Laurine Lecavelier | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Laurine Lecavelier

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Laurine looked extremely nervous to me when she started - her breathing seemed almost uncontrolled - and I’m sure the costume malfunction didn’t help. But without knowing what happened- and considering that the costume apparently worked fine last season - I’m not sure it’s fair to blame her coaching team for that or for the fact that she’s underperformed this season. I’m sure she wanted very badly to make the team and this was her last chance. That kind of pressure can wreak havoc on your ability to perform well.
Hi Tavi! I agree that Laurine's performances could be due to a number of factors beyond the coaching staff's control. However, some things are within the coaching staff's control, and I feel that they share a definite part in what happened with Laurine this year. The programs, the costumes, not being present. These are all practical things that should be executed flawlessly by the staff. Tutberidze's skater, for example, would never in a million years face such an issue.

I'm really not interested in getting into a long discussion about her coaching staff, because I know that they are well-loved and seem to be good people. Honestly, writing any of this in the first place is just motivated from my love for Laurine and wanting what's best for her. Like I said about, it's clearly nobody's business which coach she chooses. But it's hard to deny the facts: it's more than just Laurine's skating that's suffered this season.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Laurine looked extremely nervous to me when she started - her breathing seemed almost uncontrolled - and I’m sure the costume malfunction didn’t help. But without knowing what happened- and considering that the costume apparently worked fine last season - I’m not sure it’s fair to blame her coaching team for that or for the fact that she’s underperformed this season. I’m sure she wanted very badly to make the team and this was her last chance. That kind of pressure can wreak havoc on your ability to perform well.

Well, it seems something snapped when she fell. Maybe her arms/whole body gotten in position that was unexpected and something broke.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree with what people have said here, but I do feel the need to add that if I have, I certainly didn't mean to start a debate over Laurine's coaching situation. In my opinion, Katia was good for Laurine, but only Laurine can know what's best for her in terms of getting to the next level as a competitor, and if Kori and her team felt like the right fit for her and she's happy there, then I totally support that.

Having said that, I do think there are a lot of growing pains still to work out on both ends that, like kevinVchicago said, aren't just on Laurine. In a situation like this, I think that sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better, but it's really unfortunate that all of these big changes had to happen in an Olympic season. I'm hopeful for next season!

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
It's really strange that there's been no news yet regarding the Ladies Olympic selection. Lauriault / Le Gac were already told, and they announced it on Facebook. I've been checking Maé-Bérénice's Twitter account, but nothing to report. :think:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hi Tavi! I agree that Laurine's performances could be due to a number of factors beyond the coaching staff's control. However, some things are within the coaching staff's control, and I feel that they share a definite part in what happened with Laurine this year. The programs, the costumes, not being present. These are all practical things that should be executed flawlessly by the staff. Tutberidze's skater, for example, would never in a million years face such an issue.

I'm really not interested in getting into a long discussion about her coaching staff, because I know that they are well-loved and seem to be good people. Honestly, writing any of this in the first place is just motivated from my love for Laurine and wanting what's best for her. Like I said about, it's clearly nobody's business which coach she chooses. But it's hard to deny the facts: it's more than just Laurine's skating that's suffered this season.

Hi Kevin - I totally understand. And I feel really bad for Laurine. Just briefly regarding her coaching situation: I’m sure she had a good reason for making the change initially, but I’m equally sure that if she decides it was a mistake, she’ll move on.

Not quite sure what you mean by saying that it’s not just her skating that’s suffered this season? If you mean that a couple of Kori’s other skaters also underperformed this season, that’s true, but I’m not sure it’s her fault, and anyway, I don’t think Laurine’s thread is really the place to discuss those skaters. If you meant the visa and the wardrobe malfunction, I don’t know exactly what happened in either case, but I don’t think those things are necessarily the fault of her coaching team.

