Medvedeva WDs from GPF | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva WDs from GPF

Alex D

Record Breaker
How so? What is different than if Medvedeva was still competing next week? Is her injury bad?

I believe it´s about building points for the Olympics. If Alina wins the GPF, then her reputation gains a boost, so that she automatically gets more points in PC´s. PC´s are what holds her back right now, compared to Evgenia.

In my opinion, while not wrong, it´s not a given. Adelina always lost to Yulia and yet won gold at the Olympics. If you skate rock solid at the biggest event of your career, then no judge can deny you the gold. I also think that Wakaba has that Sotnikova underdog thing, don´t count her out.

The gold for Russian skaters is not yet secure.

skatespin

On the Ice
I have to say, I've never been Evgenia's biggest fan, but I respect that she withdrew with enough time for an alternate to go. As well as hinted earlier on that she was injured and might be withdrawing, so today's announcement isn't really news to Satoko, but just confirmation.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I have to say, I've never been Evgenia's biggest fan, but I respect that she withdrew with enough time for an alternate to go. As well as hinted earlier on that she was injured and might be withdrawing, so today's announcement isn't really news to Satoko, but just confirmation.

Don´t skaters as alternatives need to be at the event anyways? I always thought that you must still travel to the event, even if you won´t skate.

pearly

Record Breaker
I believe it´s about building points for the Olympics. If Alina wins the GPF, then her reputation gains a boost, so that she automatically gets more points in PC´s. PC´s are what holds her back right now, compared to Evgenia.

In my opinion, while not wrong, it´s not a given. Adelina always lost to Yulia and yet won gold at the Olympics. If you skate rock solid at the biggest event of your career, then no judge can deny you the gold. I also think that Wakaba has that Sotnikova underdog thing, don´t count her out.

The gold for Russian skaters is not yet secure.

No, I don't think so. After Evgenia's past two seasons (and this season so far), missing GPF is not such a big deal. Her reputation won't suffer much I think, she's been one of the most consistent female skaters we've had for a long time. I understand Alina is on the same track, but still don't think this will hurt Medvedeva much.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Tbh without Medvedeva there seems like all pressure from the Russian fed is on Zagitova. I'm pretty sure mentally this situation is harder for Zagitova than if Med was there.

TheCzar

On the Ice
And Osmond. ;)

Yes....and no. Osmond as we have seen is prone to unravelling, and of the six, she and Sotskova are the least likely to end up with gold if all ladies skate lights out- you know damn well a clean Kostner will be rewarded. With the addition of Miyahara who just comes off a great showing at SA, she too can possibly end up on the podium.

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
Tbh without Medvedeva there seems like all pressure from the Russian fed is on Zagitova. I'm pretty sure mentally this situation is harder for Zagitova than if Med was there.

Me too. I was hoping she would shine here because she was going to skate only for herself and not for team Eteri as the only skater. I now wonder whether Eteri will be there in the Final, she usually sends other members (usually Daniil with Alina) out of Europe.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes....and no. Osmond as we have seen is prone to unravelling, and of the six, she and Sotskova are the least likely to end up with gold if all ladies skate lights out- you know damn well a clean Kostner will be rewarded. With the addition of Miyahara who just comes off a great showing at SA, she too can possibly end up on the podium.

On paper, Osmond can score well enough to win. She'll need help from Zagitova -- but Zagitova also has yet to skate a clean SP.

It is really hard to predict for certain who will win though because all these ladies have score in the mid-210 area, except for Sotskova. http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2017-18/sbtslto.htm

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Me too. I was hoping she would shine here because she was going to skate only for herself and not for team Eteri as the only skater. I now wonder whether Eteri will be there in the Final, she usually sends other members (usually Daniil with Alina) out of Europe.

I'm pretty sure she'll be there as there are not just Alina, but 4 junior girls and one boy from her group who qualified to the final

On paper, Osmond can score well enough to win. She'll need help from Zagitova -- but Zagitova also has yet to skate a clean SP.

Zagitova is working on changes in her SP to make it more comfortable, this program is crazy difficult and once the changes are made, I think it's very likely for her to skate clean, and surely waaay more likely than clean LP from Osmond.

My dream podium would be 1. Alina 2. Wakaba 3. Osmod but I think it will be more like 1. Alina 2. Miyahara (GPF in Japan, so it's unlikely she will get any URs) 3. Kostner (she is rewarded no matter how she skates, if she is clean they give her crazy GOEs to up her TES, if she is not - they give her crazy PCS to make up for her mistakes)

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Count me among the sad but relieved. I am sad for Evgenia that she is missing when she clearly wants to compete but am also relieved she is taking the time to rest. She doesn't really lose anything by not skating but by skating she could hurt herself more. Remember, Yuna had a similar injury before Sochi and missed the entire GP season. She still had a fantastic skate at the Olympics. Evgenia needs to rest so she is recovered and healthy when it really matters. She deserves that Olympic gold.

Eclair

Medalist
wishing Evgenia a speedy recovery!

Does anybody know whether the injury was more specified in the announcement of the fed? I saw on twitter that they mentioned a leg injury - does that imply her foot injury is now healed already and it's only her legs (they were taped at her GP earlier) bothering her? Or is 'leg' in Russian include the foot, too?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Ok so Mao Asada wasn’t at gpf and she still was main Yuna opponent at Olympics so gpf is small in big picture.

You don't even have to go that far

Sotnikova had a pretty poor showing in the post olympic GPF finishing 5th
And come Olympics got better GOE and PCS than all of the 3 World champions there and all of the
then GPF podium ladies

No one is gonna view Medvedeva any differently if she misses one GPF
She's still the most dominant force in Ladies skating this quadrennial and the favourite for the win

slider11

Medalist
I have such admiration for athletes who rationally accept their injury and respectfully withdraw in time for replacements to step in. This shows strong judgment, rational decision making and a good heart. Bravo Evgenia and Boyang! My hoipoe is that both will prosper at the Olympics!

Shandy

On the Ice
wishing Evgenia a speedy recovery!

Does anybody know whether the injury was more specified in the announcement of the fed? I saw on twitter that they mentioned a leg injury - does that imply her foot injury is now healed already and it's only her legs (they were taped at her GP earlier) bothering her? Or is 'leg' in Russian include the foot, too?

From what I understand, 'нога' doesn't really differentiate between 'leg' and 'foot', so I'm sure it's the foot injury we already know about. Google translates 'ноги' as 'legs', but lists 'feet' as the next most common meaning. Japanese similarly doesn't have a single word for 'foot'. :scratch2:

gmyers

Record Breaker
You don't even have to go that far

Sotnikova had a pretty poor showing in the post olympic GPF finishing 5th
And come Olympics got better GOE and PCS than all of the 3 World champions there and all of the
then GPF podium ladies

No one is gonna view Medvedeva any differently if she misses one GPF
She's still the most dominant force in Ladies skating this quadrennial and the favourite for the win

True Sotnikova won sp then really did terrible in lp.

Purv

Match Penalty
Dont worry, guys. You know where European Champioships are placed, right? Evgenia will get such score that no judge in Korea wont notice her absence in Nagoya.