Laurine Lecavelier | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Laurine Lecavelier

greig

Rinkside
That was really tough to watch yesterday. I couldn't help but start crying too when I saw Laurine cry. I imagine you're right that the stress was just too much with all of the added problems of the last weeks.

I wrote a message of encouragement and sent it to her training mate Jason Brown on Twitter. Maybe he will get it to her. I just hope she knows that she has a lot of fans who love and appreciate her incredible talent.

It really seems like things have been in a downward trajectory since her overnight success at Euros last year. I question whether Kori's team has done right by her. Many things seem to be off. I also thought she seemed to be really making huge strides with Katia Gentelet. I wonder what happened between them.

For a big American training organization to send her to the Grand Prix in France (IdF) so unprepared with a badly re-edited FS... that seemed a big red flag for me. She looked lost. I'm glad she's gone back to Grease, but I wonder if she's ready. It's upsetting that every choice her team made this season was seemingly a step in the wrong direction after last year. And then these circumstances with her coach not being present at Europeans... seems like disorganization on their part not to have a good back up plan. She looked totally alone and devastated yesterday. That's just not right.

I've read her say many times that she is planning to stay until 2022. She is working on a 3A and has long-term goals. But I'm worried about her after yesterday. I'm just wishing her the best tomorrow. What will be, will be. It seems that unfortunately this season Maé is in a better space mentally to take the Olympic spot. But, bon courage, Laurine! Hope to see a strong fight, and I believe in her as well!

I agree at this stage Mae is most likely to get the Olympic spot..even if laurine beats her tomorrow I reckon the French federation have already decided on mae..especially after nationals when they only ranked laurine 3rd In the free even though it was one of her best skates this season.Regardless of the outcome there is always next year and time is on her side..her skating skills have improved so much in general and she is a joy to watch.it was very upsetting to see her fall apart yesterday in the kiss and cry but it's just one of these things that will make her stronger and more determined going forward.fingers and toes crossed for her tomorrow🤞🤞🤞🤞

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree at this stage Mae is most likely to get the Olympic spot..even if laurine beats her tomorrow I reckon the French federation have already decided on mae..especially after nationals when they only ranked laurine 3rd In the free even though it was one of her best skates this season.Regardless of the outcome there is always next year and time is on her side..her skating skills have improved so much in general and she is a joy to watch.it was very upsetting to see her fall apart yesterday in the kiss and cry but it's just one of these things that will make her stronger and more determined going forward.fingers and toes crossed for her tomorrow🤞🤞🤞🤞

I completely agree. At this point, though I hate to say it, I think if the French fed decides to give Laurine the Olympic spot, it would be a huge disservice to Mae, who has proved herself on nearly every occasion this season. Unfortunately, it's just not Laurine's time, but like you said, if she's planning for 2022, she does have time to work some of these kinks out.

I really doubt that Kori Ade's team has done right by Laurine as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Kori has any other international skaters in her group, and in an Olympic season, let's be honest - I'm sure a lot of her focus was on Jason. I can't blame her, she practically helped raise him, but it is really sad to watch Laurine suffer when I'm sure she had high hopes of going to Pyongchang. Not to keep coming back to it, and I don't know if she and Katia Gentelet had some kind of falling out, but as far as I could tell, Laurine was Katia's only senior skater and that probably allowed for a lot of her focus to be just on Laurine. I'm no expert, but not unlike Mariah Bell I feel like Laurine would probably do best with someone who can give her more individualized attention and help her grow.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I completely agree. At this point, though I hate to say it, I think if the French fed decides to give Laurine the Olympic spot, it would be a huge disservice to Mae, who has proved herself on nearly every occasion this season. Unfortunately, it's just not Laurine's time, but like you said, if she's planning for 2022, she does have time to work some of these kinks out.