I guess I sound like I’m making excuses for Kori but I’m really not - I don’t know her at all, but I just think that sometimes stuff happens, no matter what you do. You can’t control everything unless you’re fully responsible for it. Remember a couple of years ago when Misha Ge had to withdraw from TEB because he couldn’t get a Visa? And regarding the costume, it was really unfortunate! But I think it’s a good idea to remember that unlike a big theater or commercial photo shoot, there’s no wardrobe mistress, dresser, or costume department - the skater keeps her costume herself, and probably dresses herself.

Slightly OT, but I do have a kind of funny second hand costume story: I was once told by a much older singer about a costume mishap he’d had: he was playing a giant, and had to wear a large false head that completely covered his own; he was supposed to see and sing through the mouth hole, but during the first performance, he turned his head to the side and got stuck. He ended up unable to see the conductor, and barely able to sing out the ear hole! The moral of his story: always, always, always check your costumes and props at the dress rehearsal. Again, not to minimize how upsetting the wardrobe malfunction probably was to Laurine, and not to put any blame on her - just to say again, sometimes stuff happens.

Anyway, I like Laurine very much and hope she’s able to move past this really disappointing experience and give us some great skates in the future! :)

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Not quite sure what you mean by saying that it’s not just her skating that’s suffered this season? If you mean that a couple of Kori’s other skaters also underperformed this season, that’s true, but I’m not sure it’s her fault, and anyway, I don’t think Laurine’s thread is really the place to discuss those skaters. If you meant the visa and the wardrobe malfunction, I don’t know exactly what happened in either case, but I don’t think those things are necessarily the fault of her coaching team.

Hi Tavi - just wanted to clarify about my comment which you referred to. What I meant was that, on top of her skating (meaning performances at all events) regressing badly this season, seemingly every aspect of Laurine's presentation and preparation was at a lower level. I wasn't thinking of Kori's other skaters, actually. There were unforced errors when it came to Laurine's season, when the Olympic spot was on the line.

Most importantly, I was thinking of Laurine's programs. Her SP last season was breathtaking and unique in terms of concept and choreography, but above all else an incredibly personal work of art in its essence and generation. It felt in its own league in terms of artistry. Her FS was innovative and well-conceived as well and became a big sensation.

This year, the team fumbled. Both original programs were scrapped. The FS was first mangled before IdF and Laurine looked really unprepared. Then it was scrapped very, very late in the season in what seemed like a last-ditch effort that was doomed to fail. Who knows how much this had to do with the working relationship between Bourzat and Kori/Rohene.

However, if you look at the way Chen or Bell's teams handled program changes this year, everything was worked out well before American Nationals. The ladies were prepared for that crucial event. Laurine's team started on a bad foot and then went from bad to worse, meanwhile handling everything in a haphazard way.

In terms of the costume - in the first place, it seemed thoughtless to me to send her out again for her GREASE FS in the same costume, when from an aesthetic point of view the costume has always looked homemade. Also, there was no X factor anymore, because the whole performance was nothing more than a pale, unfortunate copy of last year's triumph.

In terms of the malfunction, I do blame the team. It wasn't an error in the way she'd dressed herself. It came unsnapped when she got herself into the wrong position; a costume for figure skating should never present that risk. Judging from the fact that the costume was a year and a half old and not beautifully constructed in the first place, the risk of wear and tear and snaps becoming loose would have been high.

In terms of the visa problems - fine to give the team the benefit of the doubt - but... I mean Silvia Hugec's team managed to get their butts to Moscow on time...

You may think my standards are too high. But, in my opinion Laurine deserves the ABSOLUTE best. And I believe that many things could have been foreseen and should have been avoided. When someone is on the brink of a breakthrough, it's a crucial moment that may not present itself again. For Laurine's sake, I really hope it does.

Just my thoughts. Watching Laurine this season was very upsetting and sad indeed.

