu was EVER going to "get it together", it would have happened by now. She's been on the senior scene for **TEN YEARS** now. This is just what she is - an inconsistent skater who lacks mental toughness, let's accept it. She would be in good company here. It *MAY* come together for her eventually at some competition in the future, but it'll be a fluke more than anything else.

Reminds me of Cohen mid-2000s - people were waiting for her to "get it together" - well, they waited her whole career without realizing or accepting that that's the skater she was, and never stopped expecting her to be something she couldn't be, especially after several seasons of similar competitive trends.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly - If Nagasu was EVER going to "get it together", it would have happened by now. She's been on the senior scene for **TEN YEARS** now. This is just what she is - an inconsistent skater who lacks mental toughness, let's accept it. She would be in good company here. It *MAY* come together for her eventually at some competition in the future, but it'll be a fluke more than anything else.

Reminds me of Cohen mid-2000s - people were waiting for her to "get it together" - well, they waited her whole career without realizing or accepting that that's the skater she was, and never stopped expecting her to be something she couldn't be, especially after several seasons of similar competitive trends.

Mirai is 24 and she is about as good as she is ever going to be. She may occasionally have a cleanish performance, but she is never going to be a consistent jumper, or an outgoing, exciting performer.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mirai is 24 and she is about as good as she is ever going to be. She may occasionally have a cleanish performance, but she is never going to be a consistent jumper, or an outgoing, exciting performer.

Mirai is certainly good enough to make the World/Olympic teams, if only because there is no depth in the US women's field. One problem I'm noticing is that all her jumps besides the 3A are less consistent, and she can't afford not to adequately train those.