I really doubt that Kori Ade's team has done right by Laurine as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Kori has any other international skaters in her group, and in an Olympic season, let's be honest - I'm sure a lot of her focus was on Jason. I can't blame her, she practically helped raise him, but it is really sad to watch Laurine suffer when I'm sure she had high hopes of going to Pyongchang. Not to keep coming back to it, and I don't know if she and Katia Gentelet had some kind of falling out, but as far as I could tell, Laurine was Katia's only senior skater and that probably allowed for a lot of her focus to be just on Laurine. I'm no expert, but not unlike Mariah Bell I feel like Laurine would probably do best with someone who can give her more individualized attention and help her grow.
Yes, I think you're right about Laurine and Mariah. Although, if Laurine knocks it out of the park tomorrow, I think the French Fed might still send her, because her potential score is way higher than MB, and because of her work in the 16-17 season. Laurine is also way ahead of MB on PCS internationally. But, either way, it will be fair in my opinion.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, I think you're right about Laurine and Mariah. Although, if Laurine knocks it out of the park tomorrow, I think the French Fed might still send her, because her potential score is way higher than MB, and because of her work in the 16-17 season. Laurine is also way ahead of MB on PCS internationally. But, either way, it will be fair in my opinion.

That's true. With the number of opportunities they've given her, even now after Nationals, I think the French Fed really does want to send her. I think you're right - a lights out performance in the free tomorrow would give them the justification to do so. I like Mae, and if she is chosen I certainly won't be bitter in any way, but a clean (or at least clean-ish) Laurine has, as you said, far more scoring and PCS potential than Mae does at the moment.

greig

Rinkside
Just wondering is it just the Olympic spot that both mae and laurine are fighting for or does that include the worlds aswell.I will be going for the first time of my 28 years to see the world's in Milan this year..super excited by the way to see what it's like in person to be at an event and was really hoping to see laurine perform live.do france have two spots for worlds?

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
You're so lucky!! That sounds incredible and like so much fun! Based on just a quick Wikipedia search, it looks like France only has one ladies spot at Worlds too, unfortunately :tantrum:

greig

Rinkside
You're so lucky!! That sounds incredible and like so much fun! Based on just a quick Wikipedia search, it looks like France only has one ladies spot at Worlds too, unfortunately :tantrum:

It will be an experience to say the least.To say Im excited would be an understatement.😄ah no that's a shame now..was hoping both girls would be there..such is life..hopefully though fingers crossed laurine will get the spot.we shall see tomorrow how all this will play out🙊

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That's true. With the number of opportunities they've given her, even now after Nationals, I think the French Fed really does want to send her. I think you're right - a lights out performance in the free tomorrow would give them the justification to do so. I like Mae, and if she is chosen I certainly won't be bitter in any way, but a clean (or at least clean-ish) Laurine has, as you said, far more scoring and PCS potential than Mae does at the moment.

I also feel like they're looking for a reason to send Laurine - which has to be an unpleasant feeling for Mae-Berenice when she's been doing so well this season. And it's clear that when they're in the same competition, international judges are responding more positively to Laurine than to Mae-Berenice, partly because I think Laurine is still perceived as being on an upswing while Mae-Berenice is perceived to have plateau'd (we should all hit such a plateau!) and to be on her way down.

I suspect that if Laurine gets her combos done in the free skate, gets higher PCS than Mae-Berenice again, and has no falls or fewer falls than Mae-Berenice*, she'll be the one to go to the Olympics even if her TES is lower again. But if I'm wrong (and I kind of hope I am), they may still send Mae-Berenice to the Olympics and Laurine to Worlds. Particularly if the field at Worlds is depleted after the Olympics, Laurine still has a solid chance of getting two spots for France.

I wonder what would be the result if Laurine spent some time working with a solid jumps coach - one who understands how to with adult female skaters, like Orser or Mishin? Even a month or so might give her the breakthrough she needed.

*Speaking of which, I felt for Mae-Berenice after that fall, it was so hard she actually looked dazed for a moment afterwards.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not wanting to debate as to whether Kori is the right coach for Laurine; I will say, that what little I have read from Laurine, including an interview in a French newspaper, is that she appears happy at 7k. But maybe not now, I don't know.

But all the skaters and staff at 7k are supportive and fully behind Laurine: here is an IG Post with a lovely close-up photo of Laurine, and good luck wishes from rinkmate (US senior man) Ben Jalovick and (coach) Lara Ladret:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeJXsqggMys/?taken-by=skate7k

In addition, if I am not mistaken, Jason recently liked a certain poster's tweet asking that best wishes be conveyed to Laurine.;)

Vas-y, Laurine!:hap10:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
In addition, if I am not mistaken, Jason recently liked a certain poster's tweet asking that best wishes be conveyed to Laurine.;)

Vas-y, Laurine!:hap10:

Yes, it was very kind of him. But skating fans the world over know what a classy and beautiful person Mr. Brown is. I hope Laurine is aware that she has many fans who are so inspired by her.