Flagstaff

Rinkside
Who knows how much this had to do with the working relationship between Bourzat and Kori/Rohene.
There was never any real working relationship between Fabian and Kori/Rohene. Fabian choreographed Laurine's programs last year, then started to work for a short while on the Ashram SP that was ditched later. Rohene choreographed both the Michel Legrand SP and the Marilyn LP, and made a few adjustments to the Grease Lp when it was decided she would revert to it for the rest of the season. Fabian has never worked either with Kori or Rohene, he is just at Laurine's side when Kori cannot be there (like at Nationals, but she was there at French Masters) but he is not her coach or even part of her coaching team and never was.

However, if you look at the way Chen or Bell's teams handled program changes this year, everything was worked out well before American Nationals. The ladies were prepared for that crucial event. Laurine's team started on a bad foot and then went from bad to worse, meanwhile handling everything in a haphazard way.
It is hard to compare the work that was done with other skaters in the team and which started in the spring when Laurine first came for a test, then flew back to France where she had to stay for a while, while papers and visa stuff were made for her to move to the US. She came back to Colorado when the others already had programs built and ready to go. All that was nobody's fault, just a matter of necessary time for necessary papers.

In terms of the costume - in the first place, it seemed thoughtless to me to send her out again for her GREASE FS in the same costume, when from an aesthetic point of view the costume has always looked homemade.
That is a personal point of view that neither Laurine nor her former and actual teams share. When reverting to Grease was decided, there was no time to create a new outfit for this specific program and she wanted to keep the costume transformation mid-program because she liked it and still does.

In terms of the malfunction, I do blame the team. It wasn't an error in the way she'd dressed herself. It came unsnapped when she got herself into the wrong position; a costume for figure skating should never present that risk.
The snap fasteners had been changed a few days prior to the LP. They snapped open when Laurine almost fell and put both hands on the ice. Her shoulder came very briefly at an odd angle but it was enough to pull on the fabric to which the snaps/studs were sewn.

Judging from the fact that the costume was a year and a half old and not beautifully constructed in the first place, the risk of wear and tear and snaps becoming loose would have been high.
That's a costume she had worn a maximum of 7 times if I remember well. Considering how careful she is with her stuff, it was hardly falling to pieces. Before she got it back for Moscow, it was entirely checked by her seamstress, with adjustments done since Laurine had lost a little weight.

In terms of the visa problems - fine to give the team the benefit of the doubt - but..
I have a hard time picturing Kori stuck in Houston just for fun ;) There was indeed a problem with her visa. Maybe someone made a mistake when organizing the trip and is to blame, or it was simply the usual trouble you sometimes met traveling to Russia where administration is slow and not known for its efficiency. Laurine's skates also didn't arrive with her in Moscow, they got stuck somewhere on a stop over, and she had to go back to the airport to get them herself instead of practicing. She also had had trouble with her back a few weeks before Euros and had not been able to train in full before 1week prior to the competition. Bad luck has piled up since she left Nice and the blame can't be put on someone in particular. About Nice, all what I will allow myself to say is that there was no fall out with K. Gentelet, but that since she had personal problems to deal with, she could no longer provide proper coaching to Laurine. It's a pity because she had improved tremendously under her. Anyway, moving to the US would have happened sooner or later since Laurine and her significant other wanted to be geographically closer.

You seem pretty passionate about her but do not see everything in black and don't dramatize. It will be a season to forget but also one that will have taught her and her team valuable lessons. For now said season is not over and she is O.K. don't worry.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for your detailed explanations, @Flagstaff, that all makes sense.

Laurine has had a disappointing season, and of course her fans are disappointed. But I have no doubt that Laurine will make the decisions that are best for her, and her fans will no doubt continue to support her, whatever she decides.:agree:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
You seem pretty passionate about her but do not see everything in black and don't dramatize. It will be a season to forget but also one that will have taught her and her team valuable lessons. For now said season is not over and she is O.K. don't worry.

Hi Flagstaff, your in depth clarifications are very humbly appreciated.

When we all saw her devasted like that after the SP at Europeans, it was so terribly hard to watch. My heart broke. Seeing the costume malfunction, I felt such empathy for her because I am an actor. It's a nightmare when that happens. And that it should happen at such a crucial moment for her... quel cauchemar.

The season has been a hard one. As a simple spectator, I know nothing except for what I observe. When so many things have gone wrong, you search in the dark for a way to piece the puzzle together. This is especially true because sadly there are so few interviews with her. But, my opinion is of zero importance, and I realize that! I just want Laurine to do well and to be okay. [emoji22]

So, most importantly, it's good to know that Laurine's doing okay. You're right that I'm extremely passionate about her and her skating. She's my favorite skater of all time, and I would say that her work has even changed my life. Like any huge fan, I really do shout, scream, clap, laugh, sigh and weep with her triumphs and defeats. I really hope she knows that there are so many of us who love, admire and support her!

greig

Rinkside
Hey guys like ye all have said this season out has been rough for laurine,but I mean come on when is the Olympic spot going to be announced?I'm almost certain it's going to go to mae but I still have a tiny bit of hope they might throw caution to the wind and give to to laurine..either way i wish they would make the announcement soon and put both girls out of there misery.im not able for the tension😣😣

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Not sure if other people have seen already, but it was announced earlier today that Mae got the spot. Wonderful and well-deserved for her :clap:, but sadly no Pyongchang for our Laurine.

Flagstaff

Rinkside
Hey guys like ye all have said this season out has been rough for laurine,but I mean come on when is the Olympic spot going to be announced?I'm almost certain it's going to go to mae but I still have a tiny bit of hope they might throw caution to the wind and give to to laurine..either way i wish they would make the announcement soon and put both girls out of there misery.im not able for the tension😣😣
The fact it wasn't made public earlier doesn't mean Laurine and Maé didn't know before it was officially announced in the media ;) The French Federation isn't known for its equity and good grace but they are not into Chinese torture either. I mean , not all the time :laugh:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
The fact it wasn't made public earlier doesn't mean Laurine and Maé didn't know before it was officially announced in the media ;) The French Federation isn't known for its equity and good grace but they are not into Chinese torture either. I mean , not all the time [emoji23]
I hope Laurine was able to take everything in stride. I'm sure it was a disappointment for her.

sakurano

Final Flight
For me the decision is just I like both so it's sad that there is only 1spot. Laurine has had bad luck this year with his technique so I wish him a better season. Her Lp on Grease is great she did well to take it back but I must say that her programs last year were better; good luck Laurine ;)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For now said season is not over and she is O.K. don't worry.

I just remembered that the French federation is sending 8 skaters to Challenge Cup in The Hague at the end of this month, and started to wonder if Laurine will be one of them. I hope so!

Catlau

On the Ice
Are she and Fabian a couple? Saw it on an instagram post on Valentine's day about couples in skating and almost didn't believe it but then saw earlier posts on twitter about it as well.

Yes, Laurine and Fabian are a couple.

Flagstaff

Rinkside
15+ year difference is never a good thing, power imbalance and all, esp with the younger one being barely an adult.
Barely an adult? At 22? Laurine and Fabian met on a summer tour 2 years 1/2 ago. There was never any "power imbalance" between them as he was never her coach. And he became her choreographer after they'd been together for a while, not before. Anyway, being older than your significant other doesn't mean you have power over them. I'm 14 older than my life companion, we have been together for more than 10 years and I have no particular "power" over him. We're equals. So are Laurine and Fabian.

And to think he choreographed that Lolita program, very very jarring.
Except it's R. Ward who worked most of this choreography

We really don't need a Morozov 2.0. :shock2:
Comparing Fabian to Morozov is totally uncalled for and insulting. Laurine is far from being a silly and suggestible little girl. She is a level-headed adult who makes her own choices. What she certainly doesn't need is some fans to be judgmental about her private life.