Whether or not she's with the right coach is of course no one's business but hers. But it has been hard to watch her struggling this season. And everyone was heartbroken to see her so sad on Thursday. [emoji22] We all recognize what huge potential she has.

Because of the lack of training time and the rather serious problems with the FS this season, I fear that today will be yet another major test of her courage. But, like another poster wrote, I believe in Laurine.

Bon courage, Laurine! [emoji632]

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
It will be an experience to say the least.To say Im excited would be an understatement.[emoji1]ah no that's a shame now..was hoping both girls would be there..such is life..hopefully though fingers crossed laurine will get the spot.we shall see tomorrow how all this will play out[emoji87]
I haven't heard anything regarding the French Fed's nominations for World's. I would assume that this competition will also determine that choice. I'm so happy for you that you're going! That should be an amazing experience. I just got tickets for the 2018 Grand Prix Final in Vancouver today. Maybe Laurine will be there? (Well, at least we can dream, can't we? [emoji74])

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Boone chance to Laurine in the free skate tonight! It will be far too late for me to watch live, but I hope to see good news for her in the morning... :)

asiacheetah

On the Ice
I'm so sad about Laurine's FS performance. I really thought she had a special quality to her skating and would have liked seeing her at the Olympics, but after loosing to Mae at national and European, Mae earned her Olympic spot.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm so sad about Laurine's FS performance. I really thought she had a special quality to her skating and would have liked seeing her at the Olympics, but after loosing to Mae at national and European, Mae earned her Olympic spot.

I'm sad too - she's had a difficult competitive year, with bad reactions to both her original programs, and it's been hard to watch. But she does have a special quality to her work when she's 'on', and I do believe that she'll be able to stabilise herself and bring it to the fore again in the new season. And maybe we'll see her and Lea Serna at the next Olympics!

I read somewhere, though I can't remember where, that she's working on training a triple axel, and I would absolutely adore it if she could bring that in in the next couple of years. Her 2As are gorgeous, especially with the falling-leaf transition she does in her current SP. I think she'd be magnificent with a 3A.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Today was very depressing and sad. I just hope that Laurine's alright and that she's able to pull herself out of this and regroup. It was hard to watch her skate the program that brought her a triumph last season, but now without spark and with errors on nearly every element. The costume malfunction must have been a total nightmare for her. Sadly, it's the kind of thing that could have been prevented, and again I wonder where her coaching staff was on decisions such as that. Poor Laurine.

deedee1

Record Breaker
:ghug::ghug::ghug: to Laurine and her fans. :)
Not the two skates at this Euro that everyone including herself had wished, but she didn't give up on performing and kept attacking the program till the end. :thumbsup: Have some good rest now, Laurine. :)

Basho

Rinkside
I did not like the body language or facial expressions I saw from Kori in the K&C. It looked to me like she did not enjoy being
there and her smiles seemed forced. I think a coach change is in order.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I did not like the body language or facial expressions I saw from Kori in the K&C. It looked to me like she did not enjoy being
there and her smiles seemed forced. I think a coach change is in order.

Did you happen to notice that Kori held hands with Laurine before she sent her off to skate? Or that she hugged her when she got off the ice? Or that she put her arm around Laurine’s shoulders and hugged her after she got her scores? Because that body language suggests to me that Kori cares very much about Laurine, not that she didn’t want to be there. As to her facial expressions: the only thing I noticed is that she looked extremely tired and worn out - hardly surprising when you consider she was delayed in the US for several days with visa problems. She was probably just jet lagged.

Azikin

Medalist
Today was very depressing and sad. I just hope that Laurine's alright and that she's able to pull herself out of this and regroup. It was hard to watch her skate the program that brought her a triumph last season, but now without spark and with errors on nearly every element. The costume malfunction must have been a total nightmare for her. Sadly, it's the kind of thing that could have been prevented, and again I wonder where her coaching staff was on decisions such as that. Poor Laurine.

Exactly my thoughts...

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Exactly my thoughts...

Laurine looked extremely nervous to me when she started - her breathing seemed almost uncontrolled - and I’m sure the costume malfunction didn’t help. But without knowing what happened- and considering that the costume apparently worked fine last season - I’m not sure it’s fair to blame her coaching team for that or for the fact that she’s underperformed this season. I’m sure she wanted very badly to make the team and this was her last chance. That kind of pressure can wreak havoc on your ability to perform well.